Is airbnb putting me out of business after 15 years? Because Something Is...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WA too, in a rural area but not your county. I put our inn rooms on Air three years ago. We have two in-the-inn rooms as well as the vacation rental apartment that has been on Air since 2011. What happened three years ago: our overall bookings went up and our small room I previously labeled the ‘plague room’ became the most booked due to Air.
As they say: mileage may vary. I am very up front on the Air listings (one listing per room or unit) that we are a traditional inn with full breakfast. I even list the inn name so people could book directly. I’m constantly amazed most would rather pay more with the Air fees. Oh well. I do like that Air deals with cancellations with no hassle on my part
Like you I am concerned about Air becoming a larger percentage of our bookings. This will finally be the year for a website update with more attention paid to SEO. I’m waist deep in another project right now so putting the web update off just a little longer.
I suggest trying your inn rooms on Air. You can always take them off if it doesn’t help.

I'm hesitant to provide any feedback because I don't want it to be interpreted as "piling on", so please take my feedback with as many grains of salt needed! Your main question was in regard to Airbnb and whether it is impacting your business. I can almost certainly guarantee that it is because Airbnb is impacting all of us. I see that you're advertising on Airbnb. How long have you been on their site? Do you receive any bookings via Airbnb? The difficulty is that most traditional B&Bs have to charge higher rates per individual room vs Joe Schmo down the street because it's our livelihood, not just extra spending money. Have you thought of offering a "bare bones" pricing for single room rentals on Airbnb? Perhaps exclude breakfast and lower the rate? It looks like you're making good use of the "Cleaning fee" on your full house rental, which allows listings to show up as a lower rate in the search results, then the cleaning fee shows up in the price breakdown. Reduce your rate on the single rooms & tack on a $40 cleaning fee to make up the rate difference. (sneaky, but it works!)
You will most likely have better luck with the entire house rental on Airbnb than the single rooms. However, your photos on Airbnb aren't really emphasizing the amenities that renters get with the entire house rental. Can they use the kitchen? If so, include one excellent photo of the kitchen instead of all of the photos of benches & statues in the garden. Pare down the number of pictures and focus on specific WOW factors. Show one great photo of the garden, one photo of the deck, etc. I recommend removing the 3 photos of a cat. Follow these same guidelines with the photos of your rooms. Have one great photo of the room, like the pic you have of the master suite that shows the bed, sitting area & fireplace all in one photo. No need to show it from 4 different angles.
Follow these guidelines with your webpage, too. Since your page is hosted by Acorn, I'm not sure how many changes you can make without being charged for them. It's excellent that your webpage is mobile friendly, and the navigation menu is great. However, there's way too much text and a lot of random photos. Mobile users are looking for brief descriptions. No one is going to scroll 4 pages down on their phone to read all that text. The same trend is happening on desktops. Pare your descriptions down to the main points. Your main header scrolls through a TON of photos. Pick your best 5 high-resolution photos. Show the outside of the house, one room, a breakfast, and maybe the common area. Here's a website that's a good example (not mine, but also designed by my web host): https://www.hilltophousebb.com.
I would also look at are the OTA's you are no longer using hijacking your B&B name - this has been a big problem for others I know who have pulled out of using them - click the link and it takes you through to exp or BOO and it just says no availability ie implying you are full and the guest looks no further

Incidentally, in the winter is when I feel the effects of Air the most. In the summer others have felt the effect more than I have. In the winter the prices are Air get so low that I don't think these people realize they aren't making money... they are subsidizing people's trips. I instead take the time off and serve those who appreciate my value and hospitality. I don't dilute the value of my product by going after the last dollar.
What have I done? Well, my product is different. I have a unique house. I have a location that is superb and many people rave about my breakfast, home made jam, etc.
I'm on the OTAs, but I serve it up as a different product with different policies. If you book directly, I don't take a deposit. Book it through an OTA and I take the first night as a deposit that is non-refundable. Book through an OTA and parking is more per night (and prepaid) and you can't pick your room, just your type of room.
And I'll be honest, I have some specials that appear only if you book directly... for example, I may have a 3 day window and I'll set it up to give a discount if you book the 3 day window that won't appear elsewhere or if you book just 2 of the 3 days.
And last year, I had one room that didn't sell direct for one of the busiest weekends of the year. As it the city was fully booked, I kept on putting up the price. Finally, a few days before the date I opened it up on the OTAs, added in the whole commission and it sold in a few hours. I mean, it went from $180 a night if they had booked it directly to $250 a night by the time I sold it.

