Keep warm friends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
feb13b.png

so I was wondering if there's a zero temperature ... I know silly maybe but I can't recall seeing a zero, so I checked the weather and saw zero, then checked another and -2.9 degrees. Negative. Now -6 How low can we go?
med_12717632_10208406570140771_121150241548931419_n.jpg

Yet in a few days we might be in the 50's here.
Missed out on going to see a movie about an hour ago, but it hurts to breathe out there tonight.
Stay warm, indeed!.
-7 outside. -31 with wind chill. Last looked (8am) 58 in dining room with two boilers running full power and an electric fireplace..... The two couples in the dining room says their rooms are fine!
regular_smile.gif
I told them to feel free to take breakfast to their room since one girl is sitting cross legged on her chair with her hands stuck in pockets.
sad_smile.gif

Someone didn't close the front door last night. It took 2 hours to get the dining room up to a habitable temp.
Are you kidding me? Yet ... why am I not surprised? It's still -8 here in full sun but going to rise to 0 by noon, can't imagine what temps like that would do to a room ... a house. Hey, Happy Valentines Day
heart.gif

Morticia said:
Someone didn't close the front door last night. It took 2 hours to get the dining room up to a habitable temp.
Luckily, it wasn't wide open or we would have been shoveling snow out the door! The side door was the same way but we didn't find that until noon. We kept wondering why it just wasn't getting warm enough.
Yes, that happened at least twice today! I guess it wasn't cold enough for them!
wink_smile.gif
One main house bedroom's bath froze over. The apt froze, too. We moved the couple with the not working heater to another room and she had a reaction to the bedding.
sad_smile.gif
We stripped their first room bedding from that bed and put it all in their new room. Hopefully that helps. Now that the heater is back to working, we will offer them the first room back, so if they decided to go back.... I just finished cleaning it, all it needs is its bedding back. The wind was so strong it was blowing out the pilot light on the one boiler every couple hours. People were leaving the door open or the wind was saying hello. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep last night. Oh, by the way, the winter fest theme is, "May The Frost Be With You".
One room just handed my thirty dollars, must be doing something right!
We have one bathroom that was added on and it is so cold in that shower that several years ago the water from someone's shower froze to the floor of the shower.
We installed a small heater that runs on a thermostat. It costs a fortune but it's better than frozen pipes.
We also had to add small bath rugs in that bathroom.
Since ALL my bathrooms have waterlines on outside walls, I have the heat on in them. I would rather pay the electric company than the plumber - especially since one of those bathrooms is over MY bed. Heat in with doors shut upstairs to hold the heat in and Himself now keeps the gas heaters in the kitchen and our bathroom on ALL the time. Helps a lot. I am about ready to turn on the electric heater in my office The ice cubes toes in my shoes are starting to clink.
These pipes travel across the top of a very cold stone ledge in the north corner of the huge monster basement. We just finished putting a heating cable next to the pipes and wrapping it with installation... Should do the trick says the hardware store man.

feb13b.png

so I was wondering if there's a zero temperature ... I know silly maybe but I can't recall seeing a zero, so I checked the weather and saw zero, then checked another and -2.9 degrees. Negative. Now -6 How low can we go?

Missed out on going to see a movie about an hour ago, but it hurts to breathe out there tonight.
Stay warm, indeed!.
-7 outside. -31 with wind chill. Last looked (8am) 58 in dining room with two boilers running full power and an electric fireplace..... The two couples in the dining room says their rooms are fine!
regular_smile.gif
I told them to feel free to take breakfast to their room since one girl is sitting cross legged on her chair with her hands stuck in pockets.
sad_smile.gif

Are you kidding me? Yet ... why am I not surprised? It's still -8 here in full sun but going to rise to 0 by noon, can't imagine what temps like that would do to a room ... a house. Hey, Happy Valentines Day
heart.gif

