Interim Innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Duff
Now that innkeeping has gotten under your skin, we'll look forward to your contributions..
Thank you! I'll try but I think JB, Arks, Mort, GHouse, Empty Nest, and Madeline do a much better job! Talking about that we haven't heard from Madeline recently. She must have all the guests!
Fresh eyes often make good observations. Those who have been in the forest for a while often see only the same trees.

Welcome Duff
Now that innkeeping has gotten under your skin, we'll look forward to your contributions..
Thank you! I'll try but I think JB, Arks, Mort, GHouse, Empty Nest, and Madeline do a much better job! Talking about that we haven't heard from Madeline recently. She must have all the guests!
If they can put up with me, I'm sure you'll be fine. Now, if you get them all in one room.....

Welcome Duff
Fresh eyes often make good observations. Those who have been in the forest for a while often see only the same trees.
So that is my problem ... too many trees!

Welcome Duff
Tom said:
After 19 years, it is hard for me to see a new one. THAT is MY problem. I do keep trying though.

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
Thank you! How far from Dartmouth? How's the taxes for an inn in "Taxachusetts"?
Duff2014 said:
Thank you! How far from Dartmouth? How's the taxes for an inn in "Taxachusetts"?
11.7% room tax.
The inn is taxed at the standard real estate tax rate. Not sure what it is this year.
Licensing fee is minimal. Under $100 and depending on whether you serve food.

Duff I think we need to come up with a better title for you than default innkeeper.

Welcome Duff
If they can put up with me, I'm sure you'll be fine. Now, if you get them all in one room.....
happykeeper said:
My know first hand that bad things happen when you get several of these Innkeepers together! :)

Welcome Duff
happykeeper said:
My know first hand that bad things happen when you get several of these Innkeepers together! :)
Hillbilly said:
happykeeper said:
Teehee - I will never tell......................

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
Duff2014 said:
11.7% room tax.
The inn is taxed at the standard real estate tax rate. Not sure what it is this year.
Licensing fee is minimal. Under $100 and depending on whether you serve food.
Not bad at all. We run 13.42% It's all pass through. Lower property tax that many places. No annual fee.

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
In West Virginia: 6% sales tax across the board. Depending on municipality/county, up to 6% "bed tax" and some places with home rule another 1%.
Property tax - I pay on the commercial 2/3 the highest rate possible which would make most everyone here say "I wish". Taxes for 2014 combo of real estate, B & B personal property (the computer/food/ anything I am stupid enough to claim on Schedule C), our personal property (car) - a hair over $1100 for the year. And that includes the excess levies for bus service, school board, and the city.

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
We have to add 13 percent to each reservation. That alone tells us whether the guest have been to our town before... We get taxed on everything from furniture to the street we live on... And we have 300 hotels, b&bs, motels, inns, and guest houses in five mile which we have to compete against. Then there are the illegal air b and ber's...

Welcome Duff
happykeeper said:
Hillbilly said:
happykeeper said:
GRIN! I heard about that trip! I think of them whenever I look at my ceiling fans! If they came here they need a twelve foot ladder! It's hard to sneak one into their room, I believe.

Welcome Duff
happykeeper said:
Hillbilly said:
happykeeper said:
GRIN! I heard about that trip! I think of them whenever I look at my ceiling fans! If they came here they need a twelve foot ladder! It's hard to sneak one into their room, I believe.
Who used a ladder? Heehee

Duff I think we need to come up with a better title for you than default innkeeper..
Joey Bloggs said:
Duff I think we need to come up with a better title for you than default innkeeper.
I had to think of a title or subject....I wasn't planning on being an innkeeper, it just happened. I wasn't planning on working at a retreat center either but what I learned there has helped me out a lot here. Looking back on my life I see that each place I have been or an experience has helped me in the future. I don't know if that is hopeful information or not!
I'll let you figure out a better title.....or is that a dangerous offer?!?

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
We have to add 13 percent to each reservation. That alone tells us whether the guest have been to our town before... We get taxed on everything from furniture to the street we live on... And we have 300 hotels, b&bs, motels, inns, and guest houses in five mile which we have to compete against. Then there are the illegal air b and ber's...
Duff2014 said:
Here in PA, a 6% sales tax for the room and then our county has a 1.1% occupancy tax (hotels have to add an additional 3.9%).
Lots of B&B's here - over 150 in our county. Most play nice-nice in the sandbox.

Duff I think we need to come up with a better title for you than default innkeeper..
Joey Bloggs said:
I had to think of a title or subject....I wasn't planning on being an innkeeper, it just happened. I wasn't planning on working at a retreat center either but what I learned there has helped me out a lot here. Looking back on my life I see that each place I have been or an experience has helped me in the future. I don't know if that is hopeful information or not!
Duff2014 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Well you are DUFF, but the title you gave yourself in this thread is what i am referring to. Default sounds so not on, you are great, so you should be called the Interim Innkeeper. :)

Cape Ann, Massachusetts.
Welcome!.
Duff2014 said:
Here in PA, a 6% sales tax for the room and then our county has a 1.1% occupancy tax (hotels have to add an additional 3.9%).
Lots of B&B's here - over 150 in our county. Most play nice-nice in the sandbox.
PA! That's where my parents are. Oh, they are nice here I guess. Two of them called here wondering if we would put up one of their guests. I guess they were overbooked or something.

Joey Bloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Well you are DUFF, but the title you gave yourself in this thread is what i am referring to. Default sounds so not on, you are great, so you should be called the Interim Innkeeper. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sounds good! I used the name Duff since that was my dog's name. (He died in 2013) He was the perfect host whenever my family had friends over, guests or dog sat. He treated everyone as his best friend. ( even one dog we had a couple days who was nasty to him. He never turned on him and put up with him politely until the second he left. Then he tore through the house with glee that he was gone!) As soon as he heard a vehicle he dropped everything and ran to the picture window to see who it was. Then he joined us at the front door to welcome them to his home. He was very good at realizing who liked dogs or not. He even had his own business. Kids Love Duff. He taught children and adults to get over being scared of dogs, even ones that had bad experiences. 99.9 percent rating and his fee was in doggie bones.
So I want to be a good hostess like he was, even to the nasty guests that come our way!

Joey Bloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sounds good! I used the name Duff since that was my dog's name. (He died in 2013) He was the perfect host whenever my family had friends over, guests or dog sat. He treated everyone as his best friend. ( even one dog we had a couple days who was nasty to him. He never turned on him and put up with him politely until the second he left. Then he tore through the house with glee that he was gone!) As soon as he heard a vehicle he dropped everything and ran to the picture window to see who it was. Then he joined us at the front door to welcome them to his home. He was very good at realizing who liked dogs or not. He even had his own business. Kids Love Duff. He taught children and adults to get over being scared of dogs, even ones that had bad experiences. 99.9 percent rating and his fee was in doggie bones.
So I want to be a good hostess like he was, even to the nasty guests that come our way!
Duff2014 said:

... even to the nasty guests that come our way!
We have a word for that... PITA.

Back