My first guest is not as wonderful as I had hoped :(

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, ok... I'm not sure if its a good thing or not that so many of you could find me..? So I guess I need to change my screen name on here so I'm not so "out in the open"!
And it's interesting that so many of you say I should increase the rates. I did research other rates in the area, and I know they are all considerably higher than me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out exactly "what" I am... With only one room, I think it's hard to call myself a true B&B and charge those sorts of rates. I know that what I currently have is more along the lines of a homestay. But I don't want it to be a typical homestay- I want guests to feel pampered and well taken care of, like they would at a classy B&B... I figured that I would be lucky just to get 4-5 nights per month. So, I priced low to see what would happen... I've been really surprised at the reservations I've gotten so far. At this point, honestly, I'm not really in this for the money (although a little extra cash never hurts anyone...)- it truly is meant to be a learning opportunity and the chance to meet and interact with some interesting people from around the world. But I definitely understand what you guys have said- charging too low can bring the wrong crowd and make others wonder what's wrong with the place!! I will definitely consider this!
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!.
Jsenocak said:
And it's interesting that so many of you say I should increase the rates. I did research other rates in the area, and I know they are all considerably higher than me. I guess I'm still trying to figure out exactly "what" I am... With only one room, I think it's hard to call myself a true B&B and charge those sorts of rates. I know that what I currently have is more along the lines of a homestay. But I don't want it to be a typical homestay- I want guests to feel pampered and well taken care of, like they would at a classy B&B... I figured that I would be lucky just to get 4-5 nights per month. So, I priced low to see what would happen... I've been really surprised at the reservations I've gotten so far. At this point, honestly, I'm not really in this for the money (although a little extra cash never hurts anyone...)- it truly is meant to be a learning opportunity and the chance to meet and interact with some interesting people from around the world. But I definitely understand what you guys have said- charging too low can bring the wrong crowd and make others wonder what's wrong with the place!! I will definitely consider this!
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!
I just paid more for lunch than a one night stay with you (before the tip!), and you include a nice homemade breakfast! And I am near Roanoke VA, so things aren't super high here at all! That should tell you something.
You don't look like a homestay. I think you are a homestay, but you don;t look like one! You have a professional website, easy way to book a stay, amenities list, etc etc. You also provide breakfast included, so to me you are a B&B. For licensing purposes, you may want to remain a homestay for the time being. :)
Not in it for the money, just the strife, aye? Raise your rate, you will get some pretty bad guests here on forward...this is not ME saying this, this is a collective voice of innkeepers here, experienced innkeepers, and we NEVER AGREE ON ANYTHING!
thumbs_up.gif

There have been other one and two room B&B's here who do quite well and love what they do. So don't worry about that! It's not the size of the dog...and all that.
(We are smart, we can find anyone)

Haha, ok... I'm not sure if its a good thing or not that so many of you could find me..? So I guess I need to change my screen name on here so I'm not so "out in the open"!
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!.
Jsenocak said:
Thanks so much everyone! I admit I was a little afraid to post on here at first- I was afraid all the "real" innkeepers would laugh me off the boards for having a one-room place! ;) but you guys definitely have a lot of great knowledge and advice, and this is a wonderful resource for an aspiring innkeeper like me!
Awww, we're not so scary.
devil_smile.gif
It's not the number of rooms that makes you an innkeeper, it's professionalism. It sure seems like you've done some homework, spent $ on your website and are approaching innkeeping with high standards. Congrats!
So, when you call yourself a 'homestay', does that mean that the guest shares common space (living room, etc.) with you? How much is private guest area and how much is shared?
Thanks :) I think high standards are important. I am constantly asking myself what I would want and expect if I was choosing a place to stay- and I'm extremely picky!
The private space is the guest room (obviously...) and the full bath. The shared space includes the living room, dining room, office (desk space and printing/fax use), and I also allow some shared use of the kitchen for guests (fridge, microwave, etc...). I consider a homestay to be a small place- one or two guest rooms, that is mostly geared towards international and student travelers and also can accommodate longer stays, and is often more focused on cultural exchange than your average inn or hotel. I like this aspect because we're an international family ourselves!
Jsenocak said:
Thanks :) I think high standards are important. I am constantly asking myself what I would want and expect if I was choosing a place to stay- and I'm extremely picky!
The private space is the guest room (obviously...) and the full bath. The shared space includes the living room, dining room, office (desk space and printing/fax use), and I also allow some shared use of the kitchen for guests (fridge, microwave, etc...). I consider a homestay to be a small place- one or two guest rooms, that is mostly geared towards international and student travelers and also can accommodate longer stays, and is often more focused on cultural exchange than your average inn or hotel. I like this aspect because we're an international family ourselves!
May I make this suggestion?
Make the rate on a scale, so if they are staying like in a homestay they can pay less per night overall, if it is one night, two night, etc charge more! Also, consider the amenities and what they WILL USE - which is now the opposite, the longer they stay the more they will use, but would be more of a homestay atmosphere.
Here is a one room B&B, $130 per night, and 10% discount for longer stays...
thehillsbandb.com/?page_id=93

