Late night leavers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A gecko...why did they even go to your country??? Of course their are none in Brazil..????
They are what they are...kind of like our stinkbugs..they are here...deal with it for pity's sake!! Good for you they just left. Bet they spent the night in their car.....grrrrr.
EmptyNest said:
A gecko...why did they even go to your country??? Of course their are none in Brazil..????
They are what they are...kind of like our stinkbugs..they are here...deal with it for pity's sake!! Good for you they just left. Bet they spent the night in their car.....grrrrr
It is ALWAYS my sincere hope when people act (in person or on the phone) that I am too expensive, that they enjoy a pleasant night sleeping in their car - unless of course they find a flea-bag (complete with fleas) or a busy by-the-hour................

I had one leave for a mosquito in the room. Seriously. We keep a clean house, but we're not magic.

Ahhhh the Gueko's we have thousands of them. Alot of people are very frightened of them. However it appears your guests had a exit strategy.
DH's brother came out from the UK and stayed up all night for his first night. He freaked out that if he were to drift off to sleep they would drop from the ceiling onto him. Thank goodness he didnt start attacking them. There would have been drop tails everywhere.
I get calls asking "Do you have Gueko's" ? Ummm Tropical Australia yes we do. Not sure what sanitised box they intend staying at.
I have metal brightly coloured Gueko Sculptures around the outside of our property. These are harmless.

Ahhhh the Gueko's we have thousands of them. Alot of people are very frightened of them. However it appears your guests had a exit strategy.
DH's brother came out from the UK and stayed up all night for his first night. He freaked out that if he were to drift off to sleep they would drop from the ceiling onto him. Thank goodness he didnt start attacking them. There would have been drop tails everywhere.
I get calls asking "Do you have Gueko's" ? Ummm Tropical Australia yes we do. Not sure what sanitised box they intend staying at.
I have metal brightly coloured Gueko Sculptures around the outside of our property. These are harmless..
Kakadu Australia said:
He freaked out that if he were to drift off to sleep they would drop from the ceiling onto him.
I spent a week in a rain forest resort in eastern Ecuador a few years ago. There were about 20 guests there, including a newly wed twenty-something couple (quite a honeymoon!).
The first night several of us were standing at the bar when a tarantula dropped from a beam above and landed on the shoulder of the young groom. He was very cool about it, didn't even spill his beer! The bartender just said, "Think nothing of it. Happens all the time."
They warned us that there may be crawling visitors in our rooms at night, and to wear our shoes, after carefully checking inside them, if we got up in the night. You go to the rain forest, what do you expect!
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

I have metal brightly coloured Gueko Sculptures around the outside of our property. These are harmless..
Kakadu Australia said:
He freaked out that if he were to drift off to sleep they would drop from the ceiling onto him.
I spent a week in a rain forest resort in eastern Ecuador a few years ago. There were about 20 guests there, including a newly wed twenty-something couple (quite a honeymoon!).
The first night several of us were standing at the bar when a tarantula dropped from a beam above and landed on the shoulder of the young groom. He was very cool about it, didn't even spill his beer! The bartender just said, "Think nothing of it. Happens all the time."
They warned us that there may be crawling visitors in our rooms at night, and to wear our shoes, after carefully checking inside them, if we got up in the night. You go to the rain forest, what do you expect!
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

gotta admit, the rainforest is not on my wish list at all. And I think you just reminded me why.

Kakadu Australia said:
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

gotta admit, the rainforest is not on my wish list at all. And I think you just reminded me why.
TheBeachHouse said:
THIS is the link to the place, in case you change your mind ;-)
sacha-lodge.jpg

Kakadu Australia said:
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

TheBeachHouse said:
sacha-lodge.jpg

Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
sacha-lodge.jpg
Wow. Beautiful.

Things like this are just part of the travel experience. As we know, some people should never leave home!
Arky, that is an amazing place! I would go in a heartbeat!

Things like this are just part of the travel experience. As we know, some people should never leave home!
Arky, that is an amazing place! I would go in a heartbeat!.
Breakfast Diva said:
Arky, that is an amazing place! I would go in a heartbeat!
They had one of those canopy observation posts where you're up in the top of the tallest trees in the forest, looking at howler monkeys and such. And every day they took us out on hikes to point out different vegetation and the medicinal uses. And one day we visited the hut of some natives who offered us some sort of fermented beverage they make. I faked sipping some. Wouldn't drink that stuff for the world.
A VERY interesting experience and I'd love to go back some day because the bartender made excellent martinis and always gave me an extra olive! I'm easy to please.

Kakadu Australia said:
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

TheBeachHouse said:
sacha-lodge.jpg

That is my kind of place. I also want that room to clean. Open & screened off just fan cooled. Open shelving robes. A shower that you just walk up to. Perfect set up for the tropics.

