Lowering rates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sharing my experience with rates:
When we took over they were dirt cheap $89 a night. No occupancy - go figure. We came in and immediately raised to $110. That went well for about a year as we built up the business. Then raised to $130, all was good. But, as soon as we tried $150 we stopped getting walk-ins and the advance reservations slowed down. We could tell almost immediately that the price was turning people off. We backed down to $140 and reservations picked up. It was alarming how noticeable it was that people didn't like that price. Now we have been at that rate (for our King, in season) for over a year and it's working out great..
Kay Nein said:
When we took over they were dirt cheap $89 a night. No occupancy - go figure. We came in and immediately raised to $110. That went well for about a year as we built up the business. Then raised to $130, all was good. But, as soon as we tried $150 we stopped getting walk-ins and the advance reservations slowed down. We could tell almost immediately that the price was turning people off. We backed down to $140 and reservations picked up. It was alarming how noticeable it was that people didn't like that price. Now we have been at that rate (for our King, in season) for over a year and it's working out great.
Very true. Guests will let you know for sure!
Next week is when everyone and their uncle thinks rooms here should be $50. The season is over, right?
We cannot get walk ins at anything over $100. We don't even bother trying to talk to them.
I bet 75% of our guests think our peak season is winter.

When we took over they were dirt cheap $89 a night. No occupancy - go figure. We came in and immediately raised to $110. That went well for about a year as we built up the business. Then raised to $130, all was good. But, as soon as we tried $150 we stopped getting walk-ins and the advance reservations slowed down. We could tell almost immediately that the price was turning people off. We backed down to $140 and reservations picked up. It was alarming how noticeable it was that people didn't like that price. Now we have been at that rate (for our King, in season) for over a year and it's working out great..
I get that there is a limit, and I get that every area has a different limit, and I am glad that what you are doing is working, and I am really glad you are sharing.
So I present you with a potential future challenge-- and my question does not suppose I know the answer- if you tie your rates to what the public tells you, how are you going to tell the public what your rates are when you have to raise them or, for example, go out of business?

I get that there is a limit, and I get that every area has a different limit, and I am glad that what you are doing is working, and I am really glad you are sharing.
So I present you with a potential future challenge-- and my question does not suppose I know the answer- if you tie your rates to what the public tells you, how are you going to tell the public what your rates are when you have to raise them or, for example, go out of business?
I think that one of the answers to this is something we talked about recently. It's about making who/what you are different from the rest. If you have a niche that others don't have, then you can also set your rates differently than all those others around you. It's pretty tough to compare apples and oranges.
Yes, you will eliminate those that are just shopping for a room, but you will attract others that are looking for what you offer. When they are looking, they may not even know that that's what they want, but when they see your website, it hits them in their core! Yes, I WANT THAT! they will think to themselves. The only way to make that happen is to have an effective website.
I actually saw and experienced one of those websites yesterday. It hit me at my core. I want to go there. I will spend the money it takes to stay there. It probably would not have the same effect on everyone, but it's attracting me. And isn't that what we really want? To fill our rooms with those that really like what we offer and not just folks that are looking to some place to stay.
I'm not saying that I have achieved that myself, but that's what I can work toward.

happykeeper said:
You raise them by 2.50 or 5.00 every few years - starting with the best room if not across the board - rather than do a $10 jump. IF I get the king bed for the Gillum Room for next year (which guess who thinks I am foolish to even consider), that rate will jump by $15 as the others go up by $5. By doing slight increases guests do not notice as much and you get to keep up with the costs that are raising.

Kay Nein said:
But, as soon as we tried $150 we stopped getting walk-ins and the advance reservations slowed down.
A few years ago I saw a study showing you can actually sell more widgets priced at $59 than you can when they're priced at $50!
There's a lot of psychology built into pricing.

