looking for your thoughts on bedandbreakfast.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I are new B&B owners, and just finished setting up Freetobook as our booking software. I am really really happy -- it is FREE. They do offer additional paid for services, but you don't need to use them. You can use them for credit card payments, but we are only accepting cash or check now. So, no charge, and we have a calendar and book now option on our website. Bedandbreakfast.com has been pushing us to use their booknow function, but I am reluctant to pay the commission. I would be interested in hearing if others have any experience with Freetobook. Hey, go to our website and check it out -- belltowerbandb.com -- I'd be curious to hear your take on us..
Just saying and its my experience not taking cards leaves you very vulnerable unless you expect everyone to pay in advance and don't take short notice bookings.
Cash or check only. No I way! You must take credit card
EmptyNest said:
Cash or check only. No I way! You must take credit card
Square with an iPhone or iPad is the easiest and least expensive way to go with credit cards. Flat fee no matter which card is presented. No extra fees and the money is in your account almost the next day. No machine to take up space or connect.
IF people have to come up with cash now, they will not come. Charge it and they will. You can still offer the cash/check option - I do and it works beautifully. Credit card to guarantee and I welcome the cash or check when they arrive.

My wife and I are new B&B owners, and just finished setting up Freetobook as our booking software. I am really really happy -- it is FREE. They do offer additional paid for services, but you don't need to use them. You can use them for credit card payments, but we are only accepting cash or check now. So, no charge, and we have a calendar and book now option on our website. Bedandbreakfast.com has been pushing us to use their booknow function, but I am reluctant to pay the commission. I would be interested in hearing if others have any experience with Freetobook. Hey, go to our website and check it out -- belltowerbandb.com -- I'd be curious to hear your take on us..
lazarus, this is a side note off the topic. You need to put your location on your website and I also suggest placing a phone number.
Try accepting credit cards via Square - easy and only a nominal cost to get the equipment to read the chip cards.

As Mort says, you can list without using their booking system. There are quite a few booking systems less expensive such as Reservation Key.
I have been with them for many, many years but this may be the end. My stats with them have almost bottomed out since their addition of the Diamond collection and all the secondary city listings that provides. (I did search for Nashville, IN and currently the list there is small)
I recently had a face to face meeting with one of their reps. about the lack of performance. Well, the rep told me she would look into my issue - still nothing. Maybe they know there is nothing they can do!
The last few years of membership have been strictly for link love, but I can get that from several other directories for a fraction of the cost..
So here are the stats I got this AM - 25,000 city views. 1300 page views. 1200 visits to my site. What I take away from this is that after going to the city list, 95% of the viewers look at a different property than mine. But, 92% who look at my listing go on to look at my site. And they spend over 3 minutes there according to GA. (Still cannot link GA to my booking engine.)
Are those 1200 visits (not necessarily 1200 separate guests) worth $600/year (the lowest rate for a link)? Perhaps for one more year.
If I want more leads to my website the obvious answer is to pay them more to move my place up the list. At present, I'm below all the diamond properties and inns that pay to be on my city page.
My stats are a fraction of that. Of course I am not in a tourist town by any means. (YTD) City:13,287 Page view 2968 Web click:171 - according to the email they sent. My GA results state 118 referrals for the same time period.
Worth the $600/year (lowest membership w/link)??? I think not.

Just saying and its my experience not taking cards leaves you very vulnerable unless you expect everyone to pay in advance and don't take short notice bookings.
Jcam said:
Totally agree that not having a credit card on file opens you up to a lot of lookie lous who hold a room then don't show up because they have no skin in the game.
Our cancellations dropped from 10% to less than 1% once we started getting advance deposits on a credit card.
and not just bad people daffy people - ie rang people last night for arrival time for today, said oh have we a reservation we didn't seem to get a confirmation email (ie went into spam) so we thought it wasn't booked - ie wern't going to come and were super pleased to be able to - however If I hadn't phoned, but would still be out of pocket.

lazarus, this is a side note off the topic. You need to put your location on your website and I also suggest placing a phone number.
Try accepting credit cards via Square - easy and only a nominal cost to get the equipment to read the chip cards.
Copperhead, you made me laugh when you pointed out we don't have our address or phone number on our website! Our guests must be pretty resourceful to even find us. Anyway -- fixed now. You have been a real help and I thank you.
We are indicating that we take credit cards for reservations, and cash or check for payment. We'll see how it goes! Anyway, so far, so good. We are having a blast with our new B&B.
regards, Steven at the Bell Tower

