Need help wth munchies for Chamber networking event

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a super simple recipe using puff pastry to make mini herb quiche. I'm sure you can make them ahead and then just serve them at room temp. Very easy to add your own ingredient ideas too.

It's a networking event, so everyone will be noshing, wandering, talking. Easy, mess free, finger foods are the plan.
I have a little scavenger hunt/trivia game that I put together last year for a ladies group that we hosted. I might do that too because they have to check out all the rooms to find the answers. I had good feedback on it. Everyone with all the right answers went into a prize drawing.
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas! I feel better about this now knowing I can make a great spread all in-house..
I attend many meetings (cocktail receptions) that are held in that time frame. People are expecting mostly savory items, with some sweets too. Seems like people don't dive into the sweets.
Popular savory items: Cheese (& fruit), sausage or meat balls, mini quiches, mini puff pastry shells filled with something, mini sandwiches, hot dips with crackers, mini biscuit sandwiches, bacon rolled around something served via toothpick, etc.
I would keep it simple, regional, and reflective of your B&B! Have fun!

It's a networking event, so everyone will be noshing, wandering, talking. Easy, mess free, finger foods are the plan.
I have a little scavenger hunt/trivia game that I put together last year for a ladies group that we hosted. I might do that too because they have to check out all the rooms to find the answers. I had good feedback on it. Everyone with all the right answers went into a prize drawing.
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas! I feel better about this now knowing I can make a great spread all in-house..
I attend many meetings (cocktail receptions) that are held in that time frame. People are expecting mostly savory items, with some sweets too. Seems like people don't dive into the sweets.
Popular savory items: Cheese (& fruit), sausage or meat balls, mini quiches, mini puff pastry shells filled with something, mini sandwiches, hot dips with crackers, mini biscuit sandwiches, bacon rolled around something served via toothpick, etc.
Good point. I have redirected my focus to more savory things. I'll even make some finger sandwiches. They're not our usual fare, but it will still be homemade from our kitchen. I think that's the most important at this point. Showing our creativity.

Good point. I have redirected my focus to more savory things. I'll even make some finger sandwiches. They're not our usual fare, but it will still be homemade from our kitchen. I think that's the most important at this point. Showing our creativity.
I agree! It is the homemade and tasty aspect. One of my go-to quick apps is using a wonton wrapper, put some cheese in it, and top with something. Here is an example. I've actually made something similar, but not pre-baked the wrapper. 5 minute app.

I agree! It is the homemade and tasty aspect. One of my go-to quick apps is using a wonton wrapper, put some cheese in it, and top with something. Here is an example. I've actually made something similar, but not pre-baked the wrapper. 5 minute app.
Just yesterday I saw a "fried cheese" version that was a string cheese stick wrapped with a small tortilla and baked until brown. Looked good & probably tastes great! (a little crumbly though - don't need anything that will make more work for me!)
I was also thinking about lil' smokies wrapped in bacon & deep fried. *lol* Yum! The place would smell like bacon!

Just yesterday I saw a "fried cheese" version that was a string cheese stick wrapped with a small tortilla and baked until brown. Looked good & probably tastes great! (a little crumbly though - don't need anything that will make more work for me!)
I was also thinking about lil' smokies wrapped in bacon & deep fried. *lol* Yum! The place would smell like bacon!
You can do the L'il Smokies wrapped in bacon and broil them. They're another go-to app for these stand up and eat events. Sounds like you're going to have to choose wisely and well from all the options! ;-)

You can do the L'il Smokies wrapped in bacon and broil them. They're another go-to app for these stand up and eat events. Sounds like you're going to have to choose wisely and well from all the options! ;-)
Yes, I have a ton of ideas now. We are going to sit down and pare it down considering time, materials and man-power. I want to prep/make as much as possible ahead of time and will have some friends to help day of. It's going to be alot of work, but it needs to be perfect as this will probably be the last time for awhile that we'll have a chance to host such a big gathering of local businesses.

