Interesting supposition

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8:30 and not a soul to be seen. That gives us an hour to feed 18.
I hate mornings like this. So stressful for me trying to sort everyone out..
Which is why we offer 8AM or 9AM and try to space them, instead of herding cats.
Worst breakfast ever. Guests refused to move after eating and left 7 guests waiting until 9:30. 4 of the 7 didn't eat until almost 10.
And yet, one couple who sat down after these 4 said they saw others were waiting and left after they finished.
It's not that the others didn't see, they even mentioned how busy we were, they just didn't move. Even when it was suggested they might take their conversation elsewhere.
So annoyed.

Which is why we offer 8AM or 9AM and try to space them, instead of herding cats.
Worst breakfast ever. Guests refused to move after eating and left 7 guests waiting until 9:30. 4 of the 7 didn't eat until almost 10.
And yet, one couple who sat down after these 4 said they saw others were waiting and left after they finished.
It's not that the others didn't see, they even mentioned how busy we were, they just didn't move. Even when it was suggested they might take their conversation elsewhere.
So annoyed.
Get a peg board and make yourself some hanging tickets. Use some lamination sheets to seal them, so they can easily be reused. Divide breakfast periods into half hours. If you have 6 tables that 3 for each half hour, assuming that they will be done by an hour. Decide on your hours.... 7, 7:30, 8, 8:30, 9 and/or 9:30 and put up the tickets. Tell them they need one ticket per table (or how ever you do it, we do it per person) and that the table is good for 50 minutes, after which they will need to stroll on out, so the table can be reset. Alternatively, you can label the tickets like In by 7, out by 7:50 OR 7 (ticket is good for 50 minutes). They don't have to be sharp at the table, but leaving, they do.
You will clear up the problem. The wives will tell the husbands what time they want. You might get a few more people for "take-away" coffee, but you won't get any herding. And they can simply take a ticket that is left over if they don't want to decide.

So annoyed.
We have the same problem as out breakfast room is effectively 2 halves but one half (where you can't see and we can screen off) is all the crap from the house we sold so no can't seat everyone at once
I am just more assertive - could you please move up to the lounge as other people are waiting for their breakfast - just because they have seen them come down and have to be sent away by me, means nothing to them they don't put it together - you have to be very clear.
I do also say feel free to take your tea/coffee with you.

So annoyed.
Get a peg board and make yourself some hanging tickets. Use some lamination sheets to seal them, so they can easily be reused. Divide breakfast periods into half hours. If you have 6 tables that 3 for each half hour, assuming that they will be done by an hour. Decide on your hours.... 7, 7:30, 8, 8:30, 9 and/or 9:30 and put up the tickets. Tell them they need one ticket per table (or how ever you do it, we do it per person) and that the table is good for 50 minutes, after which they will need to stroll on out, so the table can be reset. Alternatively, you can label the tickets like In by 7, out by 7:50 OR 7 (ticket is good for 50 minutes). They don't have to be sharp at the table, but leaving, they do.
You will clear up the problem. The wives will tell the husbands what time they want. You might get a few more people for "take-away" coffee, but you won't get any herding. And they can simply take a ticket that is left over if they don't want to decide.
I will try set times next time we have so many guests. 8am and 9am. I hate that, but I can't take another morning like this one where guests were so rude as to stay seated when asked to move. The entire table was cleared. Still they sat.
I'm betting the same will happen tomorrow. Luckily, it's mostly couples now so not worried about squeezing in 2 families.

So annoyed.
At that point I would have just said, you will have to leave we have other guests we need to feed here. Or how about taking your coffee and conversation to the living room or back deck..or whereever....just get the heck out of here!

So annoyed.
I will try set times next time we have so many guests. 8am and 9am. I hate that, but I can't take another morning like this one where guests were so rude as to stay seated when asked to move. The entire table was cleared. Still they sat.
I'm betting the same will happen tomorrow. Luckily, it's mostly couples now so not worried about squeezing in 2 families.
Sometimes, you just have to be blunt. "Excuse me, those people over there would like their breakfast. Can you please liberate the table? Or should I ask them if they mind waiting for you as you linger?"

