My jaw dropped when I read this response

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ai finally responded to the review that mentioned our bathrooms in a bad light. This discussion was an innspiration. Here is the portion of the review and my response.
The bathing facilities were a little spartan in our room. There was a lovely claw-foot tub, but one had to sit in the tub and use the flexible hose and shower head if one did not want to soak. But, that is to be expected at an older inn. The rocky coast and ocean views were spectacular!
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure having you here! Each of our rooms has a private bathroom and each one is different. The Rocky Beach room, where you stayed is the only one with the European style hand held shower. Many people find it charming, but we understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Next time you stay with us, we suggest the Romance Beach or Rose Hedge room. Both have stand up showers and great views. We hope to see you again soon..
TheBeachHouse said:
ai finally responded to the review that mentioned our bathrooms in a bad light. This discussion was an innspiration.
So they reserved the tub and then didn't like the tub. Were other rooms available, and they specifically chose that one? It gets my goat.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ai finally responded to the review that mentioned our bathrooms in a bad light. This discussion was an innspiration.
So they reserved the tub and then didn't like the tub. Were other rooms available, and they specifically chose that one? It gets my goat.
Actually, they reserved the room that has a bath down the hall. The least expensive room. He balked at the bath down the hall, so my husband upgraded them to a room that costs more and has an ensuite bath.....and is much bigger and has a king, rather than queen bed. But he chose to focus on the shower situation.

ai finally responded to the review that mentioned our bathrooms in a bad light. This discussion was an innspiration. Here is the portion of the review and my response.
The bathing facilities were a little spartan in our room. There was a lovely claw-foot tub, but one had to sit in the tub and use the flexible hose and shower head if one did not want to soak. But, that is to be expected at an older inn. The rocky coast and ocean views were spectacular!
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure having you here! Each of our rooms has a private bathroom and each one is different. The Rocky Beach room, where you stayed is the only one with the European style hand held shower. Many people find it charming, but we understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Next time you stay with us, we suggest the Romance Beach or Rose Hedge room. Both have stand up showers and great views. We hope to see you again soon..
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Actually, they reserved the room that has a bath down the hall. The least expensive room. He balked at the bath down the hall, so my husband upgraded them to a room that costs more and has an ensuite bath.....and is much bigger and has a king, rather than queen bed. But he chose to focus on the shower situation.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh it was THAT guy! He got the upgrade and complained, what a piece of work!
Let me ask you, is the wall sloped so that you can't stand in that tub to shower? I am looking at the photo.

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Let me ask you, is the wall sloped so that you can't stand in that tub to shower? I am looking at the photo.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, the wall is sloped so that adding a shower extension wouldn't work. The bath next door has the clawfoot tub with a stand up shower extension. We have looked at rearranging the fixtures to put a shower in. It's a project for another year. But for now, we clearly state that it is a hand held shower in the brochure and on the website. We understand it's unusual so we TRY to manage expecations.

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Yes, the wall is sloped so that adding a shower extension wouldn't work. The bath next door has the clawfoot tub with a stand up shower extension. We have looked at rearranging the fixtures to put a shower in. It's a project for another year. But for now, we clearly state that it is a hand held shower in the brochure and on the website. We understand it's unusual so we TRY to manage expecations.
Oddest thing ever was trying to shower with a hand held in a little hotel in Toulouse. No shower curtain so there was water everywhere when I was done.
Can you get a rain shower head in next year?

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Oddest thing ever was trying to shower with a hand held in a little hotel in Toulouse. No shower curtain so there was water everywhere when I was done.
Madeleine said:
The ceiling over the tub is slanted with the roof line. Most people couldn't stand up in the tub.
We will see what we can do but nothing until after Summer. In the meantime, every bathroom has a brand new adjustable shower head.

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
But you can STAND to shower? That is what I am asking. I am trying to help make it clearer. Otherwise it is not a shower, it is a tub. Without redoing it, I am just wanting it to be clear on your website, so you don't get dinged again on TA from it. Just want to help.

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
But you can STAND to shower? That is what I am asking. I am trying to help make it clearer. Otherwise it is not a shower, it is a tub. Without redoing it, I am just wanting it to be clear on your website, so you don't get dinged again on TA from it. Just want to help.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
But you can STAND to shower? That is what I am asking. I am trying to help make it clearer. Otherwise it is not a shower, it is a tub. Just want to help.
No, you can't stand to shower. You have to sit in the tub. The ceiling is too low.

