Inn Tuneups - Cost? Benefits?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We like this lady - http://creatingbookings.com/ - not pushy and not stupid price either, does a lot of business coaching. There is also http://bedandbreakfastcoach.com/ - however I don't like her style as much but that's a personal thing, definately gets results.
Thanks Jcam:
I've signed up for the free 1/2 hour skype consult with Yvonne Halling on Nov 30. I'll let you know how it goes. Bet anything the main advice will be to hire out the cleaning, and of course pony up for the paid advice.
As many of you know, hiring a cleaner/s is far easier said than done.
This is a link to her inn's site.
I wonder what the wise web ones would say about
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
this marketing tool on the site. In exchange for contact info, you can access a 'what to do in the area' guide.
Yvonne advocates the what I call "Bonding method" more work but people have an increased sense of loyalty, sending them things to do when they book, following up close to the arrival date with travel info and so on. Working with local attractions to give added value packages - all of which are common sense and your reservation software could send out at set dates etc.
My trouble is here there are only really 3 attractions (1) turkish baths - run by the council and won't do any deal with any one ever and to be fair they are booked out most of the time.
(2) Royal Horticultural SOciety Northern Headquarters (extensive gardens) mostly visited by members they have about 10 gardens all over and you pay an annual fee to go in any - so no advantage of discount there.
(3) Valley Gardens/STray - Massive parkland - free
(4) small museum and Gallery - free and council run
(5) theatres we have 3 venue's and have constantly hassled them about a discounted ticket on the day program they either won't do it or arnt' that organised ie they would send and email to me ie tickets left for X and I wold forward it to the B&B's so they could tell their guests there are still tickets for X for tonight and at £1 off etc.
She is all about adding value and getting the right guests for your property - ie not ones just focused on price. Its working out how to advertise in the right places to get those people
Thanks for that bit of info on adding things to do in the reminder email. I'll have to make a new email template for next year.

We had inn consultants come in to talk to us about their services and then they sent us a proposal on how we should take the place to the next level. I believe their quote was $3700 (in that ballpark). While they were walking around he kept talking about the fact that we needed to turn unused space in the lower level into a spa -- build out a couple spa rooms and offer those services. Even though I stressed that the last thing I wanted to deal with was more staff in an area where no one shows up to work routinely and the logistics of offering spa treatments, that's what he wanted to propose. So we didn't engage their services. Instead we marketed more and built the business up. Then WE analyzed the space and decided that we should built ourself a new house next to the B&B and turn our bedroom into the ultimate guest suite. Our kids rooms are now friends & family rooms with their own bath and eventually will be the space if we hire a live-in innkeeper.
So although their idea of what would make money might have been a good one in theory, for me the extra work, aggravation trying to schedule people and worrying that they won't show up was not something I wanted to add to my already busy days. We ultimately did what we knew was the best thing and now have our own home and make much more money. Win-win without the headaches of a spa..
And that's what's known as knowing your area and yourselves!
Every broker we worked with told us we had to put in jetted tubs. Same thing here getting people to show up for work. No way was I going clean 7 jetted tubs every stinkin' day!
Yes, knowing your area and your clientele is super important. We are actually one of those places where people will call and hang up if all 4 of my rooms with jetted tubs are full. Therefore we are remodeling two more rooms that are middle of the road in price to have jetted this these next 6 months so we can capture that lost revenue that goes to another place with a jetted tub. Knowing our market and keeping track of lost bookings because the tub rooms were full is the data we needed to make this decision. It helps that hubby is a contractor and does this work himself so it's only the cost of the tub and new tile - not the labor which would make us stop to pause.
We might get one or two requests for jetted tubs every year. We did add king beds when we were losing out on that one. I'd add more if I had the room.
I'd add fireplaces if we had room.
Odd thing that we added this year that has made breakfast easier is one small extra table. It's been used maybe 5 times but has made a big difference those 5 times!

