Is a B&B always considered a commercial property for property tax purposes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my home state and in the town/state where our business is located (a neighboring state), residential and commercial properties are taxed at the same "mil rate" -- of course, a property that is zoned / approved for commercial use might be assessed at a higher value than one only approved for residential use, and thus might pay higher taxes as a consequence, but at least in my area commercial property and residential property are taxed at the same rate..
Our commercial rate is 4x the residential rate.

In my home state and in the town/state where our business is located (a neighboring state), residential and commercial properties are taxed at the same "mil rate" -- of course, a property that is zoned / approved for commercial use might be assessed at a higher value than one only approved for residential use, and thus might pay higher taxes as a consequence, but at least in my area commercial property and residential property are taxed at the same rate..
OnTheShore said:
In my home state and in the town/state where our business is located (a neighboring state), residential and commercial properties are taxed at the same "mil rate" -- of course, a property that is zoned / approved for commercial use might be assessed at a higher value than one only approved for residential use, and thus might pay higher taxes as a consequence, but at least in my area commercial property and residential property are taxed at the same rate.
Same state, different town - our rate as a commercial property is higher than if it was just residential.
Which just goes to show, the OP has opinions either way he wants them!

OnTheShore said:
In my home state and in the town/state where our business is located (a neighboring state), residential and commercial properties are taxed at the same "mil rate" -- of course, a property that is zoned / approved for commercial use might be assessed at a higher value than one only approved for residential use, and thus might pay higher taxes as a consequence, but at least in my area commercial property and residential property are taxed at the same rate.
Same state, different town - our rate as a commercial property is higher than if it was just residential.
Which just goes to show, the OP has opinions either way he wants them!
Yep, so the advice to check with the local tax authorities is right on the mark!

I think you answered your own question. If it is a business then it is a business..
Not always so, JB. We have a business license, are fully insured as a B+B business, inspected by health dept. in order to served a full breakfast. We are an official business. But as a "home business", we are only taxed a small amount for personal property located in the B+B. The bulk of our property taxes are at the residential rate which are based on land and building value if sold as a residence.
Silverspoon said:
Not always so, JB. We have a business license, are fully insured as a B+B business, inspected by health dept. in order to served a full breakfast. We are an official business. But as a "home business", we are only taxed a small amount for personal property located in the B+B. The bulk of our property taxes are at the residential rate which are based on land and building value if sold as a residence.
Same here.

I was actually just stating the business is a business thing, it has to come down to the locale authority on every question people ask us like this on the forum. They come here to ask it without going THERE to ask it. Which is backwards.
I think it is funny that people want to open a business but not have it a business. I think the expectation should always be "it's a business."
Are you in the CBD? Are you grandfathered in? Are you a home business? There are dozens of little nuances, but in the end if you open a business it is a business. So expect to pay for that being the case (one way or "many" others) As they try to offer incentives for you to be there, these days, they still want their cut.

Back