More THEN... and NOW

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then - I always used recipes. My heart rate went up when I scrambled eggs. I had never fried an egg or made an omelet.
Now - I can go off the beaten track food-wise. I have learned how to adulterate pancake batter. For example, a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was waxing poetic about a brand of buttermilk pancake mix he buys to do his monthly church pancake breakfasts. He even went as far as giving me a whole box (4x the size of one from the grocery store). It's the kind you just add water to. My taste test was just barely meh.
I didn't want it to go to waste (nor did I want it to go to my waist) so I experimented. (Jon, stop reading immediately) It turns out that by adding enough water to make it thin like crepe batter, it actually makes very decent crepes. Then this morning I got a call at 7:15 am from someone wanting to make a reservation, so I ended up turning off the stove to get her taken care of, and the batter I had cooking at the time ended up being perfectly done when I got back to the kitchen. So, I have added that step to my own personal crepe manufacturing, along with stacking the crepes with waxed paper between and putting in a warm oven to wait for assembly.
The current guests are vegetarians, and staying for 5 nights, so I'm adding stuff off the beaten track. Tomorrow it's fried mush (which the cognoscenti will call polenta) topped with braised tomato, avocado and asparagus, a mushroom and swiss cheese omelet and locally grown strawberries.
The next day I'm going to try eggs florentine. I'm really getting brave because I have never poached an egg. I have, however purchased a device which pokes a hole in egg shells after reading our poached egg thread. I figure if the poached eggs are a disaster, they can always have fried eggs instead, cause I now know how to fry eggs.
egg.jpg

(half photo, you get the general idea)
breakfast.jpg.jpg

And here's today's Crepe a la Innkeep.
Innkeep said:
I didn't want it to go to waste (nor did I want it to go to my waist) so I experimented. (Jon, stop reading immediately) It turns out that by adding enough water to make it thin like crepe batter, it actually makes very decent crepes. Then this morning I got a call at 7:15 am from someone wanting to make a reservation, so I ended up turning off the stove to get her taken care of, and the batter I had cooking at the time ended up being perfectly done when I got back to the kitchen. So, I have added that step to my own personal crepe manufacturing, along with stacking the crepes with waxed paper between and putting in a warm oven to wait for assembly
breakfast.jpg.jpg

And here's today's Crepe a la Innkeep
Innkeep, curious. What did you put in those crepes? I'd like to try and put in the sweet rotation of pancakes and french toast. It looks good. I'd add probably a couple of sausages on the side.

Then - I always used recipes. My heart rate went up when I scrambled eggs. I had never fried an egg or made an omelet.
Now - I can go off the beaten track food-wise. I have learned how to adulterate pancake batter. For example, a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was waxing poetic about a brand of buttermilk pancake mix he buys to do his monthly church pancake breakfasts. He even went as far as giving me a whole box (4x the size of one from the grocery store). It's the kind you just add water to. My taste test was just barely meh.
I didn't want it to go to waste (nor did I want it to go to my waist) so I experimented. (Jon, stop reading immediately) It turns out that by adding enough water to make it thin like crepe batter, it actually makes very decent crepes. Then this morning I got a call at 7:15 am from someone wanting to make a reservation, so I ended up turning off the stove to get her taken care of, and the batter I had cooking at the time ended up being perfectly done when I got back to the kitchen. So, I have added that step to my own personal crepe manufacturing, along with stacking the crepes with waxed paper between and putting in a warm oven to wait for assembly.
The current guests are vegetarians, and staying for 5 nights, so I'm adding stuff off the beaten track. Tomorrow it's fried mush (which the cognoscenti will call polenta) topped with braised tomato, avocado and asparagus, a mushroom and swiss cheese omelet and locally grown strawberries.
The next day I'm going to try eggs florentine. I'm really getting brave because I have never poached an egg. I have, however purchased a device which pokes a hole in egg shells after reading our poached egg thread. I figure if the poached eggs are a disaster, they can always have fried eggs instead, cause I now know how to fry eggs.
egg.jpg

breakfast.jpg.jpg

Innkeep said:
I didn't want it to go to waste (nor did I want it to go to my waist) so I experimented. (Jon, stop reading immediately) It turns out that by adding enough water to make it thin like crepe batter, it actually makes very decent crepes. Then this morning I got a call at 7:15 am from someone wanting to make a reservation, so I ended up turning off the stove to get her taken care of, and the batter I had cooking at the time ended up being perfectly done when I got back to the kitchen. So, I have added that step to my own personal crepe manufacturing, along with stacking the crepes with waxed paper between and putting in a warm oven to wait for assembly
breakfast.jpg.jpg

