Marmalade Season...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marmalade on toast for breakfast. Yay! It came out fine. Same as berry jam - knock off one cup of sugar.
Another batch in the works. Now I know why marmalade is so expensive. It's not the ingredients (about $6 for 8 pints, which is way cheaper than berry jam!). It's the labor! It's a 3 step process just to cook it down, not even counting the processing of the filled jars.
But, it was fun and one more thing I can say I've done..
Don't double recipes. If you need to, make two separate batches. It takes longer to cook down a double recipe, increases time exponentially.
Remember that you can't just cut sugar, it's the preservative. Add more lemon or cider vinegar instead. Jam needs to be 50% sugar to ensure it doesn't go bad.

Marmalade on toast for breakfast. Yay! It came out fine. Same as berry jam - knock off one cup of sugar.
Another batch in the works. Now I know why marmalade is so expensive. It's not the ingredients (about $6 for 8 pints, which is way cheaper than berry jam!). It's the labor! It's a 3 step process just to cook it down, not even counting the processing of the filled jars.
Don't double recipes. If you need to, make two separate batches. It takes longer to cook down a double recipe, increases time exponentially.
Remember that you can't just cut sugar, it's the preservative. Add more lemon or cider vinegar instead. Jam needs to be 50% sugar to ensure it doesn't go bad.
Nope, I don't double a batch. Had to knock the sugar back it was hurting my teeth to eat the jam.
I got 9 cups of liquid and added 8 cups of sugar. But the actual recipe only called for 6 cups of sugar.

Nope, I don't double a batch. Had to knock the sugar back it was hurting my teeth to eat the jam.
I got 9 cups of liquid and added 8 cups of sugar. But the actual recipe only called for 6 cups of sugar.
Oh, you can add more sugar to a recipe, but you have to have at least that amount. Did you use the recipe that I gave you?

Oh, you can add more sugar to a recipe, but you have to have at least that amount. Did you use the recipe that I gave you?
I used the one in my canning book. I didn't have the brown sugar. Or molasses.

Back