Innspiring Pets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 cats. We have told them to stay in the apartment and out of the inn, but they aren't listening.
They know, though. When I catch one on a bed in the inn, she gives me a look. She knows she's being naughty..
TheBeachHouse said:
2 cats. We have told them to stay in the apartment and out of the inn, but they aren't listening.
They know, though. When I catch one on a bed in the inn, she gives me a look. She knows she's being naughty.
How can you not love them dearly! I think that is so cute.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
They know, though. When I catch one on a bed in the inn, she gives me a look. She knows she's being naughty.
Yes, it is cute, but my eyes, nose, and breathing apparatus would not think so. Stayed with #1 daughter once who said her cat was not allowed in the room we would be in. Walked in to see said cat walking OUT of that room. Slept in room 2 nights and the third night I got dressed and slept in the car for fear if I fell asleep I would not wake up. Yes, it was that bad. (and once we came in, I kept the door shut)
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, it is cute, but my eyes, nose, and breathing apparatus would not think so. Stayed with #1 daughter once who said her cat was not allowed in the room we would be in. Walked in to see said cat walking OUT of that room. Slept in room 2 nights and the third night I got dressed and slept in the car for fear if I fell asleep I would not wake up. Yes, it was that bad. (and once we came in, I kept the door shut)
Hearing you. I understand and have friends with bad alergies, but your personal story is a very valuable reminder. Just getting to know this house and the heat is tricky. We are leaving the doors open for heating purposes but are getting that fixed. (thermostats are in the hallways which screws up the reading of heat needed. We are having the thermostats moved to inside the rooms.) Once that is taken care of, doors can be shut.
In the meantime, we have had only three guests since November, so I think we have time before we fill up again to make sure all is clean and cat free.
TheBeachHouse said:
Hearing you. I understand and have friends with bad alergies, but your personal story is a very valuable reminder. Just getting to know this house and the heat is tricky. We are leaving the doors open for heating purposes but are getting that fixed. (thermostats are in the hallways which screws up the reading of heat needed. We are having the thermostats moved to inside the rooms.) Once that is taken care of, doors can be shut.
We always wonder if things were just thrown together without thought or done the 'easy' way. We have no overheard lights anywhere but the kitchen and dining room. All of the light switches for the switched outlets are located such that all the doors to the rooms swing into the side of the beds. (So, maybe that was so someone could open the room door and you didn't just see right into the room, who knows.)
Most of the wallpaper was put up ok but the walls were obviously put up knowing wallpaper was going over them. The edges don't meet up with the doorways and windows. However, lucky it is wallboard and not plaster.
No insulation was put in between the rooms. Why not? The walls were taken down! Put in the insulation!
It used to be that if the A/C units were running and someone turned on a hair dryer the breakers tripped. We fixed that by accident but very happy we did! Our first summer was spent with me crawling around in the basement trying to figure out which one of 3 breaker boxes had the tripped breaker! Because it's always during breakfast, right?
I think all of us are the kind of people who leave things better than we found them. We're good stewards.
In re heat...we used to leave the doors open (all the thermostats are in the rooms) in the winter thinking to keep the air circulating. What we found was the thermostats were all different/not level. So, one room would be calling for heat all the time trying to heat the whole house!
We now close the doors so each room just keeps itself warm. One room's heating pipes run thru another room which I have found while reno'ing the latest room. The thermostat for that room is off completely but it's still warm in there from the pipes going to another room. That's on the list to fix.
We have one bathroom where the heat is controlled by a completely different room's thermostat. THAT makes things interesting.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We always wonder if things were just thrown together without thought or done the 'easy' way. We have no overheard lights anywhere but the kitchen and dining room. All of the light switches for the switched outlets are located such that all the doors to the rooms swing into the side of the beds. (So, maybe that was so someone could open the room door and you didn't just see right into the room, who knows.)
Most of the wallpaper was put up ok but the walls were obviously put up knowing wallpaper was going over them. The edges don't meet up with the doorways and windows. However, lucky it is wallboard and not plaster.
No insulation was put in between the rooms. Why not? The walls were taken down! Put in the insulation!
It used to be that if the A/C units were running and someone turned on a hair dryer the breakers tripped. We fixed that by accident but very happy we did! Our first summer was spent with me crawling around in the basement trying to figure out which one of 3 breaker boxes had the tripped breaker! Because it's always during breakfast, right?
I think all of us are the kind of people who leave things better than we found them. We're good stewards.
In re heat...we used to leave the doors open (all the thermostats are in the rooms) in the winter thinking to keep the air circulating. What we found was the thermostats were all different/not level. So, one room would be calling for heat all the time trying to heat the whole house!
We now close the doors so each room just keeps itself warm. One room's heating pipes run thru another room which I have found while reno'ing the latest room. The thermostat for that room is off completely but it's still warm in there from the pipes going to another room. That's on the list to fix.
We have one bathroom where the heat is controlled by a completely different room's thermostat. THAT makes things interesting.
I hear you! We have replaced windows, sheets, towels, shower heads, toilet seats, hairdryers, lamps, window coverings. The oil tank, the fireplace, the gas tank. And the kitchen has been ordered. And we have not even begun the real renovations. I'd like to replace all the bedspreads, but gotta wait until we have some income.
We're actually pretty lucky that we could just run the place from the start with nothing needing to be done that couldn't be done by us in an afternoon.
We've tackled almost everything else in the 10 years since then.
But, you know, new bedding goes a looooooong way to making the room perkier. Even if it's just a bunch of $29 quilts from CTS! (Seashore theme on sale this week, in case that's what you're planning on doing.)
Madeleine said:
We're actually pretty lucky that we could just run the place from the start with nothing needing to be done that couldn't be done by us in an afternoon.
But, you know, new bedding goes a looooooong way to making the room perkier. Even if it's just a bunch of $29 quilts from CTS! (Seashore theme on sale this week, in case that's what you're planning on doing.)
What is CTS?
TheBeachHouse said:
What is CTS?
Oops, sorry, Christmas Tree Shops.

They know, though. When I catch one on a bed in the inn, she gives me a look. She knows she's being naughty..
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
In the meantime, we have had only three guests since November, so I think we have time before we fill up again to make sure all is clean and cat free.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I hear you! We have replaced windows, sheets, towels, shower heads, toilet seats, hairdryers, lamps, window coverings. The oil tank, the fireplace, the gas tank. And the kitchen has been ordered. And we have not even begun the real renovations. I'd like to replace all the bedspreads, but gotta wait until we have some income.
Madeleine said:
What is CTS?
TheBeachHouse said:
What is CTS?
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
What is CTS?
hahahahahha I really thought hard about it and could not figure it out! Thanks.

Back