Left items

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Found guest items this morning so I called them as I know they are not headed home today and may be able to stop in next week to pick items up. Did not have cell number even tho it was listed on the reg form as the cell number. Spoke at length to someone who barely grunted at me until I was told I'd gotten the home number.
Now, my next inclination would be that the person at home would contact the person on the road to tell them to call me. No. I was to wait on the line while the person at home found their phone, looked up the number, decided that number wasn't right, found another number and told me to 'text the info'. Of course I had to say I was calling from a landline and could not text, would the person answer their phone? No, person on the road never answers phone, only answers texts.
So, would the person at home NOW get in touch with the person on the road being as they had their phone in hand and knew the person's quirks? No.
I guess person on the road will figure out tonight they left something important behind. Odd how nice the person traveling was compared with the person at home. But maybe person at home works nights and I woke that person up. (Who said that realizing where the call was coming from it was probably trouble on the road and why bother answering!)

Person who answered might not have known person travelling stayed with you. Or something.
Easier for you if they pick the stuff up on return trip but ...
who knows

I'd be inclined to wait for the guest to contact me and explain to them that I left a message at the home number when they were still in the area and could still swing by and pick it up. I'd even be tempted to charge them for the hassle of having to pack and ship it back to them. (Probably wouldn't do that, but I WOULD be tempted.)
And if I didn't hear from them - oh well.

I'd be inclined to wait for the guest to contact me and explain to them that I left a message at the home number when they were still in the area and could still swing by and pick it up. I'd even be tempted to charge them for the hassle of having to pack and ship it back to them. (Probably wouldn't do that, but I WOULD be tempted.)
And if I didn't hear from them - oh well..
We'll see if they contact me or not.
It's not a heavy item, so easy to ship back if they haven't replaced it by tomorrow.

Lost & Found has now become a revenue center for us, albeit not a big one.
If someone wants something shipped back we'll do it, but we charge them for the postage and a shipping and handling charge to make it worth our trouble.
If they don't, we hold it for two months and then pass it on to the consignment store, where we get a few sheckles if it sells.

In the trash. Guest doesn't want it back.
I hadn't thought about the consignment store. I just bring it all to the community center for them to sell.

If someone wants something shipped back we'll do it, but we charge them for the postage and a shipping and handling charge to make it worth our trouble.
If they don't, we hold it for two months and then pass it on to the consignment store, where we get a few sheckles if it sells..
Funny, this morning I had a call about a pillow that was left behind LAST YEAR. It was one of those big heavy ones and she asked me to hold it for a couple weeks as they'd come back by and pick it up. They never did but called about 2 months later asking me to mail it. It old them that I would have to buy a box and they'd have to pay for the shipping which they didn't want to do so asked me to hold it for a week and they'd be by. Never came so it went over to the little shop at the transfer station where you can leave things. It's been over 9 months and he was hoping that we had still kept it because they'd come by next week.
As for returning stuff, it all depends if I charge or not. If it's really expensive to ship back, then I charge. I hate to admit it but if a guest was a PIA then I also will charge them for my time/shipping costs. But today I mailed back the hearing aid we found outside a couple days after a guest left. I pray it still works as we did have some rain. They were awesome and it only cost me about $6 to send it back so I didn't charge them.

If they don't, we hold it for two months and then pass it on to the consignment store, where we get a few sheckles if it sells..
Funny, this morning I had a call about a pillow that was left behind LAST YEAR. It was one of those big heavy ones and she asked me to hold it for a couple weeks as they'd come back by and pick it up. They never did but called about 2 months later asking me to mail it. It old them that I would have to buy a box and they'd have to pay for the shipping which they didn't want to do so asked me to hold it for a week and they'd be by. Never came so it went over to the little shop at the transfer station where you can leave things. It's been over 9 months and he was hoping that we had still kept it because they'd come by next week.
As for returning stuff, it all depends if I charge or not. If it's really expensive to ship back, then I charge. I hate to admit it but if a guest was a PIA then I also will charge them for my time/shipping costs. But today I mailed back the hearing aid we found outside a couple days after a guest left. I pray it still works as we did have some rain. They were awesome and it only cost me about $6 to send it back so I didn't charge them.
We ended up with one of those insulated totes. Fairly large. Guest said to leave it 'outside' as someone would be by to pick it up. It's been moldering in where we keep the trash cans for who knows how long. Next time I notice it I'm just going to throw it in the trash!

We charge whether guest as PIA or not. Haven't had a guest complain about it -- no one expects us to mail it back on our dime.

Latest posts

Back