Love & Hate & TA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of instead of replying with a tl;dr version, I might reply simply with "As you said, most of this could have been solved with you simply asking us. The sheets, the cereal, etc. could have been solved, but instead you decided it was more important to be miserable and complain when you were home rather than ask us to make you a bowl of oatmeal, give you ear plugs, put on cotton sheets, etc. Sorry you ruined your own vacation."

I was thinking of instead of replying with a tl;dr version, I might reply simply with "As you said, most of this could have been solved with you simply asking us. The sheets, the cereal, etc. could have been solved, but instead you decided it was more important to be miserable and complain when you were home rather than ask us to make you a bowl of oatmeal, give you ear plugs, put on cotton sheets, etc. Sorry you ruined your own vacation.".
I'd go even shorter - As you mentioned, most of the issues you raised could have been solved had you brought them to our attention. Bringing it up now doesn't allow us to help you in any way. As we cater to a diverse group of world travelers we cannot please every person who walks through the door. But, we'd like the chance to try. We recommend bringing issues to the attention of your innkeepers while you are in their homes, rather than waiting to write a snarky review about things that could have been fixed had we only known what you needed - different sheets, different cereal, ear plugs, etc.
(OK, that wasn't shorter, I got riled as I wrote...)

I was thinking of instead of replying with a tl;dr version, I might reply simply with "As you said, most of this could have been solved with you simply asking us. The sheets, the cereal, etc. could have been solved, but instead you decided it was more important to be miserable and complain when you were home rather than ask us to make you a bowl of oatmeal, give you ear plugs, put on cotton sheets, etc. Sorry you ruined your own vacation.".
I'd go even shorter - As you mentioned, most of the issues you raised could have been solved had you brought them to our attention. Bringing it up now doesn't allow us to help you in any way. As we cater to a diverse group of world travelers we cannot please every person who walks through the door. But, we'd like the chance to try. We recommend bringing issues to the attention of your innkeepers while you are in their homes, rather than waiting to write a snarky review about things that could have been fixed had we only known what you needed - different sheets, different cereal, ear plugs, etc.
We wish you'd brought your cereal preference to our attention while you were here. We are happy to provide the breakfast our guests prefer when they make us aware.

We wish you'd brought your cereal preference to our attention while you were here. We are happy to provide the breakfast our guests prefer when they make us aware.
My Hubby did go out and buy a certain cereal for one guest. A repeat guest who came three times over the summer. 'His' cereal was put out three times over the summer and thrown away after his last visit. A box of cereal is an easy thing to provide.
Some people are just unhappy.

Yes but a great reply...and instructive to readers who may not know that we would like to try to please them!

As you mentioned, most of the issues you raised could have been solved had you brought them to our attention immediately, rather than wait until you were home to write about it. Bringing it up now doesn't allow us to help you in any way. As we cater to a diverse group of world travelers, we cannot please everyone, but we would have appreciated the chance to try. Almost every problem could have been fixed had you simply informed us. We would have been delighted to provide you with cotton sheets, another cereal, ear plugs, asked someone else to sitting at the chef's table, etc., had you told us, rather than decide to be miserable and complain when you got home. We also like to mention that you chose our least expensive room, a room with a window A/C unit that is clearly disclosed on the website, rather than a room with a central A/C unit.

One is calling you a name. If you want it gone. Spelled it wrong, and it isn't "Paul"..
JBloggs said:
One is calling you a name. If you want it gone. Spelled it wrong, and it isn't "Paul".
If they call you something based on a religious or sexual theme you might be able to get the review edited. If they call you weird or odd or say you're a liar that's ok.
Morticia said:
JBloggs said:
One is calling you a name. If you want it gone. Spelled it wrong, and it isn't "Paul".
If they call you something based on a religious or sexual theme you might be able to get the review edited. If they call you weird or odd or say you're a liar that's ok.
No the comment is based on something else, body form. And is a derogatory "name" I think that could be removed.

One is calling you a name. If you want it gone. Spelled it wrong, and it isn't "Paul"..
JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
JBloggs said:
No the comment is based on something else, body form. And is a derogatory "name" I think that could be removed.
Hit the report button. Maybe they will pull it if enough do it.