Here's a super simple recipe using puff pastry to make mini herb quiche. I'm sure you can make them ahead and then just serve them at room temp. Very easy to add your own ingredient ideas too..
That looks good AND easy! Thank you =)
You're probably overwhelmed with choices, but when I saw this today I thought of you. Looks easier than the puff pastry, can be made ahead of time and can probably be served room temp or nuke for just a few seconds to warm.
Easy Broccoli, Cheese and Ham Muffins
All these apps are making me want to have a party!

K9 whatever you end up doing, have your camera ready! We can't wait to find out. :)

Here's a super simple recipe using puff pastry to make mini herb quiche. I'm sure you can make them ahead and then just serve them at room temp. Very easy to add your own ingredient ideas too..
That looks good AND easy! Thank you =)
You're probably overwhelmed with choices, but when I saw this today I thought of you. Looks easier than the puff pastry, can be made ahead of time and can probably be served room temp or nuke for just a few seconds to warm.
Easy Broccoli, Cheese and Ham Muffins
All these apps are making me want to have a party!
Those look tasty! Not low fat, but tasty! :)

Homemade biscotti to go with the chocolate and coffee - I make the spice version straight from the C ook's I llustrated recipe (I'd post it but they will hunt you down if you do). When I do it for a crowd I make the pieces smaller and you can get 4 or 5 dozen from a batch.
If apples are a big deal, there is an apple soup recipe on the recipe page here - you could do little shooters of it, garnished with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and nutmeg sprinkle.
Devilled eggs with bacon bits on top - bacon and eggs
Sausage balls. I had never heard of them before I moved here but someone suggested I make them for an open house we had and they were a huge hit. There's a P aula D een recipe, although I can't remember if that's what I used..
I have a CI membership, so I'll look up that recipe. Never made biscotti before - do you have any tips you can pass my way?
K9 said:
I have a CI membership, so I'll look up that recipe. Never made biscotti before - do you have any tips you can pass my way?
If you use their recipe, I think it calls for making two logs for the first baking - I always make three and the biscotti are plenty big. If I'm doing for a crowd, make 4 logs to make the individual biscotti more bite-size. Use a cookie rack for the second baking in the oven - saves you from having to turn them over in the middle.
I knew you'd have some good tips! I've never made biscotti. How long do they keep? Could I make them 2-3 days in advance?
K9 said:
I knew you'd have some good tips! I've never made biscotti. How long do they keep? Could I make them 2-3 days in advance?
Oh my, yes. They keep for weeks in a ziplock bag. I'm not sure what the real shelf life is as I'm usually making them every two to three weeks. The recipe will look daunting - i use the spice version with currants - but it's not too bad. The dough will be rather stiff but once you roll out the logs it's just a matter of waiting out the cooking timer.
I decided to try the biscotti tonight. I used the Spiced CI one you mentioned. It tastes very good. But, the dough had me cussing!! You mentioned that it would be stiff & I'd roll it out. But, this was so soft that when I was working it to make the logs I'd look down & see that it had stretched 6 inches to the counter before I even realized it. It turned out good and I'll be more prepared next time for the little hiccups.
What other versions do you like? You mentioned adding currants to this recipe - what other additions do you like? Nuts? Chocolate dipped?
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I think this will be a regular item at the coffee station.
biscotti.jpg

