Mattress and Pillow Recommendations - Guest Compliments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I know I have good beds but also get the 4 rating for sleep quality. I figured it out. I only have full size beds. There is nothing I can do about it. If I put queen size beds into my little cottages, there would be no room for anything else :(
That maybe part of your problem as well, LogCabin?.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Hmmm, I know I have good beds but also get the 4 rating for sleep quality. I figured it out. I only have full size beds. There is nothing I can do about it. If I put queen size beds into my little cottages, there would be no room for anything else :(
That maybe part of your problem as well, LogCabin?
Everything we have is Queen size, so that's not likely it, unless they are used to King like I have. I know part of it is the metal bed frames we have, as they are squeaky, and rickety. Reading everything, I think I'm going to focus on new supports / frames, as I want to get rid of those anyway with something that doesn't collect dust bunnies, new toppers (bought one of these for me yesterday to try out) and new pillows (bought some of the Sobel Westex and Ikea ones yesterday to try). We'll see how it goes. Even with new mattresses I need toppers and new pillows.
Let us know how you like the pillows. It is probably time for new ones all around.

I consistently get high ratings for our beds. But I think it's a number of factors.
  • Mattresses are memory foam from Costco. It was the only one I could order from them that could be delivered but they're very comfortable.
  • Bought my cotton sheets from Costco too. Hospitality quality but I love them.
  • I have duvets that have duvet covers that are changed with every guest. I iron them, along with the pillow shams and pillow cases. Guests actually comment on that fact.
  • My bedding is all white. In my case, it puts me in a 'higher' class. Not very common in my part of the woods.
  • Extra pillows and blankets available with a pillow menu.
  • Very quiet where we are.
  • The rooms can be made nice and dark.
I think all those things combined make for a great night's sleep. One guest said that I should supply a crowbar with the rooms so that you can pry yourself out of bed in the mornings!

I consistently get high ratings for our beds. But I think it's a number of factors.
  • Mattresses are memory foam from Costco. It was the only one I could order from them that could be delivered but they're very comfortable.
  • I have duvets that have duvet covers that are changed with every guest. I iron them, along with the pillow shams and pillow cases. Guests actually comment on that fact.
  • My bedding is all white. In my case, it puts me in a 'higher' class. Not very common in my part of the woods.
I think all those things combined make for a great night's sleep. One guest said that I should supply a crowbar with the rooms so that you can pry yourself out of bed in the mornings!.
In the heart of Walmart / Sams here... No Costco for at least 200 miles. :(
My wife is currently against duvet's and I'm on the fence, as the country comforters feel more 'cabin' like, and we have enough that we swap them out each guest.
We iron all the pillow cases and shams, but not the sheets currently, but we've also not had a very wrinkly issue that I can tell. We have been buying high thread count sheets since we've taken over, but have only probably replaced about 20% of the sheets so far. We have thrown out anything tattered, or torn up.
It is hard to get more quiet than in some of our cabins. One of the cabins, the only noise you hear is the refrigerator running if the A/C is off.
I'm really interested in this 'pillow menu'. Don't know how that would work, as once they check in, we leave them alone unless they request service, but I like the idea.
How's the 'all white' with replacement issues?

People say they love my beds. I use duvets and like them just fine because I can wash the covers after each guest. Much prefer that to bedspreads or quilts that don't handle frequent washings so well. Many don't like duvets because it takes time to stuff the duvet back into the cover each time, but I don't have any problem with that.
I put 2 thick and 2 thin pillows on each bed. Got them from Bed Bath and Beyond.
For my beds (all king size) I got a 12" firm mattress, added a 2" memory foam topper, and a 2-1/2" Luxurelle Fiberbed topper* atop that, and zipped all that up in bug/liquid proof enclosures. That finally got the sandwich thick enough that my Comphy sheets fight nice and tight (no wrinkles).
By the way, Log Cabin, I'm appointing you the new Innspiring Arkansas chairman. I'm glad to finally see someone else here from Arkansas, and gladly give you the honor and the $0 paycheck. With as much lodging as there is in Eureka, I can't believe it took this long to get one of you to take over the state flag on this forum!

