new at innkeeping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I - do you do everything and if so why? sounds daft but question everything - if you are doing anything because the previous owner did never assume that it is the right thing for YOU to do!
Think about sending out at least some of your laundry if you don't already do so - its a time killer!
2 - Guests can manage on their own as long as they have a way to contact you in an emergency - we put in a call phone which links to my mobile with a special call ring so I know its them.
3- have a LArge outside box for deliveries and train your delivery people to use them so you don't have to be in for that.
4 - automate - online booking - and maybe give a small discount for using it rather than phone - also have call divert to your mobile when out..
Can I ask how you did the special call ring? Years ago we used to be able to do that but when I called Verizon (we have iphones) they said there is no way to do that. We have a google voice phone number that we use for the business so that we don't have to publish our personal cell numbers. We would love to set up a special ring for the business calls.
Jcam said:
2 - Guests can manage on their own as long as they have a way to contact you in an emergency - we put in a call phone which links to my mobile with a special call ring so I know its them.
With Google Voice, there is a setting as to whether the number that shows up on your phone from the forwarded call is the caller's original number, or the google voice number. If you set that to be the google voice number, then you can make an entry in the Contacts on your iPhone for that number, and give it a special ring tone (you do that in the Contacts; you can give other contacts their own special ring tones -- and text alert tones -- as well, for example calls from my wife and my son each have their own tones).
The disadvantage is that you don't have the caller's number in the call list on the phone (you have your business number) so you can't call them back directly from the phone but have to use the Google Voice app to look up their number. Of course, if you use the Google Voice app to place the call, it will show up on their end as coming from your business number and not from your cell phone, so there is an advantage there.
OnTheShore said:
...you can make an entry in the Contacts on your iPhone for that number, and give it a special ring tone...
...if you use the Google Voice app to place the call, it will show up on their end as coming from your business number and not from your cell phone...
That's how I've done it for years. I love Google Voice, and it's free!

Are you the owner, too, as well as the innkeeper? You mention not being able to leave 5 days of the week, so does that mean you have 2 days where you can leave?
Our first year in biz, I did not set foot outside the building for 3 months. I did not get the mail (on the porch). I did not walk the dog (not once). I did not weed the garden. I was ironing sheets at midnight, baking cookies and muffins all afternoon, doing laundry until well after dinner.
So, I understand how it feels to never see the sun or get outside to relax. For three solid months. A lot of people think I must be mistaken about not going outside. Nope. I did not go outside at all.
I hated this job. With a passion.
I've now been here 13 years and I go out whenever I want. I walk in the morning before breakfast starts or after the guests are done. I go to a class on Monday. I drive off to the beach when the mood hits me.
A lot of it is planning. Adapting. Creating boundaries and limits around your time.
No early check ins, no late check out.
Look at your schedule to see where it's falling apart. Come back with questions.
How many rooms do you have? Who does all the chores? Do you have help? What does your day look like?.
And, you know, back in those days, Morticia really let the innspirings know about it too. Her posts were what helped me through the first year.
Tom said:
And, you know, back in those days, Morticia really let the innspirings know about it too. Her posts were what helped me through the first year.
Helpful? Moi? It was hell on wheels, but if I can do it, anyone can. And look at me now - cool, calm, and collected.
100% serious. Your tell it like it is and PITA Magnet posts helped me get prepared for the inevitable no fun side of the hospitality business. Personal thanks. Miss the old avatar though ...

I - do you do everything and if so why? sounds daft but question everything - if you are doing anything because the previous owner did never assume that it is the right thing for YOU to do!
Think about sending out at least some of your laundry if you don't already do so - its a time killer!
3- have a LArge outside box for deliveries and train your delivery people to use them so you don't have to be in for that.
4 - automate - online booking - and maybe give a small discount for using it rather than phone - also have call divert to your mobile when out..
Can I ask how you did the special call ring? Years ago we used to be able to do that but when I called Verizon (we have iphones) they said there is no way to do that. We have a google voice phone number that we use for the business so that we don't have to publish our personal cell numbers. We would love to set up a special ring for the business calls.
Jcam said:
With Google Voice, there is a setting as to whether the number that shows up on your phone from the forwarded call is the caller's original number, or the google voice number. If you set that to be the google voice number, then you can make an entry in the Contacts on your iPhone for that number, and give it a special ring tone (you do that in the Contacts; you can give other contacts their own special ring tones -- and text alert tones -- as well, for example calls from my wife and my son each have their own tones).
The disadvantage is that you don't have the caller's number in the call list on the phone (you have your business number) so you can't call them back directly from the phone but have to use the Google Voice app to look up their number. Of course, if you use the Google Voice app to place the call, it will show up on their end as coming from your business number and not from your cell phone, so there is an advantage there.
Thanks so much for the detailed write-up on that! Very helpful! I didn't know about that setting in google voice. That will be perfect and solves a big problem for us! Thanks again!
OnTheShore said:

Are you the owner, too, as well as the innkeeper? You mention not being able to leave 5 days of the week, so does that mean you have 2 days where you can leave?
Our first year in biz, I did not set foot outside the building for 3 months. I did not get the mail (on the porch). I did not walk the dog (not once). I did not weed the garden. I was ironing sheets at midnight, baking cookies and muffins all afternoon, doing laundry until well after dinner.
So, I understand how it feels to never see the sun or get outside to relax. For three solid months. A lot of people think I must be mistaken about not going outside. Nope. I did not go outside at all.
I've now been here 13 years and I go out whenever I want. I walk in the morning before breakfast starts or after the guests are done. I go to a class on Monday. I drive off to the beach when the mood hits me.
A lot of it is planning. Adapting. Creating boundaries and limits around your time.
Look at your schedule to see where it's falling apart. Come back with questions.
How many rooms do you have? Who does all the chores? Do you have help? What does your day look like?.
Tom said:
Helpful? Moi? It was hell on wheels, but if I can do it, anyone can. And look at me now - cool, calm, and collected.
100% serious. Your tell it like it is and PITA Magnet posts helped me get prepared for the inevitable no fun side of the hospitality business. Personal thanks. Miss the old avatar though ...
Tom said:
She was too serious. I needed an avatar that was silly.

Tom said:
Tom said:
Morticia said:
And perky. Don't spare me the perky ;-)

Tom said:
Tom said:
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
No, no, it's spare me the perky!

Back