Kay Nein said:
But, as soon as we tried $150 we stopped getting walk-ins and the advance reservations slowed down.
A few years ago I saw a study showing you can actually sell more widgets priced at $59 than you can when they're priced at $50!
Interesting article. Admittedly, this is culled from it with out attempting to respond to the full content of psychological pricing.
"Another phenomenon noted by economists is that a price point for a product (such as $4.99) remains stable for a long period of time, with companies slowly reducing the quantity of product in the package until consumers begin to notice. At this time the price will increase marginally (to $5.05) and then within an exceptionally short time will increase to the next price point ($5.99, for example).[6]"
For us, the product is a combination of what we sell, what we add at the sale, and what we add after the sale. We are getting ready for a price increase, so we have to find a way to add value- perhaps by taking something that we add after the sale and promoting it at the sale, and then adding something new after the sale. (the unexpected perk)
Our goal in the past price increases has been to add enough value to offset the quantity loss until the new price point and its new value. Work smarter

Kay Nein said:
Interesting article. Admittedly, this is culled from it with out attempting to respond to the full content of psychological pricing.
"Another phenomenon noted by economists is that a price point for a product (such as $4.99) remains stable for a long period of time, with companies slowly reducing the quantity of product in the package until consumers begin to notice. At this time the price will increase marginally (to $5.05) and then within an exceptionally short time will increase to the next price point ($5.99, for example).[6]"
For us, the product is a combination of what we sell, what we add at the sale, and what we add after the sale. We are getting ready for a price increase, so we have to find a way to add value- perhaps by taking something that we add after the sale and promoting it at the sale, and then adding something new after the sale. (the unexpected perk)
Our goal in the past price increases has been to add enough value to offset the quantity loss until the new price point and its new value. Work smarter
Another way to do it is to wait until someone else in the same market raises their prices. That way you're not having to figure out what new thing the guest wants.
Beachy can look at the established businesses to see how they have met the challenges and then adapt those ideas to how she wants to run.
But, if she's at 90%+ occ right now and 30% next month, raising prices now to offset the income drop next month can really be a boon.
And the occ drop next month may be temporary. Once everyone realizes it's not winter just because labor day has passed, the bookings will pick right up again.
It's never been my goal to be on the bleeding edge so it helps to know that about my way of doing things. I don't want the stress of being the premier place in town.
I'm happy to be in the middle. Not needing every new perk, but not at the bottom where it's 'just a room'.

I think that one of the answers to this is something we talked about recently. It's about making who/what you are different from the rest. If you have a niche that others don't have, then you can also set your rates differently than all those others around you. It's pretty tough to compare apples and oranges.
Yes, you will eliminate those that are just shopping for a room, but you will attract others that are looking for what you offer. When they are looking, they may not even know that that's what they want, but when they see your website, it hits them in their core! Yes, I WANT THAT! they will think to themselves. The only way to make that happen is to have an effective website.
I actually saw and experienced one of those websites yesterday. It hit me at my core. I want to go there. I will spend the money it takes to stay there. It probably would not have the same effect on everyone, but it's attracting me. And isn't that what we really want? To fill our rooms with those that really like what we offer and not just folks that are looking to some place to stay.
I'm not saying that I have achieved that myself, but that's what I can work toward.
I concur, at least I think I do. We often say that we do not have any competition because no one else is like us. This gives us the strength and courage to raise our rates. Hence, the challenge. If you are letting the market forces control your rates, won't it eventually catch up with you? If you control the market forces, as best as you are able anyway, then isn't just a matter of marketing?

I spoke too soon. Got the first of the "I only want to spend $80" folks tonight.
Because the season is over, right?
It's OK. I know what everyone charges so I called to see if one other place had anything open, they did, and another hopefully happy camper went on his way.

I spoke too soon. Got the first of the "I only want to spend $80" folks tonight.
It's OK. I know what everyone charges so I called to see if one other place had anything open, they did, and another hopefully happy camper went on his way..
You actually call around for these people? Seriously?
Enjoy your knight at Motel 6 or Super 8.
Honestly, if they called and said that to me on the phone, I would simply say, sorry we don't have anything available at that price. Good luck. >click<

It's OK. I know what everyone charges so I called to see if one other place had anything open, they did, and another hopefully happy camper went on his way..
Honestly, if they called and said that to me on the phone, I would simply say, sorry we don't have anything available at that price. Good luck. >click<
Jon Sable said:
Walk in. I'm already not doing whatever I was doing before the bell rang so it doesn't hurt to make a call.
Of course if someone is nasty about it, I'm not likely to be helpful.
I also told him where to go for breakfast.
On the phone I just give them the names of places likely to have the price they want. Like what you mentioned.
But at the door it doesn't hurt to be helpful.
Yesterday someone rang the bell and I got her set up at a place up the street. Then found out she was driving a huge rv that wasnt going to fit in anyone's driveway. The other innkeeper watched the rv slow down, look at the driveway and keep going.
People could at least help me help them by explaining what they're driving.