We had inn consultants come in to talk to us about their services and then they sent us a proposal on how we should take the place to the next level. I believe their quote was $3700 (in that ballpark). While they were walking around he kept talking about the fact that we needed to turn unused space in the lower level into a spa -- build out a couple spa rooms and offer those services. Even though I stressed that the last thing I wanted to deal with was more staff in an area where no one shows up to work routinely and the logistics of offering spa treatments, that's what he wanted to propose. So we didn't engage their services. Instead we marketed more and built the business up. Then WE analyzed the space and decided that we should built ourself a new house next to the B&B and turn our bedroom into the ultimate guest suite. Our kids rooms are now friends & family rooms with their own bath and eventually will be the space if we hire a live-in innkeeper.
So although their idea of what would make money might have been a good one in theory, for me the extra work, aggravation trying to schedule people and worrying that they won't show up was not something I wanted to add to my already busy days. We ultimately did what we knew was the best thing and now have our own home and make much more money. Win-win without the headaches of a spa..
Every broker we worked with told us we had to put in jetted tubs. Same thing here getting people to show up for work. No way was I going clean 7 jetted tubs every stinkin' day!
In the way back, my potter and his wife were building their house at the pottery and were thinking of making it a B & B. He thought they needed to put in "garden tubs" because they were all the rage then - the gurus saying if you do not have.... I told him to forget it because of his location. They are next to a lake/wildlife area, not in a city, the boonies. Ended up not doing the B & B part after all so my advice saved them money.

Morticia said:
And are jetted tubs the end all? We see now they were not. But 10 years ago if you didn't have them they wrote you off.
The outdoor space is negotiable. Guests want it, do they use it? No. Our porch is used as a walkway, today, oh if you saw the tree outside,not one guest in a full house is out there. Last weekend, the same. But do they book here because of the porch? Yes.
I am going to step outside and take a photo of the tree and empty porch with my ipad...be right back.
Nov 12th 11:10am:
porch%20fall%20111216%20morning.jpg

Most times it is the perception of what the guest "thinks" they desire, like the porch, selling feature, I picture myself sitting there watching the world pass by and like the idea, but in practice visits are short and we never get around to doing those things we thought we'd like, romantic tub may be the same way, both partners don't always have the same vision.
Our pool is a selling point, but not many use it like jump in! So we invested in wonderful zero gravity lounge chairs for the guests to sit in and watch the sunlight sparkle off the water since that is what they do. Know your guests!
regular_smile.gif

Morticia said:
No way was I going clean 7 jetted tubs every stinkin' day!
thumbs_up.gif
Same here!

Yes, knowing your area and your clientele is super important. We are actually one of those places where people will call and hang up if all 4 of my rooms with jetted tubs are full. Therefore we are remodeling two more rooms that are middle of the road in price to have jetted this these next 6 months so we can capture that lost revenue that goes to another place with a jetted tub. Knowing our market and keeping track of lost bookings because the tub rooms were full is the data we needed to make this decision. It helps that hubby is a contractor and does this work himself so it's only the cost of the tub and new tile - not the labor which would make us stop to pause.
We might get one or two requests for jetted tubs every year. We did add king beds when we were losing out on that one. I'd add more if I had the room.
I'd add fireplaces if we had room.
Odd thing that we added this year that has made breakfast easier is one small extra table. It's been used maybe 5 times but has made a big difference those 5 times!
in the UK in a B&B its rare to even have a bath - so not losing out to jetted tubs!

