Marketing Help, Please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome
I see on your website you are linking to area places of things to do ... are they linking back to you as places to stay? They should
I just took a quick look at your rooms page. I really like to see more pictures of the rooms, and what the breakfast area looks like. I'd add more pictures.
really wishing you best of luck.

Make the title pages on your site say more than Rooms at_________ House. I am out there so go to my site www.gillumhouse.com and look at the names on the tabs above the web address - the Page Names. These names pull in searches. I am B & B in West Virginia, etc - each one - including the rooms - has a different title. Put a BOOK NOW in the menu titles. I looked at it quickly - as a potential guest will and almost missed your Book Now/Availability button. These are MY quickie thoughts. Will look deeper later - up to my ears for the next few days.
The others will give better advice on web site - I happen to be the techie numbnutz of the crowd..
I'm not sure how much liberty I have at changing the look of my website. The design company I use is based in Utah. I bought a package deal and this is the format they use for the design I chose. I do have the ability to go in and make adjustments to the text and I can request that they add/change photos, but as for the overall design of the site, I think I have to leave things the way they are. Thank you for your suggestions, however, and I will look into the possiblility of making some changes.
Why did they not use Wordpress??? Strange in this day. And your site is not responsive either. Have you looked at it on a smart phone or tablet.
It looks nice but the fading background is so dark in text area, it makes it a bit hard to read. Can they make it lighter shade. I could barely read it on my tablet.
Would love to see more room photos as well as bathroom. People want to see what they are getting.
Why did they not make your email address active? You should be able to click on it and send you a message. Not user friendly.

Make the title pages on your site say more than Rooms at_________ House. I am out there so go to my site www.gillumhouse.com and look at the names on the tabs above the web address - the Page Names. These names pull in searches. I am B & B in West Virginia, etc - each one - including the rooms - has a different title. Put a BOOK NOW in the menu titles. I looked at it quickly - as a potential guest will and almost missed your Book Now/Availability button. These are MY quickie thoughts. Will look deeper later - up to my ears for the next few days.
The others will give better advice on web site - I happen to be the techie numbnutz of the crowd..
I'm not sure how much liberty I have at changing the look of my website. The design company I use is based in Utah. I bought a package deal and this is the format they use for the design I chose. I do have the ability to go in and make adjustments to the text and I can request that they add/change photos, but as for the overall design of the site, I think I have to leave things the way they are. Thank you for your suggestions, however, and I will look into the possiblility of making some changes.
Why did they not use Wordpress??? Strange in this day. And your site is not responsive either. Have you looked at it on a smart phone or tablet.
It looks nice but the fading background is so dark in text area, it makes it a bit hard to read. Can they make it lighter shade. I could barely read it on my tablet.
Would love to see more room photos as well as bathroom. People want to see what they are getting.
Why did they not make your email address active? You should be able to click on it and send you a message. Not user friendly.
I used a professional bed and breakfast website designer. I liked the look of their sample pages. I have not tried to look at it on a tablet but I can bring it up on my iPhone and enlarge it to read it. I chose the colors of the site. :-( I think the email is active. I have recieved several emails directly from the site. I could add some photos of the bathrooms but they are small and difficult to photograph well. I will think on that.

Please share your website again, so we can take a gander from a guest pov.
(You prob already did and I forgot, sorry) We can see what sort of area you are in, and maybe some will have suggestions for you. Or email me if you don't want to post it out here again.

Page Titles are text. If you cannot make changes, I hate to say it but you got snookered. I know it is not easy to hear as you start out but perhaps it is still salvageable. You should have ID and password to your site. Do you own it - are you the owner of the domain name? Re bathroom photos (or any other room) you do not need to have the entire room in one photo. I took mine - the group shredded them, I went back and took more, less shred, took more and got the OK. I really need to take more this year - the dolls are GONE!!
IF there is anything that can be done - as in the right questions to ask of your web people - you came to the right place. Help is here, it is just up to you to use it or not.

