Learning Lessons

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all sympathize with your experience. If every guest that I went out of my way for gave me a 5* review, I'd be #1 in my city on all of the review sites. I mean really, really went out of my way - numerous rides to the airport that's 30 min away, doing the occasional load of laundry, took a guest's camera to a repair shop once, drove guests who didn't rent a car to an UNESCO world heritage site 30 min away, even helped a military guest relocating overseas wash & drop off her car at the transport location an hour away! No 5* reviews from any of these folks. But I've received a 3* review bc I said one snippy sentence to a guest.
As you know, reviews are often more of a reflection on the reviewer as they are on you. Kindhearted, polite, generous people leave thoughtful reviews that recognize and appreciate your hard work. Jerks with chips on their shoulders nitpick and criticize petty items whilst overlooking their experience as a whole.
I know you'll draft an appropriate response to their review. I'd be tempted to say, "I'm certain you meant to give us 5* based on us doing a,b,c,d,e,f,g... for you" :D.
I haven't really decided if I want to reply, other than to say that I'm sorry they were disappointed with their stay... as a way of telling them that their review fell below what I was expecting from them.
That is probably not the way to go. Instead, turn their review into an opportunity to highlight all the wonderful extra things you did for them and comment that you are pleased they enjoyed their stay and appreciated all that you did. The casual reader will only glean the positive things you say. The jerk that left the 4* review will most certainly get the intent behind the words as a slap on the hand for their less than 5* review.
Silverspoon said:
That is probably not the way to go. Instead, turn their review into an opportunity to highlight all the wonderful extra things you did for them and comment that you are pleased they enjoyed their stay and appreciated all that you did. The casual reader will only glean the positive things you say. The jerk that left the 4* review will most certainly get the intent behind the words as a slap on the hand for their less than 5* review.
Good idea! Sarcasm rarely comes across the way you want it to. It would sound petty to comment on the 4 stars with sarcasm.
Morticia said:
Good idea! Sarcasm rarely comes across the way you want it to. It would sound petty to comment on the 4 stars with sarcasm.
I agree. I recommend an approach more like, please let us know how we can earn that 5th star next time you visit us! Or, we hope to earn that 5th star next time you visit us!
Generic said the review "seemed to be so fixated on one thing." So it sounds like he knows what silly little thing cost them that 5th star.

We all sympathize with your experience. If every guest that I went out of my way for gave me a 5* review, I'd be #1 in my city on all of the review sites. I mean really, really went out of my way - numerous rides to the airport that's 30 min away, doing the occasional load of laundry, took a guest's camera to a repair shop once, drove guests who didn't rent a car to an UNESCO world heritage site 30 min away, even helped a military guest relocating overseas wash & drop off her car at the transport location an hour away! No 5* reviews from any of these folks. But I've received a 3* review bc I said one snippy sentence to a guest.
As you know, reviews are often more of a reflection on the reviewer as they are on you. Kindhearted, polite, generous people leave thoughtful reviews that recognize and appreciate your hard work. Jerks with chips on their shoulders nitpick and criticize petty items whilst overlooking their experience as a whole.
I know you'll draft an appropriate response to their review. I'd be tempted to say, "I'm certain you meant to give us 5* based on us doing a,b,c,d,e,f,g... for you" :D.
I haven't really decided if I want to reply, other than to say that I'm sorry they were disappointed with their stay... as a way of telling them that their review fell below what I was expecting from them.
Silverspoon said:
Morticia said:
I agree. I recommend an approach more like, please let us know how we can earn that 5th star next time you visit us! Or, we hope to earn that 5th star next time you visit us!
Generic said the review "seemed to be so fixated on one thing." So it sounds like he knows what silly little thing cost them that 5th star.
Arks said:
'Silly' being the operative word. Something that probably could not have been fixed because the guest was in the wrong place for what they wanted.

Silverspoon said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
'Silly' being the operative word. Something that probably could not have been fixed because the guest was in the wrong place for what they wanted.
Exactly. And this weekend I have at least 2 vegans. Gotta get that soft tofu... great stuff to work with.

Generic said:
The lesson they taught me... no good deed goes unpunished.
That is not true. It may look like it, but you got a reward of knowing you did the right thing with no regrets.
PS They liked the exhibit you told them about. The only other lodging place they reviewed got a three eyes..
I have lots of regrets. I could have just enjoyed the other guest without having to translate everything and be an intermediary. :)
I'm sorry but don't let them destroy the rest of your week. The came, they stayed, and they left....Yah! Besides 4 eyes is alright, not the best but okay.