Morticia said:
And are jetted tubs the end all? We see now they were not. But 10 years ago if you didn't have them they wrote you off.
The outdoor space is negotiable. Guests want it, do they use it? No. Our porch is used as a walkway, today, oh if you saw the tree outside,not one guest in a full house is out there. Last weekend, the same. But do they book here because of the porch? Yes.
I am going to step outside and take a photo of the tree and empty porch with my ipad...be right back.
Nov 12th 11:10am:
porch%20fall%20111216%20morning.jpg

Most times it is the perception of what the guest "thinks" they desire, like the porch, selling feature, I picture myself sitting there watching the world pass by and like the idea, but in practice visits are short and we never get around to doing those things we thought we'd like, romantic tub may be the same way, both partners don't always have the same vision.
Our pool is a selling point, but not many use it like jump in! So we invested in wonderful zero gravity lounge chairs for the guests to sit in and watch the sunlight sparkle off the water since that is what they do. Know your guests!
regular_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:
. Know your guests!
regular_smile.gif
That's the key, 45 years ago when our older kids were youngsters a pool was high on my list, today a rocking chair on the porch and perhaps a nearby antique shop would motivate me more.

You might consider someone completely outside of the B&B world...how about SCORE? Google it. Service Corps of Retired Executives. Worked for me!

I used a SCORE rep last year. Totally unfamiliar with my industry. Nice guy, but quite unhelpful.

I used a SCORE rep last year. Totally unfamiliar with my industry. Nice guy, but quite unhelpful..
PhineasSwann said:
I used a SCORE rep last year. Totally unfamiliar with my industry. Nice guy, but quite unhelpful.
I found a similar issue. I thought maybe I didn't understand the purpose of the meeting.
It was one of those things I'm no good at - what makes you different from everyone else? I mentioned a famous person who used to live in the house and that was what I was supposed to focus on. Get artifacts, display them throughout the house, write it up on my website.
Ok. But no one comes here for history.
A local college put together a real map including the famous person and the fact he lived here. I've handed out 3 copies of that map to people interested in exploration and history. I have 97 more copies of it. I should probably frame one.
What I wanted was something that resonated with me. It's really hard to focus your business direction on something that's not super important to you or to the clientele you get. Sure, we get every guest who's coming to town who is interested in exploration, but that's a mightily small pool.

We have a friend who travels around and demands the best, a nice clean room with everything in working order, and pleasing to the eye…. she checks our place for us, from decor to how well things function for the guest's comfort. She stays in different rooms and test everything. Got a friend like this who's can tell you it as it is?

We like this lady - http://creatingbookings.com/ - not pushy and not stupid price either, does a lot of business coaching. There is also http://bedandbreakfastcoach.com/ - however I don't like her style as much but that's a personal thing, definately gets results.
Thanks Jcam:
I've signed up for the free 1/2 hour skype consult with Yvonne Halling on Nov 30. I'll let you know how it goes. Bet anything the main advice will be to hire out the cleaning, and of course pony up for the paid advice.
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
this marketing tool on the site. In exchange for contact info, you can access a 'what to do in the area' guide.
Yvonne advocates the what I call "Bonding method" more work but people have an increased sense of loyalty, sending them things to do when they book, following up close to the arrival date with travel info and so on. Working with local attractions to give added value packages - all of which are common sense and your reservation software could send out at set dates etc.
My trouble is here there are only really 3 attractions (1) turkish baths - run by the council and won't do any deal with any one ever and to be fair they are booked out most of the time.
(2) Royal Horticultural SOciety Northern Headquarters (extensive gardens) mostly visited by members they have about 10 gardens all over and you pay an annual fee to go in any - so no advantage of discount there.
(5) theatres we have 3 venue's and have constantly hassled them about a discounted ticket on the day program they either won't do it or arnt' that organised ie they would send and email to me ie tickets left for X and I wold forward it to the B&B's so they could tell their guests there are still tickets for X for tonight and at £1 off etc.
She is all about adding value and getting the right guests for your property - ie not ones just focused on price. Its working out how to advertise in the right places to get those people
Had my half hour chat. Number one advice: Change tag line. 'New England Charm' implied to her we are in a part of the country we are not. She said this would be confusing for overseas visitors.
Number two: Use guest database for a regular newsletter.
Number three: Include my photo on website and especially FB. I've been reluctant - haven't wanted to be one of those "We ditched the corporate life to live our dream' cliche people, but she says, and many on this forum have said the same - Inn people want to know WHO they are staying with. Fair enough. I'll give it a whirl. Need to have a decent shot though! Don't want to scare them off!
More extensive and specific advice would come either from online modules or $$$ personal handholding.