Innkeep, curious. What did you put in those crepes? I'd like to try and put in the sweet rotation of pancakes and french toast. It looks good. I'd add probably a couple of sausages on the side.
You can put just about anything in a crepe
fruit, jam, a cream cheese mixture with fruit or jam
nutella is the best

egg.jpg

breakfast.jpg.jpg

Innkeep said:
breakfast.jpg.jpg

The crepes were spread with a mixture of cream cheese and lemon curd, nuked in microwave so they could be mixed. I ate one left over. Not bad with the raspberry sauce.

egg.jpg

breakfast.jpg.jpg

Innkeep said:
I have, however purchased a device which pokes a hole in egg shells...
PPP_CGENE_LT3_PushPin.jpg

For heaven's sake. I was in a store yesterday, and they were selling a mango slicer!
Although I admit to getting the breakfast sandwich maker...
What's next, a cherry pitter? One too many people has been on Shark Tank (or Kickstarter?) with their can't miss invention, I guess...
Cherry pitter is 10x faster than hand - very useful. I'll say garlic peeler is useless: lightly smush clove with flat of knife blade and pull apart.

Then: jam in fancy glass antique jam pots. Used once for each guest. Hand wash each time and then also polish silver lids.
Now: jam in mini ramekins on a small plate with silver spoon. MUCH easier.

Then: jam in fancy glass antique jam pots. Used once for each guest. Hand wash each time and then also polish silver lids.
Now: jam in mini ramekins on a small plate with silver spoon. MUCH easier..
Skamokawa said:
I like the spoon idea!

Skamokawa said:
I like the spoon idea!
If you don't want the spoons to move, get demi-tasse spoons or oddly short or long spoons. They won't mistake them for teaspoons as often.

Skamokawa said:
I like the spoon idea!
If you don't want the spoons to move, get demi-tasse spoons or oddly short or long spoons. They won't mistake them for teaspoons as often.
I have the tiny spoons that came with the dessert cups. Perfect for jam. Silly for dessert.

Skamokawa said:
I like the spoon idea!
yes, smaller than dessert spoons. Best idea for jam yet. More people now use it on their toast. :)

Skamokawa said:
I like the spoon idea!
yes, smaller than dessert spoons. Best idea for jam yet. More people now use it on their toast. :)
Skamokawa said:
I dug them out of the box today. Will hopefully remember them tomorrow!

Then, open kitchen doorway. No door installed. Scrambling to get everything just right before guests finished with breakfast ask, "can I just peek at the kitchen?" that, and 'looking for ice", or what have you.
Now: Locked kitchen door. Always closed when guests in residence.

Then - 3 with shared Now - 1 private ensuite and 2 share
Then - 1 Queen, 2 full-size beds Now - 1 king, 2 queens
Those are the major changes. It is so long ago that I really do not remember what else we did differently. We added the stabling, we added bicycles, we added turn-by-turn routes, we added elopements...

Then, open kitchen doorway. No door installed. Scrambling to get everything just right before guests finished with breakfast ask, "can I just peek at the kitchen?" that, and 'looking for ice", or what have you.
Now: Locked kitchen door. Always closed when guests in residence..
totally agree with locking kitchen Also plan to lock owners quarters and laundry room.
On there other hand, there are fire codes dealing with internally locked doors(learned the hard way as a landlord), so good to check with local fire officials.

totally agree with locking kitchen Also plan to lock owners quarters and laundry room.
On there other hand, there are fire codes dealing with internally locked doors(learned the hard way as a landlord), so good to check with local fire officials.
in the UK you are allowed to lock as long as it is a Yale ie if you were running in a panic out of the building in a rush and in the dark the route you would run must flow with no keys ie if a guest ran out of their room down the stairs and out - there would be no obstacles out that required a key.

in the UK you are allowed to lock as long as it is a Yale ie if you were running in a panic out of the building in a rush and in the dark the route you would run must flow with no keys ie if a guest ran out of their room down the stairs and out - there would be no obstacles out that required a key.
That is the beauty of my 100+ year old front door. It is locked to the outside but inside can turn the knob and get out (that is why we hid the key - if locked with key it is LOCKED).

That is the beauty of my 100+ year old front door. It is locked to the outside but inside can turn the knob and get out (that is why we hid the key - if locked with key it is LOCKED).
All of guestroom doors are like that. They open from the inside even when locked outside. Which explains why so many guests lock themselves out at breakfast.

Back