Local back scratching

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had another innkeeper try to steal 3 of my guests once. They were meeting their sister here at my place and were going to do some local things, including seeing a show. It just so-happened that on the back of the tickets, this other B&B had an advertisement and one of the sisters thought that's were they were staying. Well, the sister who got here first (a personal friend) called the others to see what had happened to them. I was none too happy.
Now, most of us in these parts play nice in the sandbox and when one of us gets a call from a potential guest who's need they cannot fill for whatever reason, MOST of us will refer the guest to another inn that can help them. I only will sent phone PITA's to this theiving inn. Like ones who call and want to put 5 people in one room..
Poaching. We've had that here. Found out from one of my guests they were approached at an event by a guy who chatted them up. Asked where they were staying, how long, all that. Then he told them his B&B was nicer. That next time they should skip staying here and go to him.
Not the first time we heard he had done that.
we had this once - one of our loyal regulars, she came right back to me and told me.
we have a local Italian - VERY good and always takes perfect care of my people - ie one guest really fancied spagettie carbonara so the made it for him from scratch even though it wasn't on the menu.
They started doing gelato and sent me a package with 3 types in it so I could give it a try.
We used to have an indian which did 10% off to any BB which gave their guest a card to hand in - ie then they could easily track referals - however they all went to prison for holding staff as slaves.
Not much to choose from near me. There is a good home-style cooking spot close by and they tend to close when they're not busy. But even when I do call, they sound annoyed, as if they don't want anyone to come because they just want to go home early! Now, I just warn guests that if they don't eat early, they'll have to go to the roadhouse a few blocks over. They're slow, but the food is decent and I've never heard any complaints. It must be nice not to have to worry about getting any new business. Even when I stopped by during a lull to introduce myself, they just kind of brushed me off and said I could pin my cards to a board in the entryway. Thanks so much for your excellent customer service skills!!!!
I sometimes wonder if the reason that so many restaurants go out of business is simply they have no idea what marketing is. Really, a B&B is in your area, you think you could come over, introduce yourself and give a menu, so that guests can peruse a sample menu when making a decision.
We have a street with 10 restaurants, most struggling, very close to us. In all the years just 1 of the restaurants has dropped off a menu and that was when they were opening. At least they made an effort.

I had another innkeeper try to steal 3 of my guests once. They were meeting their sister here at my place and were going to do some local things, including seeing a show. It just so-happened that on the back of the tickets, this other B&B had an advertisement and one of the sisters thought that's were they were staying. Well, the sister who got here first (a personal friend) called the others to see what had happened to them. I was none too happy.
Now, most of us in these parts play nice in the sandbox and when one of us gets a call from a potential guest who's need they cannot fill for whatever reason, MOST of us will refer the guest to another inn that can help them. I only will sent phone PITA's to this theiving inn. Like ones who call and want to put 5 people in one room..
Poaching. We've had that here. Found out from one of my guests they were approached at an event by a guy who chatted them up. Asked where they were staying, how long, all that. Then he told them his B&B was nicer. That next time they should skip staying here and go to him.
Not the first time we heard he had done that.
we had this once - one of our loyal regulars, she came right back to me and told me.
we have a local Italian - VERY good and always takes perfect care of my people - ie one guest really fancied spagettie carbonara so the made it for him from scratch even though it wasn't on the menu.
They started doing gelato and sent me a package with 3 types in it so I could give it a try.
We used to have an indian which did 10% off to any BB which gave their guest a card to hand in - ie then they could easily track referals - however they all went to prison for holding staff as slaves.
Not much to choose from near me. There is a good home-style cooking spot close by and they tend to close when they're not busy. But even when I do call, they sound annoyed, as if they don't want anyone to come because they just want to go home early! Now, I just warn guests that if they don't eat early, they'll have to go to the roadhouse a few blocks over. They're slow, but the food is decent and I've never heard any complaints. It must be nice not to have to worry about getting any new business. Even when I stopped by during a lull to introduce myself, they just kind of brushed me off and said I could pin my cards to a board in the entryway. Thanks so much for your excellent customer service skills!!!!
I sometimes wonder if the reason that so many restaurants go out of business is simply they have no idea what marketing is. Really, a B&B is in your area, you think you could come over, introduce yourself and give a menu, so that guests can peruse a sample menu when making a decision.
We have a street with 10 restaurants, most struggling, very close to us. In all the years just 1 of the restaurants has dropped off a menu and that was when they were opening. At least they made an effort.
Actually, you've just reminded me. When a local pizza franchise was opening, they booked the out of province trainer a room with us for a week. So, now when our guests say they don't want to go out, we always recommend the pizza place and the owner himself will deliver. Forgot about that. But that's the only one. He's a rarity in these parts.