Morticia said:
Luckily, it wasn't wide open or we would have been shoveling snow out the door! The side door was the same way but we didn't find that until noon. We kept wondering why it just wasn't getting warm enough.
Yes, that happened at least twice today! I guess it wasn't cold enough for them!
wink_smile.gif
One main house bedroom's bath froze over. The apt froze, too. We moved the couple with the not working heater to another room and she had a reaction to the bedding.
sad_smile.gif
We stripped their first room bedding from that bed and put it all in their new room. Hopefully that helps. Now that the heater is back to working, we will offer them the first room back, so if they decided to go back.... I just finished cleaning it, all it needs is its bedding back. The wind was so strong it was blowing out the pilot light on the one boiler every couple hours. People were leaving the door open or the wind was saying hello. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep last night. Oh, by the way, the winter fest theme is, "May The Frost Be With You".
We have one bathroom that was added on and it is so cold in that shower that several years ago the water from someone's shower froze to the floor of the shower.
We installed a small heater that runs on a thermostat. It costs a fortune but it's better than frozen pipes.
Since ALL my bathrooms have waterlines on outside walls, I have the heat on in them. I would rather pay the electric company than the plumber - especially since one of those bathrooms is over MY bed. Heat in with doors shut upstairs to hold the heat in and Himself now keeps the gas heaters in the kitchen and our bathroom on ALL the time. Helps a lot. I am about ready to turn on the electric heater in my office The ice cubes toes in my shoes are starting to clink.
These pipes travel across the top of a very cold stone ledge in the north corner of the huge monster basement. We just finished putting a heating cable next to the pipes and wrapping it with installation... Should do the trick says the hardware store man.
YEA! Our main waterline is under the kitchen floor (what used to be the porch) and a chubby 2-year-old could not be able to get under there to wrap anything. We have had it freeze about 3 times in 21 years - there is an access in a corner where his exercise bike used to be. We put an electric heater down the hole and aimed it toward the waterlines and it worked. Now we just put the downstairs faucets on drip for the duration and crank the heaters a bit.

It was -22 in the North Country this morning and up to -13 now! No guests so we don't have to worry about them though the upstairs is quite toasty and comfortable. How can someone not close a door in this weather? Morticia, so sorry to hear that and hope nothing was ruined. And Duff, I'm not surprised at your ability to make someone comfortable, even in your space. Adaptability 101..
Yeah, I know. I like to leave my bedroom door open on these cold days but don't want to if guests are on our side. My bedroom isn't the neatest. Also it means leaving the door open upstairs between the public and private parts, so anyone can just wander over and they do.....

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
Ah, sounds like our old house in VT. We wondered why the back room was so dang cold and found that the pipes going to it, that actually ran next to a cast iron radiator and were IN the kitchen, had one little jog that sat on the stone wall of the basement. Gomez put a little jog to the inside, away from the wall, and solved the problem.
In that house our dishwasher used to freeze if we didn't leave the cupboard door under the sink open. And when we did leave it open we couldn't get the kitchen to warm up.
That was a two pair of wool socks house. When I worked from home I ran two wood stoves and the furnace so I could take my hat off. You could feel the different climate zones walking thru the house. I am just not that young anymore!

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Ugh! Shower drain in lower room froze twice on two different sets of guests. Despite this, first set of guests left a fifty dollar tip. Then the washing machine hose/pipe froze. Poppa has spent a lot of time in crawl spaces with a hairdryer.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Ugh! Shower drain in lower room froze twice on two different sets of guests. Despite this, first set of guests left a fifty dollar tip. Then the washing machine hose/pipe froze. Poppa has spent a lot of time in crawl spaces with a hairdryer.
Momma Smurf said:
As long as you don't lose power and warmth you are okay, even with the cruddy frozen stuff. Be safe and stay warm! Poor Poppa, that can't be fun.
We are nowhere near your temps, but enough to cause strife in this area. I wonder if the guests who had breakfast delivered in the snow this morning will think of a gratuity for the "deliverer" would sure be a nice gesture, esp when we have to dig to get them out and on the road today...