I'm hesitant to provide any feedback because I don't want it to be interpreted as "piling on", so please take my feedback with as many grains of salt needed! Your main question was in regard to Airbnb and whether it is impacting your business. I can almost certainly guarantee that it is because Airbnb is impacting all of us. I see that you're advertising on Airbnb. How long have you been on their site? Do you receive any bookings via Airbnb? The difficulty is that most traditional B&Bs have to charge higher rates per individual room vs Joe Schmo down the street because it's our livelihood, not just extra spending money. Have you thought of offering a "bare bones" pricing for single room rentals on Airbnb? Perhaps exclude breakfast and lower the rate? It looks like you're making good use of the "Cleaning fee" on your full house rental, which allows listings to show up as a lower rate in the search results, then the cleaning fee shows up in the price breakdown. Reduce your rate on the single rooms & tack on a $40 cleaning fee to make up the rate difference. (sneaky, but it works!)
You will most likely have better luck with the entire house rental on Airbnb than the single rooms. However, your photos on Airbnb aren't really emphasizing the amenities that renters get with the entire house rental. Can they use the kitchen? If so, include one excellent photo of the kitchen instead of all of the photos of benches & statues in the garden. Pare down the number of pictures and focus on specific WOW factors. Show one great photo of the garden, one photo of the deck, etc. I recommend removing the 3 photos of a cat. Follow these same guidelines with the photos of your rooms. Have one great photo of the room, like the pic you have of the master suite that shows the bed, sitting area & fireplace all in one photo. No need to show it from 4 different angles.
Follow these guidelines with your webpage, too. Since your page is hosted by Acorn, I'm not sure how many changes you can make without being charged for them. It's excellent that your webpage is mobile friendly, and the navigation menu is great. However, there's way too much text and a lot of random photos. Mobile users are looking for brief descriptions. No one is going to scroll 4 pages down on their phone to read all that text. The same trend is happening on desktops. Pare your descriptions down to the main points. Your main header scrolls through a TON of photos. Pick your best 5 high-resolution photos. Show the outside of the house, one room, a breakfast, and maybe the common area. Here's a website that's a good example (not mine, but also designed by my web host): https://www.hilltophousebb.com.
I would also look at are the OTA's you are no longer using hijacking your B&B name - this has been a big problem for others I know who have pulled out of using them - click the link and it takes you through to exp or BOO and it just says no availability ie implying you are full and the guest looks no further
Jcam said:
THAT is why I would never list with them. They word it in such a way that they are telling the truth - No availability known - which they do not know because you are not listing. Of course, they do that with mine also because I do not list with rhem. In that respect, it makes no difference.

I can’t offer anything with regard to booking engines and air bnb
I can only view your site as a prospective guest so, if you are willing, please read my impressions
I can tell you love the grounds and garden ... but I want to see more of the inside of your inn than of outside. And it's winter now. I love the guest winter outside picture .. so I’d use it prominently somewhere right now. Or take one.
I would zoom in on the house and yes I’d adjust that picture so it looks level with the top of the page.
Can you shrink the top header or have the text right on the image and move some of the links to under the pics or make them smaller so I see the images big and bold when I go to your site? My preference would be to see just your B.B. name, where you are and a link to book. On my phone the site works great but the header is huge and takes away from your pictures. Check it on your phone and you'll see what I mean.
I also want to see the breakfast room in the slideshow - where do guests eat right now in snow ... I think I saw a guest picture of it?
Maybe some new room pictures ... focusing on different aspects of the room instead of trying to capture everything in one. But I wouldn’t worry about redecorating and updating rooms. I think it looks cozy.
Especially I would highlight the fireplaces in winter!

My thoughts are keep it simple, sweet, and to the point. Have the front page not so cluttered and add the information to other pages. Most guests won't read it all and those who do, will read them on another page. A picture is worth a thousand words! Have nice clear pictures on the front page. Don't be afraid to zoom in on an interesting spot in the house that other inns and air homes don't have. Show me why yours the best for me out of everyone else.
Air taking over? Add all the rooms to air and even add a fee, to encourage them to book directly with you. At check out hand them a business card and say about booking directly with you to save them money next time. You will be surprised that they didn't realize they were paying more than the ones that booked directly with you. I don't mention about their fee to me, its all about the guests. A lot of people say that they booked our inn on air because everyone told them to use air but they weren't ready to stay at some strangers house. When we first did air it was just college age people...now its from grandparents to students. Its the new fad.
Cheering you on!