we just got marked down on b ookin g.com by a chap who I knew would be bother from when he arrived "you are no where near number 53" in a very aggressive voice as I opened the door - felt like saying We never said we were and neither does boo king.c om so why you have been driving up and down looking at the wrong side of the road is beyond me - marked us down for an $80 room! for value and shot off without having any breakfast so he lost out there..
Joey Camb said:
we just got marked down on b ookin g.com by a chap who I knew would be bother from when he arrived "you are no where near number 53" in a very aggressive voice as I opened the door - felt like saying We never said we were and neither does boo king.c om so why you have been driving up and down looking at the wrong side of the road is beyond me - marked us down for an $80 room! for value and shot off without having any breakfast so he lost out there.
Apparently the entire address system in the world is wrong, but he is right. What a dork!
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Camb said:
we just got marked down on b ookin g.com by a chap who I knew would be bother from when he arrived "you are no where near number 53" in a very aggressive voice as I opened the door - felt like saying We never said we were and neither does boo king.c om so why you have been driving up and down looking at the wrong side of the road is beyond me - marked us down for an $80 room! for value and shot off without having any breakfast so he lost out there.
Apparently the entire address system in the world is wrong, but he is right. What a dork!
Camb explains on another thread that she is 52-54 but 53 is about a mile away, so apparently in this case there really IS something wrong with the address system! I'm sure the PITA spotted 53 first and was frustrated that 54 was no where near it, and that started things downhill before he ever even got to the B&B.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Camb said:
Camb explains on another thread that she is 52-54 but 53 is about a mile away, so apparently in this case there really IS something wrong with the address system! I'm sure the PITA spotted 53 first and was frustrated that 54 was no where near it, and that started things downhill before he ever even got to the B&B.
a MILE AWAY? Not the other side of the road? oh, well in that case, better spell that one out somewhere.
I google mapped it and I see that 11-19 is closer than the 53, the 53 is .2 mile, but on the next block. No wonder!
it is the other side of the road - but about a mile down that side, for myself I would look at the numbers opposite that ie number 20 and think I must drive further down in that direction

Kakadu Australia said:
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

OMG, just looking at this creeps me out!
omg_smile.gif
Ever since a spider fell into my beer and bit my tongue, while I was eating at a pizza joint, I am always on the look out for a lurker on the ceiling. Never went back to that place either....they didn't even pay for the beer!
wink_smile.gif

Sadly, this happens, rarely. Sorry you had it happen to you.
If they badly want to break the contract (you provide a room, they provide payment) a spider will suddenly appear, or mosquitos, or a wasp and they are deadly allergic. They'll just make stuff up, but the creative ones make it something you cannot easily remedy.
Really, the biggest decision is whether to give a full refund and be done with them, or a partial refund and be done with them. Glad you kept a cleaning fee.
I've mentioned here more than once a perhaps legitimate case we had were "city slickers" came to our river cabins, not really prepared for life in the woods, and had to leave because they said the neighbor's old one-eyed cow was "looking funny" at them!
I'm sure it was. She's a funny looking cow..
Had some New York city slickers who booked my last room during a summer evening two years ago. They arrived, checked in and the husband came to get us 1/2 hour later demanding his money back saying his wife couldn't possibly stay so REMOTE in the woods like this, she'd be afraid to go out to the car to go to dinner or go outside to enjoy the deck. We are set back on beautiful acreage but in less than a minute in the car down the driveway you are on the major route that crosses our state. Website clearly shows we are setback and not on a main drag but we are not REMOTE! I believe she didn't like the room which was our handicap one, the only one left, and used this as an excuse. There were no other rooms anywhere so I hope they had fun spending hours driving around to find something. Sad thing is a nice young couple stopped in a couple hours before these ones arrived and we had to turn them away. So I lost $175 but got the jerk out of the house quickly before other guests saw his arguing with us.
MtnKeeper said:
... but got the jerk out of the house quickly ...
Sometimes that is the best professional option. We have had only three "oh no this isn't what I wanted" guests in five years. In each case the neurotic behavior flashed red warning and I was very pleased to encourage them go on their way.

Sadly, this happens, rarely. Sorry you had it happen to you.
If they badly want to break the contract (you provide a room, they provide payment) a spider will suddenly appear, or mosquitos, or a wasp and they are deadly allergic. They'll just make stuff up, but the creative ones make it something you cannot easily remedy.
Really, the biggest decision is whether to give a full refund and be done with them, or a partial refund and be done with them. Glad you kept a cleaning fee.
I've mentioned here more than once a perhaps legitimate case we had were "city slickers" came to our river cabins, not really prepared for life in the woods, and had to leave because they said the neighbor's old one-eyed cow was "looking funny" at them!
I'm sure it was. She's a funny looking cow..
Had some New York city slickers who booked my last room during a summer evening two years ago. They arrived, checked in and the husband came to get us 1/2 hour later demanding his money back saying his wife couldn't possibly stay so REMOTE in the woods like this, she'd be afraid to go out to the car to go to dinner or go outside to enjoy the deck. We are set back on beautiful acreage but in less than a minute in the car down the driveway you are on the major route that crosses our state. Website clearly shows we are setback and not on a main drag but we are not REMOTE! I believe she didn't like the room which was our handicap one, the only one left, and used this as an excuse. There were no other rooms anywhere so I hope they had fun spending hours driving around to find something. Sad thing is a nice young couple stopped in a couple hours before these ones arrived and we had to turn them away. So I lost $175 but got the jerk out of the house quickly before other guests saw his arguing with us.
MtnKeeper said:
... but got the jerk out of the house quickly ...
Sometimes that is the best professional option. We have had only three "oh no this isn't what I wanted" guests in five years. In each case the neurotic behavior flashed red warning and I was very pleased to encourage them go on their way.
Tom said:
We have had only three "oh no this isn't what I wanted" guests in five years. In each case the neurotic behavior flashed red warning and I was very pleased to encourage them go on their way.
Don't you wish you could say, "Oh no, you aren't the type guest I wanted. Please leave now."

Kakadu Australia said:
tarantula_face_ls.jpg

Ok, seriously... I just cussed out loud as I scrolled past this picture.
regular_smile.gif

Back