Looking for a new tablet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have a Nexus, but the 7". The 9" is still available from Google. There is a new one coming out soon. And Amazon has a few cheapies, including one for $50.
Sorry, not an Apple person. I can't afford the premium.
If you have your tablet set to backup then when you connect your new one on you google account you should be able to bring back photos and such..
I have the 7" one too.
All I really have on it are games. It doesn't take good photos unless all you want are selfies.
Are you having any problems? I guess I can change out the charger insert which might help with the charging problem. Which might help with the random booting problem.
Do you have the older version or the younger version? Because my USB charger port isn't in great shape, so I use a QI charger instead. Somehow the 7" size just sits better in the hands than larger ones.
I can't figure out which one i have! But I don't think that charger works. You have to have the charging port on the back right?
How can I figure out which version I have anyway?
On the back, hold the tablet in portrait format. If you can read the Nexus sideways, it's the newer model. In that case the QI is built-in, you can just get the charger. I bought on ebay from China, but that takes 30 days, so look on Amazon. Rather cheap. You plug the cable into that and then put the tablet on top to charge.
No, it's the older one.

I could not travel without my iPad. We purchase a month of data from Att when we travel so we are connected even if the wifi does not work. We also find the map function indispensable as the gps location moves along map as we do. It really is just like our iMac at home so we have easy access to our email, files as well as movies from Netflix. We need two iPads or we fight.
omg_smile.gif
It's time to replace our oldest, 5-year old iPad with a newer one and we would never consider a different tablet.

I just bought a Surface Pro 4 (Microsoft). It's a full Windows computer, but the thin, featherweight lighted keyboard is only attached by a magnet, so snap off the keyboard and it becomes a regular touchscreen tablet. I love it. It's a tablet, laptop, and desktop all in one, so everything I have and need is on this one device (I also have an iPhone in my pocket).
When I have real work to do, I go to the desk, snap on the keyboard, plug in my big monitor and mouse and it's a regular Windows desktop that will do anything any other Windows desktop can do.
Or I can carry it to my easy chair and it's a regular laptop, with both a touch pad on the keyboard and a touch screen for quick scrolling.
Or I can snap off the keyboard and use it as a tablet as thin, light and big as an iPad.
surface-pro-3.jpg
Arks said:
I just bought a Surface Pro 4 (Microsoft). It's a full Windows computer, but the thin, featherweight lighted keyboard is only attached by a magnet, so snap off the keyboard and it becomes a regular touchscreen tablet. I love it. It's a tablet, laptop, and desktop all in one, so everything I have and need is on this one device (I also have an iPhone in my pocket).
When I have real work to do, I go to the desk, snap on the keyboard, plug in my big monitor and mouse and it's a regular Windows desktop that will do anything any other Windows desktop can do.
Or I can carry it to my easy chair and it's a regular laptop, with both a touch pad on the keyboard and a touch screen for quick scrolling.
Or I can snap off the keyboard and use it as a tablet as thin, light and big as an iPad.
surface-pro-3.jpg
I want one! It's an investment though and I just bought a new laptop recently so it'll have to wait
sad_smile.gif

I could not travel without my iPad. We purchase a month of data from Att when we travel so we are connected even if the wifi does not work. We also find the map function indispensable as the gps location moves along map as we do. It really is just like our iMac at home so we have easy access to our email, files as well as movies from Netflix. We need two iPads or we fight.
omg_smile.gif
It's time to replace our oldest, 5-year old iPad with a newer one and we would never consider a different tablet..
Are you an ATT client already or can you just get the one month data plan? That's the sort of thing we need. We just don't want to pay every month for something we'll use for 2 weeks.

omg_smile.gif
It's time to replace our oldest, 5-year old iPad with a newer one and we would never consider a different tablet..
Are you an ATT client already or can you just get the one month data plan? That's the sort of thing we need. We just don't want to pay every month for something we'll use for 2 weeks.
No, we don't even have a plan for our cell phone...we just throw $25 into a t mob ile pay as you go account every year and use those minutes, plus the ones leftover from the previous year when we using our cell phone away from home.
The att data plan for the iPad is purchased from the iPad using the "settings" menu that comes on the opening screen. As I recall, you go from settings to "cellular data", and then to "plan"...the iPad walks you through it. DH purchases the amount of data and the number of months we need and then makes sure he cancels the plan before any automatic renewals are charged. It is a very cost effective way for us to go and pretty much worked the same way, using a vodophone simcard, when we traveled in Italy.