So annoyed.
Sometimes, you just have to be blunt. "Excuse me, those people over there would like their breakfast. Can you please liberate the table? Or should I ask them if they mind waiting for you as you linger?"
I completely agree. Policy is max 50 minutes when others are waiting (post this) . Do I need to have the sheriff come in to remove you from the premises? Or, $50 will go on your bill if you take another period when people are waiting...
Also, offer in room service if looks like will be tight

So annoyed.
The odd thing was they even mentioned the other guests waiting. But I've had this sense about them for a few days now. I think there was something I needed to say. Maybe 'pleeeeease'? Or offer an abject apology that they couldn't sit for another hour?
It is my fault there are not enough tables to seat everyone at once. So I have to solve the problem.

So annoyed.
I completely agree. Policy is max 50 minutes when others are waiting (post this) . Do I need to have the sheriff come in to remove you from the premises? Or, $50 will go on your bill if you take another period when people are waiting...
Also, offer in room service if looks like will be tight
I wouldn't post it, but mention it. But pointing out the people who are waiting humanizes it. It's harder to say no at faces looking back at you, especially now that THEY know you are holding it up and they can give you the evil eye.
We have no trouble asking people to leave. We start with nice hints about how nice it is, things they can do... but if that doesn't work, we just tell them that it's time for the next people to enjoy our breakfast.

Back when I was much younger and living in Philadelphia there was an Italian restaurant that had great food with very seriously low prices in a not so nice neighborhood.
I had heard about the place for months, so one night after work about 15 of us went there for dinner. We ordered the most expensive things on the menu, as well as a couple of bottles of wine, and were having a great time. I promise we had not consumed enough vino to be inebriated, we were not loud and obnoxious, we blended in with all the other patrons. In spite of running up a fairly healthy bill, the owner came out of the kitchen within 10 seconds of when the last fork was put down to announce "We need your table". In that case, it sort of added to the ambiance of the whole place, and did not deter any of us from going back for other visits.

Back when I was much younger and living in Philadelphia there was an Italian restaurant that had great food with very seriously low prices in a not so nice neighborhood.
I had heard about the place for months, so one night after work about 15 of us went there for dinner. We ordered the most expensive things on the menu, as well as a couple of bottles of wine, and were having a great time. I promise we had not consumed enough vino to be inebriated, we were not loud and obnoxious, we blended in with all the other patrons. In spite of running up a fairly healthy bill, the owner came out of the kitchen within 10 seconds of when the last fork was put down to announce "We need your table". In that case, it sort of added to the ambiance of the whole place, and did not deter any of us from going back for other visits..
Innkeep said:
...an Italian restaurant...seriously low prices...within 10 seconds of when the last fork was put down to announce "We need your table".
Very un-Italian of them. I've found that real Italian restaurants have just one seating at each table each night, and charge enough to make that work for them. Italian meals are more about talking with friends and family than the eating. Meals routinely go on for hours!

So annoyed.
I hope the seven will be at breakfast first tomorrow and the ones that wouldn't move will be the ones waiting.... Sorry I'm bad tonight!
wink_smile.gif

So annoyed.
I hope the seven will be at breakfast first tomorrow and the ones that wouldn't move will be the ones waiting.... Sorry I'm bad tonight!
wink_smile.gif

All was wonderful today. One couple opted for the 'romantic' table by themselves so there was room for everyone when needed.
We have a plan for adding another table. Will require a bit of finagling and remove one of our sitting areas in order to make it work but for the 3-4 times we need that other table fast it will be a big help.