All that being said - do you ever respond or reply to a review that is lesser than expected when a guest leaves a one that stings - esp. when you do go over the top, and they are so friendly and "happy" to your face the whole time they are here? I mean is it worth a response? I don't want to start a pissing match online...just want to be able to have a say...if it's even worth it...?
We recently had a 4* review from a guest with comments on how uncomfortable the room was and we were taken aback. Really?!? Did you have to give a 4* when you thought the room was a little stuffy on a 90+ degree day and the AC was cranking (plus you had a ceiling fan and a register fan - AND we asked how your room was...) and didn't think it had anything to do with the fact that you both are extremely overweight... (not being mean, just stating the facts...)

All that being said - do you ever respond or reply to a review that is lesser than expected when a guest leaves a one that stings - esp. when you do go over the top, and they are so friendly and "happy" to your face the whole time they are here? I mean is it worth a response? I don't want to start a pissing match online...just want to be able to have a say...if it's even worth it...?
We recently had a 4* review from a guest with comments on how uncomfortable the room was and we were taken aback. Really?!? Did you have to give a 4* when you thought the room was a little stuffy on a 90+ degree day and the AC was cranking (plus you had a ceiling fan and a register fan - AND we asked how your room was...) and didn't think it had anything to do with the fact that you both are extremely overweight... (not being mean, just stating the facts...).
Personally, unless it rips your place apart, if you don't reply to every review it's not worth replying to this one because all you do is draw attention to it.
Let's be honest, 4-5 reviews later it'll be on page 2 and no-one will ever read it again.

We recently had a 4* review from a guest with comments on how uncomfortable the room was and we were taken aback. Really?!? Did you have to give a 4* when you thought the room was a little stuffy on a 90+ degree day and the AC was cranking (plus you had a ceiling fan and a register fan - AND we asked how your room was...) and didn't think it had anything to do with the fact that you both are extremely overweight... (not being mean, just stating the facts...).
Personally, unless it rips your place apart, if you don't reply to every review it's not worth replying to this one because all you do is draw attention to it.
Let's be honest, 4-5 reviews later it'll be on page 2 and no-one will ever read it again.
Good point - I haven't responded to any (who has time!?) so I probably should just let this one fall to the bottom and not draw attention to it!

Here in the Midwest desert, reviews are few and far between. My only 4* review on TA comes from a guy who was staying in a COMPED room. Knocked me from #1 to #2 (of 2) B&B's in my town I was very philosophical though. He is a world traveller who has been to more places than I can even imagine. He rated me, a rank amateur, against all the other places he's been. So I turned it around and think I'm standing pretty good next to lots of other places.
I know that's not the same thing as Generic who lives and dies by the review...

Okay, I'm odd, I think reviews are helpful, even negative ones as they educate me about how others see us. I think most folks actually read reviews and what folks have to say may bring more business than the number of stars or eyes, sure I wish they were all 5's, but folks base their reviews on different standards.
If a guest rates us on a scale between the worst and best place he/she ever stayed, I might not expect to be a 5 if they have stayed as some classy places during life. If a guest rates us on a scale based on price in our area I may rate a higher number as we try hard to be excellent and reasonable. I'm disappointed if I get a low score, sure it hurts and puts me in a down mood, but I also need to let that review educate me from the prospective of the guest and if possible solve the problem for future guests.
Yeah, you can't win them all, recent guest was unhappy that the cost was higher than last time, demanded a specific room that was an upgrade from the price quoted, then reviews the room as having an odor, but never said anything to us, uh well, you did demand that specific room. Still we used it as a learning experience to investigate if there was a reason for an odor other than any food brought in by the last guest.

Here in the Midwest desert, reviews are few and far between. My only 4* review on TA comes from a guy who was staying in a COMPED room. Knocked me from #1 to #2 (of 2) B&B's in my town I was very philosophical though. He is a world traveller who has been to more places than I can even imagine. He rated me, a rank amateur, against all the other places he's been. So I turned it around and think I'm standing pretty good next to lots of other places.
I know that's not the same thing as Generic who lives and dies by the review....
Innkeep said:
My only 4* review on TA comes from a guy who was staying in a COMPED room.
The old grouch! Says the rooms are very clean and well equipped, then gives the rooms 4 of 5. Says the beds are comfortable then gives sleep quality a 4 also. What does it cost him to give you a 5? Nothing! Makes me mad!
I have two 4's. One was because the city hadn't yet fixed the street light out front. I'm not as good as you and Kevin Bacon are at turning it around and feeling OK about it!

Solo guest this weekend, about 75-80 years old. Used to come here with spouse, spouse now deceased. Does this loop once/year, going to the places they enjoyed together. What I learned - life goes on, you survive, you can thrive, people will be there for you if you let them.

Solo guest this weekend, about 75-80 years old. Used to come here with spouse, spouse now deceased. Does this loop once/year, going to the places they enjoyed together. What I learned - life goes on, you survive, you can thrive, people will be there for you if you let them..
heart.gif

Back