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I think I will definitely reconsider the timeframe I'm offering for breakfast. I had to laugh when I read that even McDonalds stops serving breakfast at 10! And I like the idea of a form too. Right now I have only one room, but we have plans to expand in a year or two. We figured we would give it a shot and learn the hard lessons now before sinking a lot of money and time into it. It has been my dream since high school to have a classy B&B, so I'm excited to be on the path now! It's a little discouraging that my first guest was a bit troublesome, but I know they won't all be this way. The first phone reservation I took, we talked for nearly 30 minutes like we were old friends. I've already had interactions with some really fantastic people that I really look forward to meeting. And we've received reservations from people from 3 different countries! Awesome!
So here's the update: He showed up this morning- about 5 minutes late but I'll take what I can get with this guy! :) He seemed to love the breakfast and we had a nice conversation/philosophical debate on what's good and bad about America... I am not one to talk with strangers about my own political and ideological beliefs and opinions, so it was awkward... He just kept pushing and pushing it. I just tried to smile, nod and change the subject. How do you guys typically respond to guests that want to talk politics?.
Sorry politics and religion are 2 topics we don't discuss at the breakfast table...or here for that matter:)

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
It's not the number of rooms that makes you an innkeeper, it's professionalism. It sure seems like you've done some homework, spent $ on your website and are approaching innkeeping with high standards. Congrats!
So, when you call yourself a 'homestay', does that mean that the guest shares common space (living room, etc.) with you? How much is private guest area and how much is shared?
Jsenocak said:
Make the rate on a scale, so if they are staying like in a homestay they can pay less per night overall, if it is one night, two night, etc charge more! Also, consider the amenities and what they WILL USE - which is now the opposite, the longer they stay the more they will use, but would be more of a homestay atmosphere.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jsenocak said:
Yes, good idea JB. Also, after looking at your website, I noticed you openly mention use of your kitchen. Make sure to be clear as to WHAT they have use of or you will have them taking over the kitchen & leaving it is disarray. If you allow them to cook, what about YOUR cooking? You may have thought all this through!
One other thing about kitchen use, but also this concept in general is INS. Does your ins. cover PAID stays? Most homeowner's ins will not cover incidents if they find the place is being used to board guests. This includes injury or property damage...

You may be learning but you may as well get paid for it! Yes, it's a homestay. Yes, the bathroom is outside the room. Yes, you are just starting out. So what! If you like this and decide to add 2-3 more rooms are you really going to jump rates by $100/night at that point? Nope. You won't. You'll fret about your lovely repeat guests.
If you checked around and you are charging 50-100% less than places in the area, you will get tire kickers who want to know what's wrong. Is that view REALLY from your property or did you photoshop it in? It has to be a couple of stale donuts for breakfast for that price. That sort of thing. Think about traveling...do you really trust that the really underpriced place is keeping things up to snuff?
Where I am there are 10 smaller B&B's in a few city blocks. If someone doesn't like my price (3.5x yours) and I send them to a place that is 2.5x more than you charge, they ask me what's wrong. Why is that place so much less?
Second business lesson- pay yourself what you're worth.

OK, I am a dim bulb - I have no clue where you are or what your rates are but if this group says they are too low - BANK ON IT!!
I work hard and I want paid for it. My insurance, marketing, supplies, TAXES, the rates charged by the Directories do not give a rat's about my size or costs. I have my posted rates but I also have from time-to-time given a weekly rated that is very reduced with just juice & coffee for breakfast if they were going to be "clean" - meaning no pipeline guys who will track in mud and other undesirable things. My son is a pipeline welder (he builds the high pressure filling stations and pipelines) and he admits he is not the norm because he neither drinks nor smokes but he looks for CHEAP, reasonably clean, bed, bath, and a TV a plus. It sounds like your rates will fit their criteria - and you do not want them!
It is your place, but I would not allow anyone in my kitchen for several reasons - health dept, knives cut, and above all MESS. Put a dorm fridge and nuker where they can get it if you want to be that nice. I just agreed to a student intern for 11 weeks - fridge & nuker upstairs and we may invite him to soup & bread with us, but not in my kitchen.