omg_smile.gif
No, we don't even have a plan for our cell phone...we just throw $25 into a t mob ile pay as you go account every year and use those minutes, plus the ones leftover from the previous year when we using our cell phone away from home.
The att data plan for the iPad is purchased from the iPad using the "settings" menu that comes on the opening screen. As I recall, you go from settings to "cellular data", and then to "plan"...the iPad walks you through it. DH purchases the amount of data and the number of months we need and then makes sure he cancels the plan before any automatic renewals are charged. It is a very cost effective way for us to go and pretty much worked the same way, using a vodophone simcard, when we traveled in Italy.
I just got a cellphone. Same deal. I think I have $100 on it right now. Thanks for the info on how the ATT thing works.

omg_smile.gif
I just got a cellphone. Same deal. I think I have $100 on it right now. Thanks for the info on how the ATT thing works.
Remember that you will need to buy a tablet that supports a SIM card... in case you weren't spending enough money already :)

I love my iPad Air, it's about 2 years old and have never had an issue with it. I use it to read, go online, take photos, even pay bills occasionally. My original iPad that is about 6 years old became my electronic recipe collection - I copied all of my recipes into it by creating a new Note, and either typing them in or pasting them in if they are online and then in the morning I just flip it on, go to Notes and search the recipe name. I have it on a raised stand and LOVE IT. And I occasionally need to look something up while in the kitchen so it's great for that as well - I don't have to go back to my office. Everyone in our house has an iPad and we all love them.

omg_smile.gif
Remember that you will need to buy a tablet that supports a SIM card... in case you weren't spending enough money already :)
Generic said:
Thanks. I would not have thought of that.

surface-pro-3.jpg
Google just announced a tablet with a detachable keyboard yesterday.
Here's the link... http://gizmodo.com/the-pixel-c-is-googles-own-android-tablet-hybrid-1733559705 $499 plus $150 for the keyboard, apparently.

I do NOT like my Kindle Fire.
I do like my iPad..
I had no idea how limited the Kindle Fire was when I got it. Had I known what the iPad did, would have gotten it then. I use the Kindle mostly for borrowing books from the Library (and I can have up to 10 at a time so I do not run out of things to read) and traveling with it since it does get my e-mails, RezKey, etc with wifi. It is a bit heavy too.

I do NOT like my Kindle Fire.
I do like my iPad..
I had no idea how limited the Kindle Fire was when I got it. Had I known what the iPad did, would have gotten it then. I use the Kindle mostly for borrowing books from the Library (and I can have up to 10 at a time so I do not run out of things to read) and traveling with it since it does get my e-mails, RezKey, etc with wifi. It is a bit heavy too.
gillumhouse said:
The sales person at Staples thought I was too stupid for a Nexus and kept pushing the Kindle. I kept asking if the Kindle did this and that and the answer was always no but she really, really did NOT want to sell me the Nexus saying it would be 'too hard' for me to learn. That was 4 years ago. How obnoxious can sales people get to the elderly? ;-)

surface-pro-3.jpg
Arks said:
I just bought a Surface Pro 4 (Microsoft).
Arks, I thought they were pre-order only right now? Let me know how you like it. I'm contemplating this or the Surface book for a few hundred more.

surface-pro-3.jpg
Arks said:
Arks, I thought they were pre-order only right now? Let me know how you like it. I'm contemplating this or the Surface book for a few hundred more.
LogCabinResort said:
Arks said:
Ah, I guess mine's a 3. I got it about 6 weeks ago. Just my luck to buy right before a new release. I love it. A tablet when I want a tablet, a desktop when I need that. Very fast, very stable.

Well, fixed the charging port so I'm good for a few more years. Other than the speakers no longer work. Apparently a known problem that has no solution - you replace a part, any part, the speakers stop working.

Back