I'm Breakfast Bored

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've suggested broiled tomatoes with cheese and basil but DH vetoed it. Anyone serve vegetable sides?.
UGH....not for my breakfast. Guess that's why I didn't like Irish breakfasts...sorry no offense to anyone.
Understand this would be a buffet choice. We always have cooked eggs, bacon and sausage and Something Else. Either pancakes, French toast, baked oatmeal, bread pudding....
So it wouldn't be the main dish. But your reaction was similar to my husband's.

I've suggested broiled tomatoes with cheese and basil but DH vetoed it. Anyone serve vegetable sides?.
UGH....not for my breakfast. Guess that's why I didn't like Irish breakfasts...sorry no offense to anyone.
Understand this would be a buffet choice. We always have cooked eggs, bacon and sausage and Something Else. Either pancakes, French toast, baked oatmeal, bread pudding....
This dish is quartered cherry tomatoes, tossed with herbs (basil and/or chives, usually), panko, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan, then baked in the oven for a short time. I serve on the side with eggs, usually, in a ramekin. They add color and I get clean plates back - I think it's also a nice veggie option for the summer.
I would love them on my own breakfast plate!

This dish is quartered cherry tomatoes, tossed with herbs (basil and/or chives, usually), panko, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan, then baked in the oven for a short time. I serve on the side with eggs, usually, in a ramekin. They add color and I get clean plates back - I think it's also a nice veggie option for the summer.
I would love them on my own breakfast plate!
wink_smile.gif
I love that for dinner or maybe brunch but not at 9 am

We do, with a savory entree: sautéed cherry tomatoes with herbs, caramelized onions with a small round of goat cheese, Campari sized tomatoes baked with a dollop of homemade pesto and cheese on top, cold corn-bean salad (with our Mexican egg entree). Some guests love it...others not so much. No matter what, it adds color and eye appeal to the plate with an egg entree.

We do, with a savory entree: sautéed cherry tomatoes with herbs, caramelized onions with a small round of goat cheese, Campari sized tomatoes baked with a dollop of homemade pesto and cheese on top, cold corn-bean salad (with our Mexican egg entree). Some guests love it...others not so much. No matter what, it adds color and eye appeal to the plate with an egg entree.
Silverspoon said:
i would kiss you.

Yes. A pop of color. My big peeve with plain potatoes for home fries is it's a big plate of beige. So I like having purple spuds, too.

Yes. A pop of color. My big peeve with plain potatoes for home fries is it's a big plate of beige. So I like having purple spuds, too.
Have you seen/heard of the purple and red cauliflower? A friend of mine grew them last year for their farm market. They brought them to a picnic as we all stared at it. They tasted like the regular stuff but gives color. Another thing they grow is yellow watermelon. They are smaller, sweeter, and totally yummy. Not so juicy which is another reason I like them over the red since I hate the juice running down my hands.

Silverspoon said:
i would kiss you.
Awww, you're making me blush.
embaressed_smile.gif
Would love to have you come and kiss me!

I just subscribed to the Extra Crispy newsletter - about breakfast and brunch - and the new Christopher Kimball endeavor, Milk Street Kitchen. I get bored with my offerings, too, although I'm not cooking breakfast every day now so it's easier for it to be exciting. If nothing else, the pics make me step up my garnish game..
How is that milk street? It keeps coming up in my news feed.
Click on the link and sign up for the free copy to see for yourself. I have been getting Cook's Illustrated forever...the bookshelf overflows with copies dating back to 1996. I love the fact that there is no advertising and the scientific approach appeals to me, even though the "art" of cooking creatively can get lost in the process.

med_mediterranean%20quiche%20%26%20tomatoes.jpg
med_Clean%20plates.JPG

Served the tomatoes this morning with a Mediterranean crustless quiche (feta and artichoke hearts) and Canadian bacon. Plates cleaned.

A sweet potato thrown in is nice also.

med_Clean%20plates.JPG

Served the tomatoes this morning with a Mediterranean crustless quiche (feta and artichoke hearts) and Canadian bacon. Plates cleaned..
I would have loved that breakfast! Healthy and satisfying. I am making one similar tomorrow morning: cheesy chive egg soufflé, sauteed tomatoes and Canadian bacon...standard fare here, and generally well received.

I served this exact thing the other day! I was worried about how it would be received, but the guests loved it and even requested the recipe!
I also sometimes serves prosciutto wrapped asparagus as a side. I get so tired of potatoes! I'm always looking for different side ideas!

med_Clean%20plates.JPG

Served the tomatoes this morning with a Mediterranean crustless quiche (feta and artichoke hearts) and Canadian bacon. Plates cleaned..
I would have loved that breakfast! Healthy and satisfying. I am making one similar tomorrow morning: cheesy chive egg soufflé, sauteed tomatoes and Canadian bacon...standard fare here, and generally well received.
Silverspoon said:
That sounds yum!

I had a gluten free a few days ago for whom I fixed fried mush (cornmeal boiled in water, refrigerated overnight and then fried). She had never had it before and I doubt she'll try it at home. Anyway for the side this am, I cut out 1.5 inch rounds from the left over mush, fried them up and used them as a base for a spoonful of guacamole, halved cherry tomatoes marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and some asparagus spears. Went over much better than as the main sweet entree.

I had a gluten free a few days ago for whom I fixed fried mush (cornmeal boiled in water, refrigerated overnight and then fried). She had never had it before and I doubt she'll try it at home. Anyway for the side this am, I cut out 1.5 inch rounds from the left over mush, fried them up and used them as a base for a spoonful of guacamole, halved cherry tomatoes marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and some asparagus spears. Went over much better than as the main sweet entree..
The rest of us call that polenta :)

I had a gluten free a few days ago for whom I fixed fried mush (cornmeal boiled in water, refrigerated overnight and then fried). She had never had it before and I doubt she'll try it at home. Anyway for the side this am, I cut out 1.5 inch rounds from the left over mush, fried them up and used them as a base for a spoonful of guacamole, halved cherry tomatoes marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and some asparagus spears. Went over much better than as the main sweet entree..
Generic said:
And when my guests are from California that's what I call it too
wink_smile.gif

Back