Naming FB photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where it matters, the recommended formatting of images goes like this:
this-is-my-hotel.jpg
So basically, don't use spaces (just to be safe), don't use special characters, don't use uppercase, and use "-" to split the words instead of the underscore.
But yes, this is completely useless for FB..
Ok, so, if putting room name, inn name, and city name (as suggested), it would read as:

blue-room,seaside-inn,astoria-or.jpg

Correct?
BananaE29 said:
Ok, so, if putting room name, inn name, and city name (as suggested), it would read as:

Correct?
Blue-room-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg
or for your own purposes, example:
Blue-room-web-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
BananaE29 said:

Correct?
Ditto.
Are we talking about the actual image file name? Or the ALT TEXT? Guess I wasn't paying attention.
I know you should never leave it as it comes out of the camera.
wink_smile.gif

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/name-your-website-files-for-better-seo-results.html
Thank you for the article. I am questioning the actual image file name? So...I know this must seem a stupid question...all the pictures that are currently on my website, that have been uploaded to my server...if I change the name of the pictures on MY computer, then will I need to go back in to the website and re-upload the pictures?
Yes. The photos loaded to your website are probably not speaking to the same photo on your computer. If they were you would not be able to turn your computer off or your website would go down.
Pita! Totally. But useful down the road. Do a couple a day.

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
So basically, don't use spaces (just to be safe), don't use special characters, don't use uppercase, and use "-" to split the words instead of the underscore.

Correct?
BananaE29 said:

Correct?
Joey Bloggs said:
BananaE29 said:

Correct?
Ditto.
Are we talking about the actual image file name? Or the ALT TEXT? Guess I wasn't paying attention.
I know you should never leave it as it comes out of the camera.
wink_smile.gif

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/name-your-website-files-for-better-seo-results.html
Thank you for the article. I am questioning the actual image file name? So...I know this must seem a stupid question...all the pictures that are currently on my website, that have been uploaded to my server...if I change the name of the pictures on MY computer, then will I need to go back in to the website and re-upload the pictures?
Yes. The photos loaded to your website are probably not speaking to the same photo on your computer. If they were you would not be able to turn your computer off or your website would go down.
Pita! Totally. But useful down the road. Do a couple a day.
Got cha. Thanks again, everyone

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
I have been renaming mine this way since JB slapped me up the side of the head about photo name. (will have to stop using upper case though)
LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
double dip - only hit save once. I know it was once.

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
I have been renaming mine this way since JB slapped me up the side of the head about photo name. (will have to stop using upper case though)
LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.
gillumhouse said:
I don't like the hyphens and as the article Empty Nest pointed us to yesterday said, search engines have no problem with blank spaces as they read web pages, so they can handle spaces in filenames too. But I'll use the hyphens just to be safe. Just don't like them!
Also, "just to be safe" from what? Are the hyphens just because 20 years ago DOS couldn't handle filenames with spaces in them? That was fixed long ago. I suspect spaces in filenames are no problem now, and never will be again.

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
gillumhouse said:
Don't be afraid to use the words ElopeWV loghouse-Gillumhouse.jpg in every photo name. That is very valuable real estate.
thumbs_up.gif

if there is one thing people search images are weddings and elopements. :)

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
gillumhouse said:
I don't like the hyphens and as the article Empty Nest pointed us to yesterday said, search engines have no problem with blank spaces as they read web pages, so they can handle spaces in filenames too. But I'll use the hyphens just to be safe. Just don't like them!
Also, "just to be safe" from what? Are the hyphens just because 20 years ago DOS couldn't handle filenames with spaces in them? That was fixed long ago. I suspect spaces in filenames are no problem now, and never will be again.
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
YES, agreed

this-is-my-hotel.jpg
gillumhouse said:
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
It is not just about DOS.
In the past 5 years I have had multiple customers with problems on their websites, different scripts weren't working properly, especially ones that were manipulating photos in some way.
The most frequent cause was users having file names similar to this:
I.like.lots.of.dots.and.some.âccéntéd.letters.com.20.04.2009.jpg
There are some things that just break from stuff like this, so when possible, do it right.
Having a space instead of a "-" shouldn't give you any benefits, not now, not in the nearest future...

Back