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
As long as you don't lose power and warmth you are okay, even with the cruddy frozen stuff. Be safe and stay warm! Poor Poppa, that can't be fun.
We are nowhere near your temps, but enough to cause strife in this area. I wonder if the guests who had breakfast delivered in the snow this morning will think of a gratuity for the "deliverer" would sure be a nice gesture, esp when we have to dig to get them out and on the road today...
..And the other frozen shower people here for one night left a nine dollar tip... nothing from anyone else.... Go figure. This was an extremely taxing weekend, after being dead pretty much since NYD, this weekend of being virtually full for the past three days going out of our way to do lots of Valentine's special stuff makes us want to crawl back into hibernation. Unfortunately, at the moment, Wednesday is the only day no one is here.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
..And the other frozen shower people here for one night left a nine dollar tip... nothing from anyone else.... Go figure. This was an extremely taxing weekend, after being dead pretty much since NYD, this weekend of being virtually full for the past three days going out of our way to do lots of Valentine's special stuff makes us want to crawl back into hibernation. Unfortunately, at the moment, Wednesday is the only day no one is here.
Momma Smurf said:
Too much, give too much, as mentioned on the other thread.
Our last room was able to barely get out. Came here with bald tires.
So one room left a day early and we did not charge the second night and now have found no mattress protector on the bed. Not in the room anywhere. I emailed to ask them. Leave us a note or something if you remove or take something...

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
So one room left a day early and we did not charge the second night and now have found no mattress protector on the bed. Not in the room anywhere. I emailed to ask them. Leave us a note or something if you remove or take something...
JBloggs said:
Ha! And the guests who take too much, too much.. read my other post re Cookies on Mort's "What is this world coming to?" thread. Exactly. And make us feel bad because they are not entitled to an endless personal cookie jar! Grrrrrrr.....

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
The tiny heater we have fits in the space behind the shower, where the pipes are. It's about 5" square. It turns on and off as it needs to. Has helped a lot. Still very cold but nothing, fingers crossed, has frozen.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
Tell me about it! First work day in 6 weeks! I'm dead. But it's quiet again now. Only a couple of rooms for the rest of the month.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
Tell me about it! First work day in 6 weeks! I'm dead. But it's quiet again now. Only a couple of rooms for the rest of the month.
Morticia said:
Same here. Full with a couple turnovers this past weekend and two reservations for the next two months so far.
Had one couple here for three nights. They did a Boston day yesterday and at around 4, when we were lighting the fire in our living room as the sun sets and the cold gets worse, we thought to check on their room. Sure enough, they had been thoughtful enough to turn off their electric fireplace and their room was like ice. We turned on the fireplace for them. Nothing like coming home from a day on the train and drafty old tour busses to a cold room.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

We had this happen twice with temps below or just above freezing. Everyone was freezing eating breakfast. We installed door closers because of this and at least it will always close over if not latch all the way.

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

We had this happen twice with temps below or just above freezing. Everyone was freezing eating breakfast. We installed door closers because of this and at least it will always close over if not latch all the way.
MtnKeeper said:
Great idea! We're putting in a screen door for summer (yay!) so will probably do that then. We couldn't have one before because of the stairs. To many guests would have gotten bumped down the stairs!

feb13b.png

Stay warm, indeed!.
regular_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif

heart.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
We had this on Saturday - ongoing problem with the design of the shower trap - big circular disk they keep breaking - if they had said when they left would have been a 5 min trip to the shop - because they didn't and it was 1.30 when chamber maid got to the room and all plumbers merchants here shut at 12. it was a complete nightmare! drove all over to try and get a compatible part - went absolutely bannas

We will be in the high 60s today after thunderstorms and high winds yesterday. Will be in the 70s at the end of the week!
Stay warm my friends in the Northeast!!

Back