People say they love my beds. I use duvets and like them just fine because I can wash the covers after each guest. Much prefer that to bedspreads or quilts that don't handle frequent washings so well. Many don't like duvets because it takes time to stuff the duvet back into the cover each time, but I don't have any problem with that.
I put 2 thick and 2 thin pillows on each bed. Got them from Bed Bath and Beyond.
For my beds (all king size) I got a 12" firm mattress, added a 2" memory foam topper, and a 2-1/2" Luxurelle Fiberbed topper* atop that, and zipped all that up in bug/liquid proof enclosures. That finally got the sandwich thick enough that my Comphy sheets fight nice and tight (no wrinkles).
By the way, Log Cabin, I'm appointing you the new Innspiring Arkansas chairman. I'm glad to finally see someone else here from Arkansas, and gladly give you the honor and the $0 paycheck. With as much lodging as there is in Eureka, I can't believe it took this long to get one of you to take over the state flag on this forum!
What do you do when you flip your mattresses? Re-stuff the whole sandwich? Sounds like a chore

Hello All, we purchased our mattresses from Sysco. We are a small inn and they were wonderful to work with. They are double sided pillowtops. We also get our sheets, towels, amenities etc. from them..
Camge said:
Hello All, we purchased our mattresses from Sysco. We are a small inn and they were wonderful to work with. They are double sided pillowtops. We also get our sheets, towels, amenities etc. from them.
I have an account with them, will look into it. Do you get good recommendations on your sheets?

What do you do when you flip your mattresses? Re-stuff the whole sandwich? Sounds like a chore
LogCabinResort said:
They're so firm, I've never flipped them. But if I did, pulling the 2 toppers out and putting them back in would be the easy part. Just unzip the mattress cover and lift them out. Flipping the king size mattress would be a bigger job, at least for one person.

LogCabinResort said:
They're so firm, I've never flipped them. But if I did, pulling the 2 toppers out and putting them back in would be the easy part. Just unzip the mattress cover and lift them out. Flipping the king size mattress would be a bigger job, at least for one person.
Arks said:
LogCabinResort said:
Just invite your buddies over for a flip and a wine

Hello All, we purchased our mattresses from Sysco. We are a small inn and they were wonderful to work with. They are double sided pillowtops. We also get our sheets, towels, amenities etc. from them..
Camge said:
Hello All, we purchased our mattresses from Sysco. We are a small inn and they were wonderful to work with. They are double sided pillowtops. We also get our sheets, towels, amenities etc. from them.
I have an account with them, will look into it. Do you get good recommendations on your sheets?
We do, also on the mattresses. The sheets wash well and do not show wrinkles. I believe they are the conisseur brand.

LogCabinResort said:
Arks said:
LogCabinResort said:
Innkeep said:
As you may guess, my friend, we'd never get around to the flipping!

Camge said:
We do, also on the mattresses. The sheets wash well and do not show wrinkles. I believe they are the conisseur brand.
Camge said:
Believe it or not, I contacted my rep today to see if I could buy just one sheet set before having to buy a 2 dozen minimum.. They are sending me out a free sample!

I think all those things combined make for a great night's sleep. One guest said that I should supply a crowbar with the rooms so that you can pry yourself out of bed in the mornings!.
My wife is currently against duvet's and I'm on the fence, as the country comforters feel more 'cabin' like, and we have enough that we swap them out each guest.
We iron all the pillow cases and shams, but not the sheets currently, but we've also not had a very wrinkly issue that I can tell. We have been buying high thread count sheets since we've taken over, but have only probably replaced about 20% of the sheets so far. We have thrown out anything tattered, or torn up.
It is hard to get more quiet than in some of our cabins. One of the cabins, the only noise you hear is the refrigerator running if the A/C is off.
I'm really interested in this 'pillow menu'. Don't know how that would work, as once they check in, we leave them alone unless they request service, but I like the idea.
I have the luxury of only four rooms, so I can easily change up the pillows. I put firm on them for everyday and I have medium and soft to switch to for them, although my shams are soft and they're almost identical to my pillow cases so most guests will just use a combination of the both. My SIL, who travels quite a bit, says some hotels will tie sets together with a small card attached to them to let the guests know what they are (firm,med. soft). That might work for you. At least you know that if they're still tied up, you don't need to switch the pillowcases. As for the white bedding, no issues so far. I give a quick check of the bedding in case of any spots, pretreat those, and use oxy in all my washes. Very rarely do I need to do a second wash on anything. Usually it's because I've rushed through it and missed something. I know you have cabins but white looks very spa-like and looks hygienic. Plus, people associate white bedding with five-star hotels and there's nothing wrong with bringing yourself up a notch. More than one guest has said that I've 'raised the bar' for the B&Bs in the area.

