Mailing Fee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I let the guest contact me, unless I have discovered it within 30 minutes of their leaving, and think they may still be in the area.

Then, if contacted, I advise the guest that I can fit their item in one of the three "flat_rate_shipping" boxes. They're supplied by the post office at no charge, and regardless of the weight, it is one price. I know before I go to the po how much the shipping will be, and I charge their card first. So if a charger was left behind, I know it will fit in the smallest box, and it will cost the guest $5.60. If they left some clothing, it may have to go into a large box and the cost is $17.45. I don't have to come up with a box or tape. Label it and drop it off - that's it. For this reason, I don't charge a "handling fee" or charge extra. The PO is on my way to most anything I do daily, so it's a quick trip for me..
Flat rate is only good up to 4 lbs.
Not in a priority flat-rate box. When I used to sell online we used them all the time. Pack it as much as you want, same rate.
Sorry, my mistake it's the envelope that's 4lbs. Box is 20.

First off, I let the guest contact me, unless I have discovered it within 30 minutes of their leaving, and think they may still be in the area.

Then, if contacted, I advise the guest that I can fit their item in one of the three "flat_rate_shipping" boxes. They're supplied by the post office at no charge, and regardless of the weight, it is one price. I know before I go to the po how much the shipping will be, and I charge their card first. So if a charger was left behind, I know it will fit in the smallest box, and it will cost the guest $5.60. If they left some clothing, it may have to go into a large box and the cost is $17.45. I don't have to come up with a box or tape. Label it and drop it off - that's it. For this reason, I don't charge a "handling fee" or charge extra. The PO is on my way to most anything I do daily, so it's a quick trip for me..
Not in a priority flat-rate box. When I used to sell online we used them all the time. Pack it as much as you want, same rate.
Website says 70lb. Though... I don't know how you would get 70lbs of stuff in there.

Website says 70lb. Though... I don't know how you would get 70lbs of stuff in there.
That's what I think to myself every time I carry a suitcase up the stairs!

Small items I just mailed. One guy left a bunch of clothes and I had him send me a pre-paid flat rate box. I must have had a bad week.... ;-)

We had a guy call saying he left his wedding ring on the dresser. We looked on, under, in, around and were about to open the vacuum cleaner. He called again. False alarm. He found it!

HA! Got a check today from an older woman who's hearing aid was left here and I mailed it back ASAP. I'm shocked!.
Only once has anyone reimbursed us for postage when we mail things back. I don't even bother to contact people any more since it always costs us money when they leave things behind. 9 times out of 10 we never hear from them again.

We are mulling it over. The big issue is when things have to go overseas. We do domestic USPS only. Anything else, they would have to cover it. We call then. Sometimes we catch them before they get to far a way. Had a guy come back about ten minutes away for a really nice coat. Glad we caught him. A lot of our guests leave stuff they don't want. Someone just left a down pillow, unopened, that they bought in case we didn't have soft pillows. Someone left a standing fan they bought just in case we did not have a fan.

Back