Midnight

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Got a call at 12:30AM last night from X. Someone wants to get out of a reservation. Reservation is non-refundable. They chose a cheaper non-refundable rate.

I have two rates with X, one is a 100% first night deposit, 7 days non-refundable. The other is a slightly lower non-refundable rate. Well, you take the lower non-refundable rate and then want to cancel and hope that we will be forgiving... do you do it at 12:30AM? NO. So when X called and asked and I said "NO" do you think it should be a surprise when you decide to do it at 12:30AM?!?!?!

On a direct reservation, they would have been in for only a partial charge and maybe a deal if I could resell... but you bought a non-refundable rate from an OTA... it's gonna cost you. And it did. So now, I have 7 days back in my calendar to sell and double-dip.

thumbs_up.gif
an I hope you will re-sell it with higher rate

wow. so they really don't believe that non refundable actually means non refundable.
sad_smile.gif

wow. so they really don't believe that non refundable actually means non refundable.
sad_smile.gif
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
You won't believe how many people don't get that non-refundable is really non-refundable. Truth is, I prefer giving back a "little" bit. Otherwise, they could just not show and leave the room empty. And you can't fill it, because they can show up at any time to use the room. But if you call after midnight... you sort of asking for a NO.

sad_smile.gif
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
You won't believe how many people don't get that non-refundable is really non-refundable. Truth is, I prefer giving back a "little" bit. Otherwise, they could just not show and leave the room empty. And you can't fill it, because they can show up at any time to use the room. But if you call after midnight... you sort of asking for a NO.
Generic said:
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
Great idea. Give back a little, so the reservation is cancelled and you can open it up to someone else.

sad_smile.gif
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
Generic said:
seashanty said:
sad_smile.gif
Great idea. Give back a little, so the reservation is cancelled and you can open it up to someone else.
It's the reason that I compromise on some reservations. But not all. But when it's after midnight... really? You want compromise when I'm drowsy and asleep?

how do you refund part of it and put it back in as bookable?.
On RK, MA or X/BK?
For RK, I mark it as cancelled, mark the fee in and it's available.
For MA, it does it automatically based on RK
For X/BK, I usually tell them that I will accept something like 50%, to figure it out and put it back into inventory within 60 minutes or the deal is off. They mark it cancelled on their side, have to give you a new virtual card for the amount, but it's back into MA within an hour and available back on the net. The last one I had to contact my manager at X to get the new virtual card. Customer usually agrees, half is better than nothing back.

For direct reservations, I usually give back a GC for about 90% of what I resell, that is good for up to a year. NEVER give back 100% because they can then claim that it's a related and should be moniable.

Back