Monte Cristo recipe?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It made me wonder how it would do as black forest ham, Gruyere, on my herb bread (sage, parsley, with a bit of nutmeg - with or without caraway)..
gillumhouse said:
It made me wonder how it would do as black forest ham, Gruyere, on my herb bread (sage, parsley, with a bit of nutmeg - with or without caraway).
We look forward to finding out O Great Chef and Baker Gillum
TA-DA - and the answer is: It tastes great. I did not put jelly on it but it was good. Had to use baby Swiss as the local grocery deli did not have Gruyere so I will have to try again with that next time I go to the grocery in "Snootytown" (they will have it at that store but not at the branch downtown in the bags & rags part of town. Next time I will use honey mustard.
The sage/nutmeg/parsley with the caraway made it nicely savory and the mayo balanced the mustard (something I am not a fan of). I may use this to go with ham/egg cups for the next guests..
gillumhouse said:
TA-DA - and the answer is: It tastes great. I did not put jelly on it but it was good. Had to use baby Swiss as the local grocery deli did not have Gruyere so I will have to try again with that next time I go to the grocery in "Snootytown" (they will have it at that store but not at the branch downtown in the bags & rags part of town. Next time I will use honey mustard.
The sage/nutmeg/parsley with the caraway made it nicely savory and the mayo balanced the mustard (something I am not a fan of). I may use this to go with ham/egg cups for the next guests..
Sound wonderful Gillum
But the strawberry jam is part of the scheme (and not jelly or other flavors, not mayo!). Otherwise it becomes a sandwich, vs a breakfast dish. (From my POV) serve it with diced fried potatoes (or whatever fancy word you want to use for them that I see on the food network now "Pommes Pont Neuf" or homefries for the locals)
I will add: Here comes Jonno...
shades_smile.gif
for the correctness of the terms. Just call them fried tators Jonno!
Update revisited: Had to make herb bread for sandwiches for guests Wednesday. Had purchased some Gruyere for the retry (@ $9 for a half pound ON SALE) so they got that on their sandwiches. Had some left so did a retry today. As usual Himself says, "I will just try a bit of yours" And I did crack open a jar of strawberry jam and put on it. Initial reaction from his Lordship was that it was too sweet. Requested one without the jam. He actually admitted it was better with the jam.
I will make them again with the herb bread but I will omit the caraway and at $20 per pound, I will use a baby Swiss instead of the Gruyere and will put the jam on the side (I liked it with the jam). It had a sweet and tang to it.

It made me wonder how it would do as black forest ham, Gruyere, on my herb bread (sage, parsley, with a bit of nutmeg - with or without caraway)..
gillumhouse said:
It made me wonder how it would do as black forest ham, Gruyere, on my herb bread (sage, parsley, with a bit of nutmeg - with or without caraway).
gillumhouse said:
Sound wonderful Gillum
But the strawberry jam is part of the scheme (and not jelly or other flavors, not mayo!). Otherwise it becomes a sandwich, vs a breakfast dish. (From my POV) serve it with diced fried potatoes (or whatever fancy word you want to use for them that I see on the food network now "Pommes Pont Neuf" or homefries for the locals)
shades_smile.gif
Update revisited: Had to make herb bread for sandwiches for guests Wednesday. Had purchased some Gruyere for the retry (@ $9 for a half pound ON SALE) so they got that on their sandwiches. Had some left so did a retry today. As usual Himself says, "I will just try a bit of yours" And I did crack open a jar of strawberry jam and put on it. Initial reaction from his Lordship was that it was too sweet. Requested one without the jam. He actually admitted it was better with the jam.
I will make them again with the herb bread but I will omit the caraway and at $20 per pound, I will use a baby Swiss instead of the Gruyere and will put the jam on the side (I liked it with the jam). It had a sweet and tang to it.
If his "lordship" finds the strawberry jam too sweet, add a little balsamic vinegar to it, it should cut the sweetness and brighten the fruit. You can also add lemon juice but it's not the same :)

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Sound wonderful Gillum
shades_smile.gif
If his "lordship" finds the strawberry jam too sweet, add a little balsamic vinegar to it, it should cut the sweetness and brighten the fruit. You can also add lemon juice but it's not the same :)
A;ways hve balsamic on hand. HE does not count. It will be the guests who decide things.
When you do not eat sweet foods normally, a little is a lot.

A monte cristo without the jam is like serving a BLT with out the B, or the L or the T. :)

A monte cristo without the jam is like serving a BLT with out the B, or the L or the T. :).
I now know what you mean - and you are correct. And i DID work with the herb bread. The zing of the herbs blended with the sweet nicely - at least it did for me. But we do know I am weird.

Back