Mark Your Calendars... We Have a First at Our Inn....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading this at the table while playing a game this evening. I asked the three across from me what they thought "Is it stealing to take a box of tissue from a guest room" I said, like in a hotel...
One said No way! The other said Yes! The third said, and I quote "Only if it was unopened"
To that I laughed, and said "My sentiments exactly!" ha ha and NO, the third was not related to me in any way..
I guess it depends on where you are from. The few that I have asked all said the same thing, did they ask? If they didn't, it's stealing, if they did, it's not. Then again, almost everyone I asked was either from this country or Europe. It may just be cultural. But I think the fact that in all the years of innkeeper no one has ever taken it... is a clear indication that innately people know that it's not theirs to take, especially considering that it was a very special box for the holidays.
Sugar Bear said:
I guess it depends on where you are from. The few that I have asked all said the same thing, did they ask? If they didn't, it's stealing, if they did, it's not. Then again, almost everyone I asked was either from this country or Europe. It may just be cultural. But I think the fact that in all the years of innkeeper no one has ever taken it... is a clear indication that innately people know that it's not theirs to take, especially considering that it was a very special box for the holidays.
I guess the special box made it more noticeable. I think our kleenex had gone missing, most of the time they last forever, so I don't really care. Considering a box of tissue is under a dollar, it doesn't worry me. Your special box was different, I understand that.
Note- I just had to go back to the original subject to see if we are still talking about a box of tissues...okay we are.
shades_smile.gif

Yes, we are talking about a box of tissues. Normally 75c at most. These special boxes were well over $2 each and part of the holiday decor, if you like. Still, almost 2 decades and not one taken and then 3 in a matter of 2 days... but then again it was the members of the same family tree.
Had they asked, I would have given them a box of tissues (not those ones, since they were part of the decor.)
And to be 100% honest, I personally would feel shame if I took a box of tissue or even a roll of toilet paper from a hotel without asking. That's my upbringing, I guess.
Sugar, I think it is the fact that 3 of them walked that got to you. I will say though that I just might have taken a box of tissues (the box not the container if they were in one of those "tissue holders") if I was about to travel and having one of my sneezing or "drippy" days and I knew I have used up the supply in my car.
Some family trees have no limbs.

Strangely, we've had two small soap pumps go missing in the last few weeks. One was New Years eve when friends-of-friends stayed with us after drinking a little too much at the bar we were all at. Luckily, our Inn is walking distance from the bar. But, how could we ask our new friends, who didn't have any bags or anything, if they took our soap? Very odd....
K9 said:
Strangely, we've had two small soap pumps go missing in the last few weeks. One was New Years eve when friends-of-friends stayed with us after drinking a little too much at the bar we were all at. Luckily, our Inn is walking distance from the bar. But, how could we ask our new friends, who didn't have any bags or anything, if they took our soap? Very odd...
Did you charge them for the room? Sounds like an unplanned extension of the party.
No, we didn't charge them. We made it known among our party group that if anyone needed a room by the end of the night, we would let them stay with us. No big deal. The woman is a downtown business owner that wants to hire me to do some bookkeeping for her. And I fully expect to get Inn referrals from her. It's all good...

I was reading this at the table while playing a game this evening. I asked the three across from me what they thought "Is it stealing to take a box of tissue from a guest room" I said, like in a hotel...
One said No way! The other said Yes! The third said, and I quote "Only if it was unopened"
To that I laughed, and said "My sentiments exactly!" ha ha and NO, the third was not related to me in any way..
Sugar Bear said:
I guess the special box made it more noticeable. I think our kleenex had gone missing, most of the time they last forever, so I don't really care. Considering a box of tissue is under a dollar, it doesn't worry me. Your special box was different, I understand that.
Note- I just had to go back to the original subject to see if we are still talking about a box of tissues...okay we are.
shades_smile.gif

Yes, we are talking about a box of tissues. Normally 75c at most. These special boxes were well over $2 each and part of the holiday decor, if you like. Still, almost 2 decades and not one taken and then 3 in a matter of 2 days... but then again it was the members of the same family tree.
Had they asked, I would have given them a box of tissues (not those ones, since they were part of the decor.)
And to be 100% honest, I personally would feel shame if I took a box of tissue or even a roll of toilet paper from a hotel without asking. That's my upbringing, I guess.
Sugar Bear said:
Same family tree? So, sleuthing a bit more, perhaps it was one person in the family who liked them and collected them from the rooms?
You would feel shame....oh Sugar Bear you are making my whole - bloody-friggin'-freezin'-day today!
heart.gif

Remember when: "The Tissue Box Incident of 2013"
[h3]
"THE GREAT TISSUE HEIST OF '13"[/h3]

Sugar Bear said:
shades_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
Same family tree? So, sleuthing a bit more, perhaps it was one person in the family who liked them and collected them from the rooms?
You would feel shame....oh Sugar Bear you are making my whole - bloody-friggin'-freezin'-day today!
heart.gif

Remember when: "The Tissue Box Incident of 2013"
[h3]
"THE GREAT TISSUE HEIST OF '13"[/h3]
I'm being 100% honest... I feel guilty when I take anything that isn't mine.
But, I get very upset when I'm gyped as well.

Back