I found you very easily with a single click! So, good that you changed your user name now. :)
I know exactly where you are. I will actually be in that larger city on the water North of you this weekend. Will be celebrating St. Paddy's Day! ;-)
I agree with the others...even with the detached but private bath, increase your rates and then you can "discount" for the longer stays. Also, I forgot about the bagged breakfast that I also did for folks needing to leave early. I popped it in their guest fridge the night before with a "love" note inside.
No way, no how would I share my kitchen with guests (and it was not allowed by our health department), but that is just me. Don't know if you have space for some kind of a minimal guest service area for coffee, microwave, and mini fridge. Something for you to think about!
Have fun and welcome to the forum! Lots of help and ideas here....

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I think I will definitely reconsider the timeframe I'm offering for breakfast. I had to laugh when I read that even McDonalds stops serving breakfast at 10! And I like the idea of a form too. Right now I have only one room, but we have plans to expand in a year or two. We figured we would give it a shot and learn the hard lessons now before sinking a lot of money and time into it. It has been my dream since high school to have a classy B&B, so I'm excited to be on the path now! It's a little discouraging that my first guest was a bit troublesome, but I know they won't all be this way. The first phone reservation I took, we talked for nearly 30 minutes like we were old friends. I've already had interactions with some really fantastic people that I really look forward to meeting. And we've received reservations from people from 3 different countries! Awesome!
So here's the update: He showed up this morning- about 5 minutes late but I'll take what I can get with this guy! :) He seemed to love the breakfast and we had a nice conversation/philosophical debate on what's good and bad about America... I am not one to talk with strangers about my own political and ideological beliefs and opinions, so it was awkward... He just kept pushing and pushing it. I just tried to smile, nod and change the subject. How do you guys typically respond to guests that want to talk politics?.
I did not discuss religion or politics with the guests for several reasons. It can get to be pretty heated and it was not part of my job. There are an abundance of other topics out there for general conversation. After seeing a guest who was quite overwhelmed by the discussion from the rest of the folks at the breakfast table during one of the election cycles, and diverting the direction of the conversation, I knew that I made the right choice. :)

We do talk some politics, but we aren't in the same situation as you, being in a foreign country people want to know something about our politics here. We avoid talking about American politics like the plague.... the rest of the world's politics and views are VERY different.

We do talk some politics, but we aren't in the same situation as you, being in a foreign country people want to know something about our politics here. We avoid talking about American politics like the plague.... the rest of the world's politics and views are VERY different.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
and this is why we don't do it here either.

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
Looked at your photos and I would also be confused about the water views. Is that your view from your front porch? I'm asking because that can be very important to folks visiting that area and you don't want them to be disappointed. Is there a place where folks with boats can tie up near you?
Also, I would put on your site where folks can get the favorite food from the water in your area (during the season). I know that I will be partaking of it when I am there next week! ;-)

I learned back in MIDDLE school that conversation involving politics or religion can end friendships.... In this area, many people feel VERY strongly one way or another (including me...), so I try to avoid all conversations on the matter completely! Once in my previous career, I watched in horror as a more senior co-worker went off about her strong partisan political beliefs in front of a client. I expected blood- thankfully the client felt the exact way she did so no harm was done. But I lost tons of respect for her- so unprofessional...

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
Looked at your photos and I would also be confused about the water views. Is that your view from your front porch? I'm asking because that can be very important to folks visiting that area and you don't want them to be disappointed. Is there a place where folks with boats can tie up near you?
Also, I would put on your site where folks can get the favorite food from the water in your area (during the season). I know that I will be partaking of it when I am there next week! ;-)
No, that's not the view from our house- it's just right up the street- two blocks away. I have written in the text that the house is located 2 blocks from the Chesapeake and tried to make that totally apparent... those of you who have seen the site- what do you think? Is it not clear enough? I definitely don't want to give that impression to people that it's a waterfront property, but I did want to show pictures of the beautiful bay. It's definitely a great part of our location. We might not be RIGHT on the water, but it's very close and guests can easily walk up there and enjoy the water anytime.
Sam, if you would like to come by while you're in the area, you're more than welcome to! :) I'll treat you to cookies and tea!
And yes, I'm actually currently working on putting together a "guidebook" for the local restaurants, shopping, sites, etc...!