Both of these suggestions come from someone that usually has seating for all guests so take this as unused thoughts by this innkeeper.
wink_smile.gif

One way to go about this is have an early and late seating during busy times. Those that think they can linger will (hopefully) choose the later seating time.
Another possible is to clean the table and when they go to grab that coffee cup out of your next grab, ask them to feel free to carry it with them into the living room..
Copperhead said:
Another possible is to clean the table and when they go to grab that coffee cup out of your next grab, ask them to feel free to carry it with them into the living room.
I have asked guests to do that. Take their coffee outside or into the living room.
Most people get it. This guy just showed how those who don't get it think.
I hate asking guests to pick a time to eat. It's like pulling teeth when we have only one room.
"We serve breakfast between 8 - 9. Would you like to eat on the early side or the later?"
"Do we have to decide now???"
(No, just let me know in the morning. That's soon enough. Ha ha.)
Part of my spiel when I take them up to their rooms is to tell them:
"I bring fresh coffee up an hour before breakfast, which leads me to ask - what time would you like breakfast?" I wait expectantly smiling.
97% of the time, they pick a time. If not, I ask them to just let me know 'later this evening'
So usually I know early what days I sleep in, and what days I'll be able to get an early start on room changeovers.
As I am finishing the spiel and about to go back downstairs, I ask them to let e know what time they want breakfast before they turn in - as long as it is between 4 AM and 10 AM, please. They tell me. Thankfully most will say NOT 4 AM and I reply with "bless you, my child". Yesterday I had one in on business at 7 AM and the other 3 were once again at 9. It gets tricky when there is only 30 minutes between breakfasts. Then they meet each other and linger as the chat like old friends until almost noon......
Yep. Chatterers today. It's 10 past 10 and check out is 11a. They are all chatting over coffee like old friends. I'm pre-prepped to do a quicker than normal room changeover.

So annoyed.
wink_smile.gif

All was wonderful today. One couple opted for the 'romantic' table by themselves so there was room for everyone when needed.
We have a plan for adding another table. Will require a bit of finagling and remove one of our sitting areas in order to make it work but for the 3-4 times we need that other table fast it will be a big help.
I plan to go with small 2 person rectangular tables. They can be combined or separate as needed. Can 8 or more people together if needed, for groups

I had heard about the place for months, so one night after work about 15 of us went there for dinner. We ordered the most expensive things on the menu, as well as a couple of bottles of wine, and were having a great time. I promise we had not consumed enough vino to be inebriated, we were not loud and obnoxious, we blended in with all the other patrons. In spite of running up a fairly healthy bill, the owner came out of the kitchen within 10 seconds of when the last fork was put down to announce "We need your table". In that case, it sort of added to the ambiance of the whole place, and did not deter any of us from going back for other visits..
Innkeep said:
...an Italian restaurant...seriously low prices...within 10 seconds of when the last fork was put down to announce "We need your table".
Very un-Italian of them. I've found that real Italian restaurants have just one seating at each table each night, and charge enough to make that work for them. Italian meals are more about talking with friends and family than the eating. Meals routinely go on for hours!
Same in Buenos Aires. Met some previous guests for dinner early because they had been traveling. Openned the place by ourselves at 8 pm. Stayed until 11 pm. Not a hint of agitation, no bill, ordered more, etc. Of course, the placed was just getting fired up as we were leaving.

I have four separate tables positioned to provide a view of the bay from at least one of the two guests. Four bedrooms. Separate enough if you want to be an introvert but close enough that you can just angle yourself and have a conversation with another table. Works great. Actually, just got an email yesterday from a recent guest that told me how much her husband loved the setup. He wasn't much of a breakfast talker.

I have four separate tables positioned to provide a view of the bay from at least one of the two guests. Four bedrooms. Separate enough if you want to be an introvert but close enough that you can just angle yourself and have a conversation with another table. Works great. Actually, just got an email yesterday from a recent guest that told me how much her husband loved the setup. He wasn't much of a breakfast talker..
2cat_lady said:
I have four separate tables positioned to provide a view of the bay from at least one of the two guests. Four bedrooms. Separate enough if you want to be an introvert but close enough that you can just angle yourself and have a conversation with another table. Works great. Actually, just got an email yesterday from a recent guest that told me how much her husband loved the setup. He wasn't much of a breakfast talker.
We also have separate tables. We found wood bistro tables at Wal ma rt. Love them. We also have a full sized dinning table available. Generally, people in groups use the big table.

Back