As you mentioned, most of the issues you raised could have been solved had you brought them to our attention immediately, rather than wait until you were home to write about it. Bringing it up now doesn't allow us to help you in any way. As we cater to a diverse group of world travelers, we cannot please everyone, but we would have appreciated the chance to try. Almost every problem could have been fixed had you simply informed us. We would have been delighted to provide you with cotton sheets, another cereal, ear plugs, asked someone else to sitting at the chef's table, etc., had you told us, rather than decide to be miserable and complain when you got home. We also like to mention that you chose our least expensive room, a room with a window A/C unit that is clearly disclosed on the website, rather than a room with a central A/C unit.
Don't attack the guest. Never attack the guest. Because you are attacking the NEXT guest. So, drop everything from 'we also like to mention...'
Otherwise, I think you've gotten your point across and it's a lot shorter and more coherent than the original. ;-)

JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
JBloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
No, they won't. I had several dozen innkeepers from around the world hit the report button on mine and it didn't do a thing.

Perhaps even shorter and sweeter:
(I tend to live by the motto, "kill 'em with kindness.")
We are so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We wish you'd mentioned your issues while you were still with us. We stock cotton sheets and would have loved to substitute them to make you more comfortable. We also would have been able to give you your favorite cereal, ear plugs, an upgrade to a room with central air and a seat at the main table but we didn't realize you were not enjoying your stay until we read this review.
We cater to a diverse group of world travelers and we strive to make them comfortable and happy during their visit. We only wish you'd given us a chance to do that for you. We hope next time you are in our beautiful city, you give us that chance.

We are so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We wish you'd mentioned your issues while you were still with us. We stock cotton sheets and would have loved to substitute them to make you more comfortable. We also would have been able to give you your favorite cereal, ear plugs, an upgrade to a room with central air and a seat at the main table but we didn't realize you were not enjoying your stay until we read this review.
We cater to a diverse group of world travelers and we strive to make them comfortable and happy during their visit. We only wish you'd given us a chance to do that for you. We hope next time you are in our beautiful city, you give us that chance.
Couldn't have upgraded them if I wanted to... I'm full.

Couldn't have upgraded them if I wanted to... I'm full.
we can say, and perhaps even upgraded you to a room with central air.
the idea being, tell the readers that you have central air in some rooms.

Fantasy reply, "Seriously? You go to a B&B and get upset you don't see Raisin Bran?
why don't you mention the freshly made muffins, made to order eggs and bacon with freshly baked bread and homemade jam? All you remember is we had Cheerios instead of Raisin Bran????
Sheesh."

Fantasy reply, "Seriously? You go to a B&B and get upset you don't see Raisin Bran?
why don't you mention the freshly made muffins, made to order eggs and bacon with freshly baked bread and homemade jam? All you remember is we had Cheerios instead of Raisin Bran????
Sheesh."
The fantasy reply is more like "Look to the right, look to the left, notice the world doesn't revolve around you. You are on vacation, have some shredded wheat with bran instead and smile, someone else is making your bed and scrubbing your toilet."

Sheesh."
The fantasy reply is more like "Look to the right, look to the left, notice the world doesn't revolve around you. You are on vacation, have some shredded wheat with bran instead and smile, someone else is making your bed and scrubbing your toilet."
:D

If it makes you feel better, we've noticed the tone in our TA reviews has gotten a little more critical. Maybe something in the air or pre-election crankiness, perhaps?.
Well, I think that is part of them saying that I hate .... specific people. I think it's really about the election and what they don't have then what we do have.
Generic said:
Well, I think that is part of them saying that I hate .... specific….
I don't believe that unless he just broke another teacup.
wink_smile.gif

Hummm.... In this case, the "specific people" doesn't refer to me.... At least, I hope not !

If it makes you feel better, we've noticed the tone in our TA reviews has gotten a little more critical. Maybe something in the air or pre-election crankiness, perhaps?.
Well, I think that is part of them saying that I hate .... specific people. I think it's really about the election and what they don't have then what we do have.
Generic said:
Well, I think that is part of them saying that I hate .... specific….
I don't believe that unless he just broke another teacup.
wink_smile.gif

Hummm.... In this case, the "specific people" doesn't refer to me.... At least, I hope not !
Gulp! I knew Generic isn't in a good mood!
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

Sheesh."
Most certainly I'd eat your shredded wheat with a smile!
regular_smile.gif
Someone else making my bed and scrubbing my toilet?
regular_smile.gif

BTW, when we have to seat guests close to the kitchen for breakfast we make a big deal about it. 'The chef's table' and that sort of thing. Lots of guests bring up gangster movies where the boss man always eats in the kitchen.
It's not the best spot to sit so we play it up.
Those guests have their backs to the dining room. They are right next to the kitchen. Some have opted to take that table day after day to watch the show..
There's a restaurant where every sits around the chefs while they prepare the food. Can't think of their name right now…. It's the experience not just the food. You could put everyone's name in a hat and the winner gets the chef's corner!
its Teppanyaki - ive got 5 of their tables im trying to get rid of!

Back