BTW, thanks for the translations! I got mil's book done. Have to order it now so she can enjoy it.

Jon Sable said:
Walk in. I'm already not doing whatever I was doing before the bell rang so it doesn't hurt to make a call.
On the phone I just give them the names of places likely to have the price they want. Like what you mentioned.
Yesterday someone rang the bell and I got her set up at a place up the street. Then found out she was driving a huge rv that wasnt going to fit in anyone's driveway. The other innkeeper watched the rv slow down, look at the driveway and keep going.
I get a few at the door. I usually tell them the places in the neighbourhood. I don't know prices, I just tell them the three places around that they can try.
Honestly.... even when we have it, we don't usually take people at the door. Experience has shown that most of them aren't our customer. They shop price and aren't interested in what I offer unless it's cheap. And one thing I'm not... cheap.

Jon Sable said:
I get a few at the door. I usually tell them the places in the neighbourhood. I don't know prices, I just tell them the three places around that they can try.
Honestly.... even when we have it, we don't usually take people at the door. Experience has shown that most of them aren't our customer. They shop price and aren't interested in what I offer unless it's cheap. And one thing I'm not... cheap.
We do perhaps 1% walk-in. We do everything we can to squelch it.

Jon Sable said:
I never get what you term walk-ins. I consider a walk-in someone who finds me on GPS as they are driving down the highway. The one time I had someone pull up on a Sunday evening expecting to just get a room, I was full so they had to drive on. And even that one had to find me on GPS.

Jon Sable said:
I never get what you term walk-ins. I consider a walk-in someone who finds me on GPS as they are driving down the highway. The one time I had someone pull up on a Sunday evening expecting to just get a room, I was full so they had to drive on. And even that one had to find me on GPS.
Walk-ins, drive-ups, last minutes, finding us on their phone. To us- that's a harder business to be in.
Once in a while we get folks that will call us a day before or in the morning and have seen us on TA and been to our website and would like to stay for a night a two if we have it. They are calling with the intent to book, they know our prices, and an occasional res like that usually works out.

Jon Sable said:
Walk-ins, drive-ups, last minutes, finding us on their phone. To us- that's a harder business to be in.
Once in a while we get folks that will call us a day before or in the morning and have seen us on TA and been to our website and would like to stay for a night a two if we have it. They are calling with the intent to book, they know our prices, and an occasional res like that usually works out.
It's a much harder business. Luckily for us, it has fallen off tremendously over when we first started when last minute, walk in, tourist center referral guests were 40% of our season business.
Now, with 2 chain hotels taking up the slack, we rarely get walk ins. In a way, it has markedly decreased our summer business but we've raised our rates substantially to cover the loss.
Walk ins expect, and have been trained to expect, huge discounts based on what they read online from travel advisors who speak about hotel mindsets of heads in beds regardless of the price.
Which is why we're getting the $80/night crowd now. The hotels are full. B&B's are the fallback plan. The hotels are calling us asking for rooms for their walk in guests but the guests are not willing to pay the rates.

Jon Sable said:
It's a much harder business. Luckily for us, it has fallen off tremendously over when we first started when last minute, walk in, tourist center referral guests were 40% of our season business.
Now, with 2 chain hotels taking up the slack, we rarely get walk ins. In a way, it has markedly decreased our summer business but we've raised our rates substantially to cover the loss.
Walk ins expect, and have been trained to expect, huge discounts based on what they read online from travel advisors who speak about hotel mindsets of heads in beds regardless of the price.
Which is why we're getting the $80/night crowd now. The hotels are full. B&B's are the fallback plan. The hotels are calling us asking for rooms for their walk in guests but the guests are not willing to pay the rates.
Wow. 40% is a scary percentage for walk-ins. Glad that has changed.
I often feel I am in the great minority around the "heads in beds" issue. We behave more like the airlines do now. Book early and online and you can save a little. Book late by phone and you will pay our highest rate.
We got a great deal on a flight to Europe. It was one of those amazing prices that was only there for a short time. Probably to help them get the capacity out of the red. Then it was gone and the prices skyrocketed. We got on the plane and is was barely half full.
I imagine that is why they have gutted their FF programs, so that they can start selling those seats at a steep discount without coughing up a lot of miles and extra perks to bargain hunters. Needless to say, we won't be following them down that road.

Back