Thanks for sharing it Kate!
The ABOUT US isn't about us... Change the title to history of the house or something if you aren't going to share ABOUT US.
Room rates on the guest room page AND photos
Curiosity makes me ask what is "Adjustable air conditioning"? On your guest room page USE ADJECTIVES! These lines sound like a dorm room check in form:
A guest refrigerator with water and ice is located in the second floor hallway. Carbonated beverages are available upon request.
None of these reasons are overtly off putting in any way, just suggestions. The site is nice, needs photos of the rooms of course. Right now all I see are photos of bed cover pillows.
Have you looked at the availability of OTHER B&B's similar in size and location to your own? Just remember they are established, I know you aren't thinking "If I build it they will come" without all the blood sweat and tears that goes into marketing it right?
If you want to come up better in searches, start blogging. Use your URL and B&B name on every post, as well as city/town area. Blogging is free and you can highlight things to do in your area. For example, you could share the "Top 14 reasons to visit in 2014" and that list may get picked up by media, or google alone to be beneficial. See this THREAD for more on this topic.
PS The reason we ask for the website is that it is NOT about specials or packages. The website is the storefront and it begins there. It can make or break your business. We are here for you!

I used a professional bed and breakfast website designer. I liked the look of their sample pages. I have not tried to look at it on a tablet but I can bring it up on my iPhone and enlarge it to read it. I chose the colors of the site. :-( I think the email is active. I have recieved several emails directly from the site. I could add some photos of the bathrooms but they are small and difficult to photograph well. I will think on that.
Yes you can resize it in your smartphone, but that does not make it responsive. Responsive means it adjusts to fit on its own. The colors are fine but just seems a bit dark to me. My eyes had a hard time reading the text towards the right side of the page due to the darker shading otherwise it's good.

I see that you don't have a google+ business page. Here is a link to a youtube video that will help you create first your personal page, then your business page. This is VERY important to google and costs nothing.
I would suggest you start a blog. Once you have your G+ set up, create a free google blog. Once you get it going, have your webmaster make the url of the blog: blog.nameofyourinn.com When set up this way, google weighs each page of your blog as if it's a page of your website. The more information on your website, the more weight google with give it.
It looks like google maps has no idea who you are. Hopefully once you create your G+ business page it will get you onto google maps..
The option for a blog was included with my design package. I chose not to go that route and do the business FB page instead. I just didn't feel there was that much to talk about in trying to keep up a blog. I felt that with FB I can reach a wider audience and promote area events and attractions. I will definitely look into Google+. I was not aware of that, so thanks very much for the tip.

Just a note about Wordpress. This is becoming the standard because designers find it so easy, not necessarily because it is the best choice. There is a lot to be said about HTML5, CSS, optimization, and how that works with Wordpress. Not really knowin'- just sayin'

I see that you don't have a google+ business page. Here is a link to a youtube video that will help you create first your personal page, then your business page. This is VERY important to google and costs nothing.
I would suggest you start a blog. Once you have your G+ set up, create a free google blog. Once you get it going, have your webmaster make the url of the blog: blog.nameofyourinn.com When set up this way, google weighs each page of your blog as if it's a page of your website. The more information on your website, the more weight google with give it.
It looks like google maps has no idea who you are. Hopefully once you create your G+ business page it will get you onto google maps..
The option for a blog was included with my design package. I chose not to go that route and do the business FB page instead. I just didn't feel there was that much to talk about in trying to keep up a blog. I felt that with FB I can reach a wider audience and promote area events and attractions. I will definitely look into Google+. I was not aware of that, so thanks very much for the tip.
Hi Kate,
I know you're probably feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the info we're giving you. Hang in there. Since you have a start up b&b, there are many, many things to do to get noticed.
FB and blog are not an either/or concept. They both have value and need to be done. Google doesn't care about FB. Whatever you do on FB, generally just stays on FB. Google definitely cares about blogging. At this point you need to do everything in your power to get google to notice you!