Basil, sure hope you are still around and reading this thread.
I too do not think anyone here was trying to hurt your feelings in any manor. But I understand how sometimes the truth hurts even when it is said with honey poured over it.

But instead of me looking at your site and giving advice that way, I instead will tell you a couple of things that I have had told to me from individuals from their presumptions of my place.

The name of the city causes many to assume I am located on the water. Some get mad after they arrive as they wanted to fish from my property, some ask when they call. I don't mention any of that on my site, yet the assumption is there because of the name of the city!
What we have done: We put a google map of the area with our destination marked so people can see the distance to the water. We have also made a list of nearby fishing piers and launches. It hasn't solved the issue 100% but much better.

Another caller stated 'I will take any room other than the one with that horrible, busy wallpaper'. The room has an ascent wall with a Monet style print wallpaper. I was heartbroken when I heard it. When that guest checked in (had booked another room) she asked if there was any way to see that room with the horrible wallpaper. When she saw the room she said it was beautiful and loved the decor, wallpaper too.
What we have done: We still have that wallpaper on the one wall. BUT removed the photo from our website which shows that wall. The bookings for that room have gone up substantially since the change. What I concluded was that the picture did not do justice to the wallpaper and when I had looked at the picture of the wallpaper, my mind's eye was seeing the beautiful view and not the busy ugly view the picture portrayed.

So in conclusion, what I learned is that I am too close to the subject to give an honest opinion of my site. While the feedback may feel like a stab in the heart, listen to those that care about your success - and the people here want you to prosper.

Best wishes!

I too do not think anyone here was trying to hurt your feelings in any manor. But I understand how sometimes the truth hurts even when it is said with honey poured over it.

But instead of me looking at your site and giving advice that way, I instead will tell you a couple of things that I have had told to me from individuals from their presumptions of my place.

The name of the city causes many to assume I am located on the water. Some get mad after they arrive as they wanted to fish from my property, some ask when they call. I don't mention any of that on my site, yet the assumption is there because of the name of the city!
What we have done: We put a google map of the area with our destination marked so people can see the distance to the water. We have also made a list of nearby fishing piers and launches. It hasn't solved the issue 100% but much better.

Another caller stated 'I will take any room other than the one with that horrible, busy wallpaper'. The room has an ascent wall with a Monet style print wallpaper. I was heartbroken when I heard it. When that guest checked in (had booked another room) she asked if there was any way to see that room with the horrible wallpaper. When she saw the room she said it was beautiful and loved the decor, wallpaper too.
What we have done: We still have that wallpaper on the one wall. BUT removed the photo from our website which shows that wall. The bookings for that room have gone up substantially since the change. What I concluded was that the picture did not do justice to the wallpaper and when I had looked at the picture of the wallpaper, my mind's eye was seeing the beautiful view and not the busy ugly view the picture portrayed.

So in conclusion, what I learned is that I am too close to the subject to give an honest opinion of my site. While the feedback may feel like a stab in the heart, listen to those that care about your success - and the people here want you to prosper.

Best wishes!.
Wow.

Best wishes!.
Copperhead said:
...what I learned is that I am too close to the subject to give an honest opinion of my (own work)...
I think this is so true for so many -- whether one is their own harshest critic, or one tends to think overly highly of oneself, or somewhere in between -- you really have to step back and either reflect from a distance and/or be open to outside perspectives in order to truly see reality. But it can be scary and very hard to do.
Copperhead said:
While the feedback may feel like a stab in the heart, listen to those that care about your success - and the people here want you to prosper.
This too is so on the mark. I truly believe that everyone here in the Innspiring community really does care and indeed wants to see everyone here prosper!

Best wishes!.
Copperhead said:
...what I learned is that I am too close to the subject to give an honest opinion of my (own work)...
I think this is so true for so many -- whether one is their own harshest critic, or one tends to think overly highly of oneself, or somewhere in between -- you really have to step back and either reflect from a distance and/or be open to outside perspectives in order to truly see reality. But it can be scary and very hard to do.
Copperhead said:
While the feedback may feel like a stab in the heart, listen to those that care about your success - and the people here want you to prosper.
This too is so on the mark. I truly believe that everyone here in the Innspiring community really does care and indeed wants to see everyone here prosper!
I think you also need to be aware of your strengths - Mine is SOOO not taking photo's they look dreadful When I take a picture of anything so I get someone in

Back