Wow, these stories are awful! Forward thinking would do these people a lot of good.

I would not hold my breath waiting for a thank you, let alone some reciprocity. It rarely happens here either. Isn't it amazing that restaurant owners do not realize the power of suggestion that B+Bs have for literally thousands of potential diners?
We have one restaurant in the next town who shows some gratitude by stopping by at the beginning of the season with some home made preserves or a comped dessert. But that is about it.
sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
I would not hold my breath waiting for a thank you, let alone some reciprocity. It rarely happens here either. Isn't it amazing that restaurant owners do not realize the power of suggestion that B+Bs have for literally thousands of potential diners?
We have one restaurant in the next town who shows some gratitude by stopping by at the beginning of the season with some home made preserves or a comped dessert. But that is about it.
sad_smile.gif
Oh yes, please stop by and hand me some papers to give you more business. And not being a dolt, I actually have the best caterer in the whole area at the end of my street.
I am not holding my breath at all, it is really something else. A comped dessert would speak volumes.
I think innkeepers are the only nice ones in the hospitality business.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am not holding my breath at all, it is really something else. A comped dessert would speak volumes.
OMG!! You are SO right!
Not sure I agree with this, sorry!! The people who have been the rudest to us have all been innkeepers, both here in town and others that I reached out to when building to see if they would share any info on building a B&B - not marketing, etc. but on building one from scratch. She was in another State and sent me the rudest email I've ever received.
I've had many wonderful repeat guests go to dinner at two local inns and at both they asked where they were staying and at both they told them that they should stay with them instead, that they were better. Even giving them a rack card with a discount coupon attached to stay with them next time. And one did an article warning potential guests to not believe the photos that the other B&Bs posted and our marketing text, that unless they were Select Registry that they were not worth staying at! One of these guys is a pompous ass the other ones are hired innkeepers obviously trying to increase business to make some kind of year end bonus. In addition, the previous paid innkeepers came to my open house and were pulling my sheets off checking on the name of my mattresses - caught red handed with a group of guests I was giving a tour to. I do not recommend their restaurants to anyone or have their menus on site based on their past actions - I recommend my local restaurants that do what they do the best and don't try to steal my guests.

sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
sad_smile.gif
Oh yes, please stop by and hand me some papers to give you more business. And not being a dolt, I actually have the best caterer in the whole area at the end of my street.
Joey Bloggs said:
OMG!! You are SO right!
Not sure I agree with this, sorry!! The people who have been the rudest to us have all been innkeepers, both here in town and others that I reached out to when building to see if they would share any info on building a B&B - not marketing, etc. but on building one from scratch. She was in another State and sent me the rudest email I've ever received.
I've had many wonderful repeat guests go to dinner at two local inns and at both they asked where they were staying and at both they told them that they should stay with them instead, that they were better. Even giving them a rack card with a discount coupon attached to stay with them next time. And one did an article warning potential guests to not believe the photos that the other B&Bs posted and our marketing text, that unless they were Select Registry that they were not worth staying at! One of these guys is a pompous ass the other ones are hired innkeepers obviously trying to increase business to make some kind of year end bonus. In addition, the previous paid innkeepers came to my open house and were pulling my sheets off checking on the name of my mattresses - caught red handed with a group of guests I was giving a tour to. I do not recommend their restaurants to anyone or have their menus on site based on their past actions - I recommend my local restaurants that do what they do the best and don't try to steal my guests.
I think I will have to agree with you on this to some extent. We used to get along with just about everyone and we worked together really well. but that was prior to our retiring. From what I hear these days from those that we are still friends with...no one talks to anyone or helps anyone. It's everyone for themselves. TOO BAD :-(

sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
sad_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
OMG!! You are SO right!
I have yet to meet an unhelpful innkeeper. Sorry for your luck. I have been trying to find someone to open another B & B in my City. Oh how I wish....

sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
sad_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
OMG!! You are SO right!
I never think of B&Bs as my competition and when they come to me for help, I help. With one exception, the one B&B that thought that we were competition.
Some people are just rotten, it doesn't matter what business they are in. They haven't figured out that there is room for all of us.

sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
sad_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
OMG!! You are SO right!
I think I will have to agree with you on this to some extent. We used to get along with just about everyone and we worked together really well. but that was prior to our retiring. From what I hear these days from those that we are still friends with...no one talks to anyone or helps anyone. It's everyone for themselves. TOO BAD :-(
We have just the same thing going on. We keep trying to get us all working together. Just the other day I was at a business after hours gathering. Where the locals come and have a chat and wine is provided or small munchies. So hubby and I are chatting away to some new owner of some small business and finding all about them.
Then we turned and chatted with the owners of a B&B. She asked how was our summer. I told her it was great a bit slow in the beginning but lasted longer this year. Told her about an interesting guest we had. She said this guy, had called her. To see if he could bring his kids there. Asked to speak to my hubby. She said oh that not us we are XXX & XXXXXX.. He said do you take kids she said no and then he got kind of abusive. and said what wrong with you people! So she said she did not explain why she did not take kids . He had asked us when he was staying here, and we told him usually we don't but in his case we would love to have him come with his teens. This would be the sleeping arrangement. He told us not to go to so much trouble and they would all sleep together in the king bed.
I said it is ok we will make up the bed sofa it is very comfortable, so our guest tell us. When he left he was so call us and let us know for sure he was coming with his kids. Ok great. he was coming for a good friend of his that had passed away.
Well here it is one day before he is to come and we have not heard from.... Not sure what to do at this point as we were staying open for him.
But what got me in this whole story was she never would of told me about this if I hadn't told her about this interesting fellow we had. I suspected along that she was taking my guest often as we both have the same type name. We had another time when a guest had told us she stayed a year at this B&B that she thought was ours but it looked different . I won't go into that story. Damit ,it just made my blood boil. I too have had her guest phone thinking it was the correct B&B and told them to phone this B&B as Iam sure they are booked there. Also have had guest come to the door thinking they had booked here and sent them up to hers. Not a thank you either.
grrrr people do the darnest things ! Don't they?

So what a few of you are saying local backscratching does not apply to other innkeepers.

So what a few of you are saying local backscratching does not apply to other innkeepers..
I think it does. When I'm full, I give out other innkeepers names, websites and phone numbers and I know that they do the same. (As I said, with one exception).

sad_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
sad_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
OMG!! You are SO right!
We have just the same thing going on. We keep trying to get us all working together. Just the other day I was at a business after hours gathering. Where the locals come and have a chat and wine is provided or small munchies. So hubby and I are chatting away to some new owner of some small business and finding all about them.
Then we turned and chatted with the owners of a B&B. She asked how was our summer. I told her it was great a bit slow in the beginning but lasted longer this year. Told her about an interesting guest we had. She said this guy, had called her. To see if he could bring his kids there. Asked to speak to my hubby. She said oh that not us we are XXX & XXXXXX.. He said do you take kids she said no and then he got kind of abusive. and said what wrong with you people! So she said she did not explain why she did not take kids . He had asked us when he was staying here, and we told him usually we don't but in his case we would love to have him come with his teens. This would be the sleeping arrangement. He told us not to go to so much trouble and they would all sleep together in the king bed.
I said it is ok we will make up the bed sofa it is very comfortable, so our guest tell us. When he left he was so call us and let us know for sure he was coming with his kids. Ok great. he was coming for a good friend of his that had passed away.
Well here it is one day before he is to come and we have not heard from.... Not sure what to do at this point as we were staying open for him.
But what got me in this whole story was she never would of told me about this if I hadn't told her about this interesting fellow we had. I suspected along that she was taking my guest often as we both have the same type name. We had another time when a guest had told us she stayed a year at this B&B that she thought was ours but it looked different . I won't go into that story. Damit ,it just made my blood boil. I too have had her guest phone thinking it was the correct B&B and told them to phone this B&B as Iam sure they are booked there. Also have had guest come to the door thinking they had booked here and sent them up to hers. Not a thank you either.
grrrr people do the darnest things ! Don't they?
Our building looks similar to another one in town. We've had a lot of people say how nicely we've fixed the place up and how they don't remember the door being where it is. That's when we know they're in the wrong place.
I had one guy arguing with me at 9 PM that he had a reservation here. 'We looked online, we saw the pictures, this is the place.'
I was trying to stop him from unloading his car with all his kids in tow! He wouldn't believe me. I had to walk him over to the sign and ask him if that was the place he was staying.

So what a few of you are saying local backscratching does not apply to other innkeepers..
In our case, we do get and refer to other breakfast all the time. Restaurants are different story all together. Years ago we approached some in the immediate area- no interest on their part at all.

Back