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
Had my half hour chat. Number one advice: Change tag line. 'New England Charm' implied to her we are in a part of the country we are not. She said this would be confusing for overseas visitors.
Number three: Include my photo on website and especially FB. I've been reluctant - haven't wanted to be one of those "We ditched the corporate life to live our dream' cliche people, but she says, and many on this forum have said the same - Inn people want to know WHO they are staying with. Fair enough. I'll give it a whirl. Need to have a decent shot though! Don't want to scare them off!
More extensive and specific advice would come either from online modules or $$$ personal handholding.
Do not use the guest db for marketing unless you want to be hit with spam claims from guests who don't want to receive it.
Instead - have a sign up on your website and Facebook page. Include a link to the sign up in a thank you email. Also include it in a confirmation email - 'looking forward to your vacation? Our newsletter has info about upcoming events.' Also have a sign up sheet somewhere near your check-in area.
This is especially true if your guests are from Canada.
If you go for a service like constant contact or mail chimp, having the guest enter their own info shows they have opted in to receive email from you.

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
Do not use the guest db for marketing unless you want to be hit with spam claims from guests who don't want to receive it.
Instead - have a sign up on your website and Facebook page. Include a link to the sign up in a thank you email. Also include it in a confirmation email - 'looking forward to your vacation? Our newsletter has info about upcoming events.' Also have a sign up sheet somewhere near your check-in area.
This is especially true if your guests are from Canada.
If you go for a service like constant contact or mail chimp, having the guest enter their own info shows they have opted in to receive email from you.
Yes. Should have included this is also YH's advice. :)

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
I agree about the tag line. let me know when you want to change it :) As far as sending newsletter..NO WAY. PEOPLE HATE SPAM! Sign up for Mail CHimp and we can put a newsletter sign up on your website then you can send newsletter but only to those who opt in :)
Agree about a photo..I want to know and see who I am staying with. Doesn't have to be a sitting portrait maybe you preparing breakast in the morning...so some other kind of action shot :) Not cleaning a toilet LOL!

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
I agree about the tag line. let me know when you want to change it :) As far as sending newsletter..NO WAY. PEOPLE HATE SPAM! Sign up for Mail CHimp and we can put a newsletter sign up on your website then you can send newsletter but only to those who opt in :)
Agree about a photo..I want to know and see who I am staying with. Doesn't have to be a sitting portrait maybe you preparing breakast in the morning...so some other kind of action shot :) Not cleaning a toilet LOL!
A fun photo, not a portrait, unless it's a very posh place and you're looking for that kind of clientele.

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
Skamokawa said:
You must have spoken to me.
I say those things all the time. Have said them.
She stole it all, send me the check instead. :) I say, you can keep the New England but tweak it, make the NW more prominent:
"Northwest Hospitality with a touch of New England Charm" something like that.
Your name is TWIN and I only see one in the header image slider. I need it, give it give it give it...it feels wrong to not see it. i saw a license plate today that read OGNIZU and it made me crazy. Show the twins it will be branding.

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
Skamokawa said:
You must have spoken to me.
I say those things all the time. Have said them.
She stole it all, send me the check instead. :) I say, you can keep the New England but tweak it, make the NW more prominent:
"Northwest Hospitality with a touch of New England Charm" something like that.
Your name is TWIN and I only see one in the header image slider. I need it, give it give it give it...it feels wrong to not see it. i saw a license plate today that read OGNIZU and it made me crazy. Show the twins it will be branding.
Guess we need your winter shot where twins are visible but you need to take some more photos I don't understand why folks never change out photos. I was always ready with my camera and still
am

Back