Nearly there

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get out of my house. 2 couples, last minute Rez. They finally checked out of the rooms at 11:30.
They are still in the house. Can we have more paper for the printer? One of them keeps opening the screen door and leaving it open. Do you not have bugs where you live?
Eating the snacks. Asking questions. Go away!
They are settled in for the duration! Books out. IPads at the ready.
How do you ask guests to buzz off???.
Me? I pull out the vacuum and the start pulling the living room apart. I let them know that they are welcome to leave their cars if they want to take a walk but their bodies must be out of the house because I have work to do. Period.

Get out of my house. 2 couples, last minute Rez. They finally checked out of the rooms at 11:30.
They are still in the house. Can we have more paper for the printer? One of them keeps opening the screen door and leaving it open. Do you not have bugs where you live?
This is always so awkward for me also. I have a lot of one nighters who don't have time to enjoy the pool after they check in, go to dinner, sleep, eat breakfast, and then check out at 11:00. So they think it's ok to vacate their room, but still use the pool - which uses my towels, and where are you going to use the restroom if you have to go? And how are you going to get out the front door, if not back through the house?

I know there are a few here that do not fib...but I feel like sometimes, you have to! In this situation, I think I would say "I'm sorry, but I really need to lock up the house and run errands. Will you need much more time?" Or if you really want them out, maybe a Dr's appointment at a specific time - "I'm sorry all, but I have to be at the Dr in 15 minutes and need to secure the property." If they don't take the hint, I'm not sure what else you could do.
I usually get the pool thing as an early arrival statement. SAME thing - where are they going to go if they have to go? And when do they think we do our pool maintenance?

When ever issues like Maddie's occur I leave it to my witty DH who usually can make the issue go away. The snake charmer!

Me? I pull out the vacuum and the start pulling the living room apart. I let them know that they are welcome to leave their cars if they want to take a walk but their bodies must be out of the house because I have work to do. Period.
They saw us working. We were hauling butt! Vacuuming, laundry, etc. It was nothing to them to poke a nose into a room we were working in and ask for one more favor.
They were leeches. You get them at times and you're happy you never have to see them again.
No tip. And that honeyed voice I do so hate. One of the women in the group walked right past another guest to hug the other guest's husband. HE turned beet red. His wife, bless her, smiled at him and winked. Put Missy in her place. She let go of the other husband pretty quick.
The kind of guest who thinks saying you're sorry about checking out late means you've done your part in smoothing things over. Canned apology. She knew she was late. She was still dragging her feet going back into the room 5 times.
I'm suffering thru a wedding group right now and these other 2 rooms were the frosting on the ugly cake.

Just so you all know, all this will be over at the end of August. - So says one of my guests.
wink_smile.gif

She said all the craziness happening in the world is due to the planets alignment and it is reeking havoc in the world. At the end of August things should settle down.

I told her 'you mean we have another month of this'

Spare me now!

Just so you all know, all this will be over at the end of August. - So says one of my guests.
wink_smile.gif

She said all the craziness happening in the world is due to the planets alignment and it is reeking havoc in the world. At the end of August things should settle down.

I told her 'you mean we have another month of this'

Spare me now!.
It's always August. Always.

They saw us working. We were hauling butt! Vacuuming, laundry, etc. It was nothing to them to poke a nose into a room we were working in and ask for one more favor.
They were leeches. You get them at times and you're happy you never have to see them again.
No tip. And that honeyed voice I do so hate. One of the women in the group walked right past another guest to hug the other guest's husband. HE turned beet red. His wife, bless her, smiled at him and winked. Put Missy in her place. She let go of the other husband pretty quick.
The kind of guest who thinks saying you're sorry about checking out late means you've done your part in smoothing things over. Canned apology. She knew she was late. She was still dragging her feet going back into the room 5 times.
I'm suffering thru a wedding group right now and these other 2 rooms were the frosting on the ugly cake.
Oh my, I feel for you. Don't know how you manage so many rooms with the kind of guests you get.
I have one more breakfast with a full house and then we get our planned break. PITA with all the dietary limitations leaves tomorrow so I can put the "feather-free" room back into order, pulling out all fiber-filled pillows and replacing them with the ones that are normally on the bed. She recently updated her "allergy" list and eliminated the restrictions on citrus and tomatoes. Poor thing...she is kind of pathetic so I have a hard time being upset with her. But I am REALLY hopping that they check out on time tomorrow....counting the hours.
On Sunday we will only have one set of guests left and we will deliver their breakfast to the cottage so I don't have to talk to them.
devil_smile.gif
And then....we have a few days of NO ONE! Man oh man, am I ever looking forward to that....sleep in, no cleaning, no cooking...may even get to take a nap.