KatesCottage161 said:
The option for a blog was included with my design package. I chose not to go that route and do the business FB page instead. I just didn't feel there was that much to talk about in trying to keep up a blog. I felt that with FB I can reach NOT a wider audience and promote area events and attractions. I will definitely look into Google+. I was not aware of that, so thanks very much for the tip.
Actually Facebook won't be reaching many at all,
If you have looked into it you will see the algorithms have changed and you need to pay to promote an article or photo to have something view able by people.
If you were coming on board even a year ago, you would be disappointed in this change back THEN on FB.
If someone wants to click over to FB from your website and see your photos or timeline and info they surely can, but don't think you will be sharing all this great stuff wit your fans. It is not what will happen now. It is no longer free marketing.

Hi Kate,
I know you're probably feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the info we're giving you. Hang in there. Since you have a start up b&b, there are many, many things to do to get noticed.
FB and blog are not an either/or concept. They both have value and need to be done. Google doesn't care about FB. Whatever you do on FB, generally just stays on FB. Google definitely cares about blogging. At this point you need to do everything in your power to get google to notice you!
Okay, got it. Thanks, everyone. I could do a blog, but I surely don't know what I would say there. I used to have a personal blog for my showing my artwork. I shared my paintings with other artists for critiquing and for just sharing. We created a little community and chatted about our work. It took up a lot of time and I lost interest in that and let it go about a year ago. I truly have no idea what I would say on a bed and breakfast blog. Unlike many of you, I do not have a private living space in my B&B. The business is my home and I really don't want to show photos of my personal living space to the general public. Therefore, I only show the guest rooms and the exterior of my house and gardens on FB. And I would never show photos of my guests on social media. Sigh. I'm finding it difficult to live in today's age where nothing is private. I appreciate all the helpful information you have provided and I will give it all much consideration. Thanks, again, Kate

Hi Kate,
Okay, got it. Thanks, everyone. I could do a blog, but I surely don't know what I would say there. I used to have a personal blog for my showing my artwork. I shared my paintings with other artists for critiquing and for just sharing. We created a little community and chatted about our work. It took up a lot of time and I lost interest in that and let it go about a year ago. I truly have no idea what I would say on a bed and breakfast blog. Unlike many of you, I do not have a private living space in my B&B. The business is my home and I really don't want to show photos of my personal living space to the general public. Therefore, I only show the guest rooms and the exterior of my house and gardens on FB. And I would never show photos of my guests on social media. Sigh. I'm finding it difficult to live in today's age where nothing is private. I appreciate all the helpful information you have provided and I will give it all much consideration. Thanks, again, Kate
You don't have to blog, however, if you get the google plus page setup, it will help a lot as far as google is concerned.
So, you want to be found? You blog about what people are searching for. That amusement park, lakes, hiking, shopping, places to eat, state and national parks.
And all of it is connected to your website. You always include your inn name and your town in every blog post.
Someone finds the blog, they find your site.
I'm annoyed that I cannot setup google plus. The links are missing from my page and their help pages don't help. I know it's a major loss to my site to not be able to do this.

Hi Kate,
I actually shared an idea of what to blog. For example. Just a suggestion.
for the record, most of us live IN our businesses. That is the def of a B&B.
don't give up or get overwhelmed, there is a lot of good advice here. :)

There are a couple of general business directory sites that you could list on (free) that might not generate much direct traffic but should help with "link love"
Manta.com (I think google likes this one especially)
Hotfrog.com (we actually got an inquiry through this one that resulted in a booking!)
MerchantCircle.com
Besides TripAdvisor, you could also get listed on Yelp.com and InsiderPages.com
Google+ or at least Google's "Places For Business" (this will get you on the map, so to speak)
Generally, search for your business name, your address, and your phone number, using Google, Bing, and Yahoo (and any other search engines you can find) to see what other places you are already listed, and where-ever possible "claim" these listings and make sure they are correct, up-to-date, and consistent.