I've written 20 reviews in the past 2 weeks. ZERO responses. I also did not contact mgmt at the time of all the problems. Why not? In one case we were already in bed and neither of us wanted to get up, get dressed and call the front desk and wait for someone to come to the room to handle the problem. We dealt with it and let them know in the morning.
In one case, it was still early enough and we did call. Someone came immediately to handle the problems in question but most of the issues I had (dirt, stains) were never going to be fixed..
Madeleine said:
I've written 20 reviews in the past 2 weeks. ZERO responses (*Inserted from JB - maybe they have not published yet, or maybe the inns in question do not regularly check TA). I also did not contact mgmt at the time of all the problems. Why not? In one case we were already in bed and neither of us wanted to get up, get dressed and call the front desk and wait for someone to come to the room to handle the problem. We dealt with it and let them know in the morning.
In one case, it was still early enough and we did call. Someone came immediately to handle the problems in question but most of the issues I had (dirt, stains) were never going to be fixed.
I think your travels will bring new insight into what guests go through when they stay with us. After you recover can you please think about some of the questions I am going to post below and share your POV.
I know some B&B's here are destinations, the person books a room, shows up, stays and goes home smiling. But for us, specifically here, at least 50% are traveling, we are only ONE stop on their travels. So for that, it is good to see how frustrating travel can be, not everything is smooth sailing. How accessible innkeepers/mgmt really are, and more.
When you stayed at a B&B:
1) Did you want the innkeepers waiting to check you-in after 8 hours on the road? Or did you appreciate an open or self check in time to get there when you got there?
2) Did you want to have a set breakfast time, or show up whenever? Were the hosts amiable either way? Were any of the breakfasts above par? Were any of them below par?
3) Did you have any problems during your stay that the hosts/mgmt could not fix or were unwilling to fix?
4) Did any of the innkeepers make it all seem like ice cream and truffles, and they helped you relax by their relaxed approach? Or the opposite, did some of them seem uptight and make you immediately go into hackles raised mode?
5) Did you encounter any snafus while in a room, "Stuff happens" sort of thing, and were unable to deal with it? Did you let is slide and not worry about it?
6) What was the one thing overall you FELT or EXPERIENCED at a B&B that sticks with you, most memorable moment or experience?
7) Did any of them send you a follow up, or a thank you email? Did any of them request a TA review from you? Did any of them send you a thank you card by snail mail?
8 ) Did any of them have a welcome card or note in your room, addressing you by name? (I really would like to hear this answer, please), or make your stay personal in any other way?
9) Other random thoughts from you, who traveled many many miles
Joey Bloggs said:
I think your travels will bring new insight into what guests go through when they stay with us. After you recover can you please think about some of the questions I am going to post below and share your POV.
We chose to not stay at B&B's because we wanted our time to be our time. We did not want to have to show up for breakfast or find someone to tell we didn't want breakfast. We wanted to get up when we felt like it, get on the road when we wanted and (for me) did not want our time taken up chatting with the innkeepers. We were on vacation FROM all of that. Harsh, I know but that's how I planned it.
OTOH, we were well-treated in almost every place we stayed. We were walk-ins in all but 2 (first and last nights). Only one place had the 'we don't care' attitude and they should have cared. They gave us a keycard to a room that was already in use! When we went to complain they were 'oh, the guy on the day shift messed the computer up we're still trying to fix it.' Yeah, right. If they KNEW the guy messed up they should have walked us to the room to make sure.
All of my reviews have been posted. Once I got started TA couldn't post them fast enough!
IMHO, running a B&B has opposite effects when traveling yourself. I think it makes you a lot more accepting of things going wrong and sympathetic for proprietors trying to put them right, on the other hand I think it makes you a lot less tolerant of things that are wrong and no attempt has been made to rectify.
I'm at a hotel who's breakfast is to bad... that I wanted to go out for breakfast after breakfast.
How bad? Apparently no yoghurt on the weekends. So breakfast was bread, danish, premade waffles, cereal and fruit salad. There was 4 types of juice, 2 types of coffee and a fruit bowl. I wondered if prisoners might get a better breakfast.
Jon Sable said:
I'm at a hotel who's breakfast is to bad... that I wanted to go out for breakfast after breakfast.
How bad? Apparently no yoghurt on the weekends. So breakfast was bread, danish, premade waffles, cereal and fruit salad. There was 4 types of juice, 2 types of coffee and a fruit bowl. I wondered if prisoners might get a better breakfast.
hmmmm, add in the yogurt and that's pretty much what we serve. If it says Continental Breakfast, it means they don't have the ability (by law) to cook a breakfast. We put out something sweet and baked, English Muffins, sometimes, toaster waffles, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese and butter. On the other table, three kinds of cereal , milk, yogurt, and fresh fruit. Three kinds of juice and a coffee machine.
People rave about our breakfast, so I guess it's ok.
ignore this space

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
But you can STAND to shower? That is what I am asking. I am trying to help make it clearer. Otherwise it is not a shower, it is a tub. Just want to help.
No, you can't stand to shower. You have to sit in the tub. The ceiling is too low.
I figured you had to sit from my experience in France. Would it be possible to offer a bath seat in the tub to make it easier?

id have squashed in the complimentary upgrade to an ensuite room somewhere - gimp!

id have squashed in the complimentary upgrade to an ensuite room somewhere - gimp!
Joey Camb said:
I tried, it kept coming out snarky. LOL

Back