"It's so hard to find a job."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. It's Monday again and there I am enjoying my hot cocoa with friends when who walks in? Yup, the same gal looking for work. I had just seen, on Facebook, another local restaurant looking for servers. I walk over to her, remind her we met a couple of weeks ago and tell her about the new jobs.
First thing she says? 'Oh, they'll be hiring back the people the had before.' Not, 'I tried there, they've filled all the positions.' Just that she's absolutely sure they are ONLY hiring the people they had already.
Why they would advertise on Facebook for people who already work for them I don't know.
So, I'm done with the good deeds in her case. When I saw that FB post I actually wondered how I could find her to let her know.

So. It's Monday again and there I am enjoying my hot cocoa with friends when who walks in? Yup, the same gal looking for work. I had just seen, on Facebook, another local restaurant looking for servers. I walk over to her, remind her we met a couple of weeks ago and tell her about the new jobs.
First thing she says? 'Oh, they'll be hiring back the people the had before.' Not, 'I tried there, they've filled all the positions.' Just that she's absolutely sure they are ONLY hiring the people they had already.
Why they would advertise on Facebook for people who already work for them I don't know.
So, I'm done with the good deeds in her case. When I saw that FB post I actually wondered how I could find her to let her know..
You are a good networker and she is not a good job-hunter. A no-win combination.

So, I'm done with the good deeds in her case. When I saw that FB post I actually wondered how I could find her to let her know..
people like that deserve neither sympathy nor help there is plenty of work for those who want it!

I had to search for this thread to place my comment today.
If you have seen our place - out front we have lawns and then next door they do too and if you were on a mower you could just mow it all together, vs stopping at an invisible spot row after row and cutting back.
Once again, we went over to the service mowing next door and said "If you want to make some extra $ and want to keep on mowing we will hire you" and once again, nothing. You don't even have to stop moving to get this job done and make money.
So far twice now we have tried this tactic, vs a new landscaping company coming out and charging the moon to mow the front yard, and it is an epic fail, again. It is not like you have to even go across the street to mow our yard, it is the same yard...

If you have seen our place - out front we have lawns and then next door they do too and if you were on a mower you could just mow it all together, vs stopping at an invisible spot row after row and cutting back.
Once again, we went over to the service mowing next door and said "If you want to make some extra $ and want to keep on mowing we will hire you" and once again, nothing. You don't even have to stop moving to get this job done and make money.
So far twice now we have tried this tactic, vs a new landscaping company coming out and charging the moon to mow the front yard, and it is an epic fail, again. It is not like you have to even go across the street to mow our yard, it is the same yard....
Good lord, a head scratcher.

So far twice now we have tried this tactic, vs a new landscaping company coming out and charging the moon to mow the front yard, and it is an epic fail, again. It is not like you have to even go across the street to mow our yard, it is the same yard....
I feel your pain...have had that here too. Can't get one of 2 services mowing other lawns on this street to either give me a call back, or give me an estimate to mow our two lawns when they're physically here doing the work! We consistently have problems with any kind of service calling back when you leave a message either on their voicemail or with their office. The actual workers are not empowered to give you any estimates. ugh.
It IS a head scratcher indeed...

I feel your pain...have had that here too. Can't get one of 2 services mowing other lawns on this street to either give me a call back, or give me an estimate to mow our two lawns when they're physically here doing the work! We consistently have problems with any kind of service calling back when you leave a message either on their voicemail or with their office. The actual workers are not empowered to give you any estimates. ugh.
It IS a head scratcher indeed...
You have to keep the fangs hidden while talking to them!
wink_smile.gif

I guess they are hungry here. I call my guy and he shows up after work. I think this will his 3rd or 4th year now. The high school kid stopped coming after graduation.

people like that deserve neither sympathy nor help there is plenty of work for those who want it!
Exactly! That's what I wanted to say also. Give it to other interested people who are willing to give their best without complaining.

Back