Hi Kate,
We live in 2 rooms - space that VERY few get to see. IF we get a guest who is an artist DH has been known to invite into his "inner sanctum" - I close the French door that goes into out bedroom FIRST! My office that is usually a disaster area is even worse at the moment. DH is relegated to a wheelchair so 2 office chairs that are usually in his "studio" are in my office AND since it is band rehearsal season my bari sax case is taking up space AND until Thursday morning, I also have a dog crate we are getting 2 "grandchildren" accustomed to for their flight to Finland. Even in "normal" circumstances I do not want photos of my Library seen. Sunday our son pleased his Father mightily by putting the wheels on the BSA Gold Star racing bike frame that resides between the drawing board and the TV with a path to our bedroom. He even made a stand for it since there is no center stand not any other kind.
EMartinwBSA-Gillum_House.JPG

You really do NEED to have at least one room that is YOURS - no one permitted other than you or your family. A place to hide in. A place to punch pillows and do a whispered primal scream among other things.

id sign up for this site (its free) lots of really good blogging ideas< Linda is doing a new one every day for 30 days at the moment - http://www.fullybookedinn.com/
Also the more you blog you get used to picking up ideas and also depending they will do the work for you ie new food and drink festival 10 miles from me - asked if they have a press release or photo's I can use to promote their event - few quick tweeks and its an article.

Don't forget InnRewards.com, especially if you are using ReservationKey.

You need to put rates on your room pages, most people won't bother contacting you if they can't see how much it will cost immediately. You don't have to put in the exact rate - put in a range: for example one of my rooms says $180 to $245 which allows me to put the rate for each season into my system and I can adjust as I need to. This at least shows the guest the range that they'll be looking at if they were to book so they can know you are reasonably priced.
I looked at your website and you mentioned that maybe guests will come after school gets out because of a local amusement park. Your two rooms aren't very large and each only has a king or queen bed. This isn't conducive to a family visiting so I would suggest you turn your attention to marketing to couples for a romantic weekend. We have tons to do in our area and I list all of those things but I focus on couples because couples come year round whether attractions are closed or not. Everyone has an anniversary and most go away to celebrate that. I would therefore suggest you add in romantic touches such as "Sparkling Cider and Chocolate Truffles Awaiting Your Arrival After Dinner." You can pickup truffles and store them in a cool dry place and cider is easily available at supermarkets. For about $15 you can put these in their room when they go out to dinner with some flickering (battery operated) candles so they return to a romantic room. You'll make some money charting $25-$30 and it's easy to do - guys love booking this because it's easy they don't have to do anything else.
Do you have any money to redecorate the rooms with new comforters and curtains? Relatively inexpensive upgrade and can have wow effect. And if you have any other chair you can pull in rather than the metal one it will look more comfortable. Remember, you have to create an experience for the guests and sitting in a hard metal chair in their room isn't appealing.
I know this is hard to hear but you're going to have to spend some money to make this work. We started brand new and didn't have great photos and lots of marketing money. We struggled the first couple years but I had another job to survive. It wasn't until I spent the money for professional photos $4K in our case for two days of shooting but you can do it for less than half that given your size and then I started pay per click campaigns. Right after posting the new photos the phone started going crazy and we made that money back in a few weeks. They really do help because PEOPLE DON'T READ - they look at photos and envision themselves there.
Don't spend too much time on Facebook - you have to pay now for your posts to be seen; I did a post the other day and have over 1000 people - it only was sent out to about 200. So I do put stuff up occasionally but don't focus on that any more. I recently paid $15 on FB to boost my post for the biggest local attraction with great photos I took there last year and got over 30 new likes and a booking so it can be worth it but be strategic.
Good luck - with so many properties as competition these days you need to be aggressively marketing to get a new place up and going.

We created a goog+ business page. It was odd. If I pulled up our downtown, I could see several restaurants and business names already showing on the map, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get us on there. But it wasn't until I got someone to leave a goog review that we actually showed up on the map. Not sure if that's the only way, but that's what worked for us.

Back