As Mort says, you can list without using their booking system. There are quite a few booking systems less expensive such as Reservation Key.
I have been with them for many, many years but this may be the end. My stats with them have almost bottomed out since their addition of the Diamond collection and all the secondary city listings that provides. (I did search for Nashville, IN and currently the list there is small)
I recently had a face to face meeting with one of their reps. about the lack of performance. Well, the rep told me she would look into my issue - still nothing. Maybe they know there is nothing they can do!
The last few years of membership have been strictly for link love, but I can get that from several other directories for a fraction of the cost..
So here are the stats I got this AM - 25,000 city views. 1300 page views. 1200 visits to my site. What I take away from this is that after going to the city list, 95% of the viewers look at a different property than mine. But, 92% who look at my listing go on to look at my site. And they spend over 3 minutes there according to GA. (Still cannot link GA to my booking engine.)
Are those 1200 visits (not necessarily 1200 separate guests) worth $600/year (the lowest rate for a link)? Perhaps for one more year.
If I want more leads to my website the obvious answer is to pay them more to move my place up the list. At present, I'm below all the diamond properties and inns that pay to be on my city page.
We have a silver listing plus a secondary city. YTD visits to our site: 3355; cost $990. That's 30 cents a click. They're are second highest referral next to Google. I use there Hot Deal email campaign EVERY week.
B&Bdotcom's Bounce rate is 13.8, which is awesome and means those clicks are from our targeted audience.

We have a silver listing plus a secondary city. YTD visits to our site: 3355; cost $990. That's 30 cents a click. They're are second highest referral next to Google. I use there Hot Deal email campaign EVERY week.
B&Bdotcom's Bounce rate is 13.8, which is awesome and means those clicks are from our targeted audience.
Momma Smurf said:
These guys beat out every paid referrer which, given the numbers, is pathetic. My town listing is twice the rate and delivers about half the referrals. I'm just doing it now to keep the map.

Momma Smurf said:
These guys beat out every paid referrer which, given the numbers, is pathetic. My town listing is twice the rate and delivers about half the referrals. I'm just doing it now to keep the map.
.30 a click is great. Our next highest referrers are double that.
You're saying that your town's rate is almost $2K?

Momma Smurf said:
.30 a click is great. Our next highest referrers are double that.
You're saying that your town's rate is almost $2K?
$1200. Double the price of bnb . com.

Momma Smurf said:
They charge that much for a secondary listing (Silver listing is ruffly $600yr)? Wow!

By what I am seeing here between your stats and Morts to mine are drastic. Guess this should read: Your mileage may vary! Of course I do not expect to get the same numbers as a business in a tourist area, but being the only game in town, I would expect the % of clicks to my full listing & to my website to be far more than what it is.

Momma Smurf said:
They charge that much for a secondary listing (Silver listing is ruffly $600yr)? Wow!

By what I am seeing here between your stats and Morts to mine are drastic. Guess this should read: Your mileage may vary! Of course I do not expect to get the same numbers as a business in a tourist area, but being the only game in town, I would expect the % of clicks to my full listing & to my website to be far more than what it is.
My listing just expired. They called. I mentioned the ad about awkward innkeepers. They didn't care. Yes, I think i was quoted just under $600 for the listing. For me it's about 50 cents per click in that case. I do get enough bookings to reup with them.

Momma Smurf said:

My total annual cost is $1080. $990 was YTD. I actually have 2 secondary cities, each is an additional an additional $270 a year plus $540 for Silver. Still, at .30 per click overall, it's well worth it for us.

Momma Smurf said:

My total annual cost is $1080. $990 was YTD. I actually have 2 secondary cities, each is an additional an additional $270 a year plus $540 for Silver. Still, at .30 per click overall, it's well worth it for us.
Well if it works for you..that is great. There is no way on this earth I would pay anyone that amount of money for a listing..just say'n.

Momma Smurf said:

Well if it works for you..that is great. There is no way on this earth I would pay anyone that amount of money for a listing..just say'n.
EmptyNest said:
It is outrageous. But it pays for itself, for me, in two, two night reservations.

Momma Smurf said:

EmptyNest said:
It is outrageous. But it pays for itself, for me, in two, two night reservations.
Yup. All paid with just 5 rooms on a Summer Friday or Saturday.
ROI is the key, Not the overall $$ amount.

Momma Smurf said:

Momma Smurf said:
I agree, 30 cents per click is great and you are getting a great return on your investment.
For me not so much. It ranges between $3.50-$4.00 per click depending on if you use their stats or my GA stats to get the click thru. #.

Back