I have the luxury of only four rooms, so I can easily change up the pillows. I put firm on them for everyday and I have medium and soft to switch to for them, although my shams are soft and they're almost identical to my pillow cases so most guests will just use a combination of the both. My SIL, who travels quite a bit, says some hotels will tie sets together with a small card attached to them to let the guests know what they are (firm,med. soft). That might work for you. At least you know that if they're still tied up, you don't need to switch the pillowcases. As for the white bedding, no issues so far. I give a quick check of the bedding in case of any spots, pretreat those, and use oxy in all my washes. Very rarely do I need to do a second wash on anything. Usually it's because I've rushed through it and missed something. I know you have cabins but white looks very spa-like and looks hygienic. Plus, people associate white bedding with five-star hotels and there's nothing wrong with bringing yourself up a notch. More than one guest has said that I've 'raised the bar' for the B&Bs in the area.
2cat_lady said:
2CL I will pay you to break up your paragraph... I would hate to not read it but I can't, I can't read a big paragraph...not online anyway.
shades_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
2CL I will pay you to break up your paragraph... I would hate to not read it but I can't, I can't read a big paragraph...not online anyway.
shades_smile.gif

Noted.
Sorry, I hate when the boxes get smaller with each reply.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Everything we have is Queen size, so that's not likely it, unless they are used to King like I have. I know part of it is the metal bed frames we have, as they are squeaky, and rickety. Reading everything, I think I'm going to focus on new supports / frames, as I want to get rid of those anyway with something that doesn't collect dust bunnies, new toppers (bought one of these for me yesterday to try out) and new pillows (bought some of the Sobel Westex and Ikea ones yesterday to try). We'll see how it goes. Even with new mattresses I need toppers and new pillows.
Yes. Get rid of the squeak. New frames will help that. Whatever kind you decide on.
Morticia said:
Yes. Get rid of the squeak. New frames will help that. Whatever kind you decide on.
Just ordered one of these. Thinking if I like it, I'll mount just a headboard to it, and locktite all of the nuts/bolts to keep it from squeeking.

2cat_lady said:
shades_smile.gif

Noted.
2cat_lady said:
Noted.
You can change that. It's a setting. You have to set how you want to view the posts.
Bottom of the list of posts in a thread. There are several options for viewing comments.
I set mine for flat list - expanded. And view newest first. Then save the settings.
It's harder to follow if there are a lot of responses to one comment but the legibility is much better as the boxes don't shrink.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Morticia said:
Just ordered one of these. Thinking if I like it, I'll mount just a headboard to it, and locktite all of the nuts/bolts to keep it from squeeking.
LogCabinResort said:
Morticia said:
Loctite. Hmmmm. I need something. I have a few squeakers.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Morticia said:
LogCabinResort said:
Morticia said:
Loctite. Hmmmm. I need something. I have a few squeakers.
Don't look for it on this side of the border, they don't sell it here. Though Locktite is Lepage around here.
But ask Gomez about this product. Not the greatest name. Then again, you might want to ask him why having this around here would give everyone chuckles...
lf-lacr-ec.jpg

See http://www.cbc.ca/news/gm-faces-car-name-conundrum-1.775246

Local is good for mattresses. Generally they will help out with problems. Always cover the mattress entirely with some sort of shield against bugs and moisture.
Pillows - best pillows ever are from a place in Vegas. Sobel Westex. Sahara nights. Seriously. I hate hotel pillows but these are wonderful. Going to contact them in a few months to see how much the direct price is.
But Jon is right. You can rarely please enough guests on the sleep aspect. I'd worry if you were getting specific complaints about lumps or whatever. It could be something other than the bed, too. Too bright, too noisy, too hot, too cold, whatever. If you have guests you can ask, that's the way to go..
Morticia said:
Pillows - best pillows ever are from a place in Vegas. Sobel Westex. Sahara nights. Seriously. I hate hotel pillows but these are wonderful. Going to contact them in a few months to see how much the direct price is.
Just got these in the mail today... OMG. These are awesome. Need to wash / sleep on them, but the initial feeling is I would absolutely have bought these had I felt them in the store.
I also have a 20% off coupon that came in the email today. Today only FEBSALE20

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Morticia said:
Looks like a cool product. My concern would be that it's a pretty low bed. I just measured ours and the top mattress starts at 17" from the floor and this product puts it at 14".

Back