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
No, that's not the view from our house- it's just right up the street- two blocks away. I have written in the text that the house is located 2 blocks from the Chesapeake and tried to make that totally apparent... those of you who have seen the site- what do you think? Is it not clear enough? I definitely don't want to give that impression to people that it's a waterfront property, but I did want to show pictures of the beautiful bay. It's definitely a great part of our location. We might not be RIGHT on the water, but it's very close and guests can easily walk up there and enjoy the water anytime.
Sam, if you would like to come by while you're in the area, you're more than welcome to! :) I'll treat you to cookies and tea!
And yes, I'm actually currently working on putting together a "guidebook" for the local restaurants, shopping, sites, etc...!
Like you, my inn is not water front, but nearby and is a major part of why people come to our area. What I have done is to put text on the photo saying something like "XYZ beach is just down the road", or "XYZ is nearby". That way they know that it's not what they're going to see out their bedroom window.
As you'll find out soon, people don't read the text on the webpage. On a picture, you'll have more of a chance.

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
justmeinmd said:
I skimmed and thought you were waterfront by the verbiage I read, about the cottage style, and the photo.

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
Like you, my inn is not water front, but nearby and is a major part of why people come to our area. What I have done is to put text on the photo saying something like "XYZ beach is just down the road", or "XYZ is nearby". That way they know that it's not what they're going to see out their bedroom window.
As you'll find out soon, people don't read the text on the webpage. On a picture, you'll have more of a chance.
Breakfast Diva said:
and as you know I have two lakes right here, three really, but two that I promote. I do have some quirky water photos and people DO ask me if we are waterfront. So it is a give and take. I state clearly, have a google map and other info EVERYWHERE that we are not on a lake, but a drive to a lake.
I want people to stay here who GO TO THOSE LAKES! They can stay here and enjoy it all. :)

Sorry but I didn't look at your website so now I am at a loss but..if others tell you to up your rate....UP IT! And NEVER let guests use your kitchen no matter what. You will live to regret it so don't even start. Even though you are only one room to let, they don't need access to your kitchen and I can't believe the health dept would even allow it. Be professional from the get go. and Good luck.

As an innkeeper who has her own kitchen but an unfortunately open inn kitchen, I cannot agree more with everyone that you do not want guests in your kitchen. Allowing guest use of the kitchen can result in disaster.
What starts off as a 'help yourself to a soda' turns into a couple wanting to know where the big pot is for the lobsters they just bought to cook in your kitchen. (You can sub your local shellfish for the lobster, but you get what I mean.)
You know how you would act in someone else's house. Not everyone thinks the way you do.
If there is space in the room, add a small dorm fridge and single serve coffee maker. Or put that in the dining room. Plate up some snacks and leave them somewhere other than the kitchen.
Yes, it is very hard to draw these lines for US guests when you have traveled/lived in Europe and see how it is done there. As with kids, it's easier to lighten up than tighten up.

As an innkeeper who has her own kitchen but an unfortunately open inn kitchen, I cannot agree more with everyone that you do not want guests in your kitchen. Allowing guest use of the kitchen can result in disaster.
What starts off as a 'help yourself to a soda' turns into a couple wanting to know where the big pot is for the lobsters they just bought to cook in your kitchen. (You can sub your local shellfish for the lobster, but you get what I mean.)
You know how you would act in someone else's house. Not everyone thinks the way you do.
If there is space in the room, add a small dorm fridge and single serve coffee maker. Or put that in the dining room. Plate up some snacks and leave them somewhere other than the kitchen.
Yes, it is very hard to draw these lines for US guests when you have traveled/lived in Europe and see how it is done there. As with kids, it's easier to lighten up than tighten up..
Sidetrack alert:

I NEEDED this sentence today. Thank you :)

Madeleine said:
As with kids, it's easier to lighten up than tighten up.

Jsenocak said:
devil_smile.gif
justmeinmd said:
Not being familiar with your area I did look closely at your location but still would believe views (zoomed in) like that could seen from your place. The best advice to give you is to be very candid on your site. The pictures you are using are beautiful, and could remain right there, it is the reason people visit there so instead of removing the photos make the caption on the photo indicate the distance. "walk 2 short blocks to sink in the sand and take in this view"

Back