Homemade biscotti to go with the chocolate and coffee - I make the spice version straight from the C ook's I llustrated recipe (I'd post it but they will hunt you down if you do). When I do it for a crowd I make the pieces smaller and you can get 4 or 5 dozen from a batch.
If apples are a big deal, there is an apple soup recipe on the recipe page here - you could do little shooters of it, garnished with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and nutmeg sprinkle.
Sausage balls. I had never heard of them before I moved here but someone suggested I make them for an open house we had and they were a huge hit. There's a P aula D een recipe, although I can't remember if that's what I used..
K9 said:
If you use their recipe, I think it calls for making two logs for the first baking - I always make three and the biscotti are plenty big. If I'm doing for a crowd, make 4 logs to make the individual biscotti more bite-size. Use a cookie rack for the second baking in the oven - saves you from having to turn them over in the middle.
K9 said:
Oh my, yes. They keep for weeks in a ziplock bag. I'm not sure what the real shelf life is as I'm usually making them every two to three weeks. The recipe will look daunting - i use the spice version with currants - but it's not too bad. The dough will be rather stiff but once you roll out the logs it's just a matter of waiting out the cooking timer.
I decided to try the biscotti tonight. I used the Spiced CI one you mentioned. It tastes very good. But, the dough had me cussing!! You mentioned that it would be stiff & I'd roll it out. But, this was so soft that when I was working it to make the logs I'd look down & see that it had stretched 6 inches to the counter before I even realized it. It turned out good and I'll be more prepared next time for the little hiccups.
What other versions do you like? You mentioned adding currants to this recipe - what other additions do you like? Nuts? Chocolate dipped?
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I think this will be a regular item at the coffee station.
biscotti.jpg

K9 said:
The recipe I had from CI called for 3/4 cup of currants soaked at least one hour in 1/4 cup marsala wine (I've used sherry instead on occasion), drained before adding, but with 1 tsp of the soaking liquor added to the wet ingredients at the beginning.
I have on occasion had it be too wet, but usually it's pretty pliable and the flour I use to shape the logs tames it. I wonder if we are using the same recipe - mine has three variations but the spice one has the currants in it. I have really only liked this recipe, and so I stick with it (I'm not a fabulous baker, so once I find a good recipe I don't experiment much).

Or you can make is cheese, crackers and fruit (this is one we serve to guests) so it is a B&B item
lrg_Fruit%20plate%20croppedx640.jpg

lrg_Continental%20fruit_Claiborne%20House.jpg
If you dip the cut ends of the bananas into some chocolate, you don't risk brown 'naners if you're not sure exactly when your guests are arriving. Just a thought...

K9 said:
K9 said:
biscotti.jpg

You can never go wrong with chocolate!! Those look yummy!

K9 said:
K9 said:
biscotti.jpg

K9 said:
The recipe I had from CI called for 3/4 cup of currants soaked at least one hour in 1/4 cup marsala wine (I've used sherry instead on occasion), drained before adding, but with 1 tsp of the soaking liquor added to the wet ingredients at the beginning.
I have on occasion had it be too wet, but usually it's pretty pliable and the flour I use to shape the logs tames it. I wonder if we are using the same recipe - mine has three variations but the spice one has the currants in it. I have really only liked this recipe, and so I stick with it (I'm not a fabulous baker, so once I find a good recipe I don't experiment much).
It doesn't sound like we have the same recipe. There were no variations listed and this one said nothing about currants. I'll look again and see if the ingredients are different. These have a great favor though.

K9 said:
K9 said:
biscotti.jpg

K9 said:
It doesn't sound like we have the same recipe. There were no variations listed and this one said nothing about currants. I'll look again and see if the ingredients are different. These have a great favor though.
Just go here for a ton of alternatives: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/desserts/cookies/biscotti/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-collections/biscotti/index.html
Me, I don't like rock hard biscotti. My friend makes them and her's are just a bit chewy. You don't have to dunk them into anything.

K9 said:
K9 said:
biscotti.jpg

K9 said:
Just go here for a ton of alternatives: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/desserts/cookies/biscotti/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-collections/biscotti/index.html
Me, I don't like rock hard biscotti. My friend makes them and her's are just a bit chewy. You don't have to dunk them into anything.
Thanks for the links. I liked the texture before the second bake. This morning I had one and although it was crispy and not too rock-hard, it did hurt my front teeth a little bit. I've had much harder, so I think I'm on the right track.
I am very interested in experimenting with this. I think it will be a great offering to our guests - I love to do as much from scratch as possible.
(OMG - Almond & Lemon dipped in white chocolate?!? Yes, Please!)

Back