I'm so afraid I'm going to jinx myself as I type this....this is the first summer I can remember when the crazies haven't shown up on my doorstep! No, really! No one saying we're a 'fraud', no one getting here and saying "it's not what I expected", no one having a tissy fit that we have little to no cell service and refusing to stay, etc.!
Not everyone has been a gem, but I'm so thankful that so far it's gone pretty smoothly. Especially with the added on weddings/elopements, I probably would just crumble to pieces if I had to deal with the crazies on top of everything else.
I'm a realist...I know it still may happen, but for now, I'm breathing a big sign of relief!

I'm so afraid I'm going to jinx myself as I type this....this is the first summer I can remember when the crazies haven't shown up on my doorstep! No, really! No one saying we're a 'fraud', no one getting here and saying "it's not what I expected", no one having a tissy fit that we have little to no cell service and refusing to stay, etc.!
Not everyone has been a gem, but I'm so thankful that so far it's gone pretty smoothly. Especially with the added on weddings/elopements, I probably would just crumble to pieces if I had to deal with the crazies on top of everything else.
I'm a realist...I know it still may happen, but for now, I'm breathing a big sign of relief!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm a realist...I know it still may happen, but for now, I'm breathing a big sign of relief!
Good to hear. We've also had very nice people stay with us. Exceptions - the mosquito lady who exaggerated one mosquito to be a 'swarm.' And the one who deemed the room, "unacceptable" and walked out. Fine. Pretty sure we could not have made it any better.
But the ones who thought the power going out was romantic and historically accurate and then CAME BACK for a second visit and the ones who simply love our very basic breakfasts and the one woman who sat by the koi pond every day and even reviewed how awesome it was....even though it was full of algea and you could only see the fish when they came up to eat. Those people are so awesome.
We have had a very nice summer.

I'm a realist...I know it still may happen, but for now, I'm breathing a big sign of relief!.
wish there was a delete feature. double post. forgive.

Do ya think your new website has something to do with this? I am guessing it does :)

Oh my, I feel for you. Don't know how you manage so many rooms with the kind of guests you get.
I have one more breakfast with a full house and then we get our planned break. PITA with all the dietary limitations leaves tomorrow so I can put the "feather-free" room back into order, pulling out all fiber-filled pillows and replacing them with the ones that are normally on the bed. She recently updated her "allergy" list and eliminated the restrictions on citrus and tomatoes. Poor thing...she is kind of pathetic so I have a hard time being upset with her. But I am REALLY hopping that they check out on time tomorrow....counting the hours.
On Sunday we will only have one set of guests left and we will deliver their breakfast to the cottage so I don't have to talk to them.
devil_smile.gif
And then....we have a few days of NO ONE! Man oh man, am I ever looking forward to that....sleep in, no cleaning, no cooking...may even get to take a nap.
Silverspoon said:
devil_smile.gif
Heaven!

Do ya think your new website has something to do with this? I am guessing it does :)
EmptyNest said:
Is that question for me EN? The only new website we have is the wedding/elopement one and not the b&b. Although we have hosted many of the wedding couples, which have all been wonderful, the majority of our business is still the regular guest we get in the summer.

EmptyNest said:
Is that question for me EN? The only new website we have is the wedding/elopement one and not the b&b. Although we have hosted many of the wedding couples, which have all been wonderful, the majority of our business is still the regular guest we get in the summer.
Ignore that...brain freeze today! :) Though I bet your new wedding site does help too doesn't it?

EmptyNest said:
Ignore that...brain freeze today! :) Though I bet your new wedding site does help too doesn't it?
Probably, although hard to quantify it. Hopefully those wedding couples who have hit our wedding site will take a look at the b&b also. Even if the type of intimate weddings/elopements are not what they are looking for. Maybe they'll keep us in mind for a romantic getaway later on!

I can think of someone else who can credit a new site with increased business.
heart.gif

What! No dance pole??? WOW!!

Latest posts

Back