New Plan - it might work

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter here is dead. I have a regular 2-night in January for a local company's tax man, but otherwise it is whenever the phome rings or a surprise online rez. Since I live here, I just stay open for the odd room night traffic because other than leaving the heat on in the bathrooms to prevent frozen pipes, the electric baseboard heat only goes on when there is a guest in that room. I keep the downstairs where I live at 64 (forced-air gas heat down here and small heaters in the kitchen and my bathroom in this old house) and if it gets REAL cold, will plug in a heater in my office. Sweaters are cheaper than the gas company.

If you have winter activities in your area, work with those areas to create "Winter Getaway Packages." People in your area snowmobile? Lots of people would love their first chance to try it! Dogsledding? Even better. Any ski resorts less than an hour away? Go for it. Winter vacations can be good business. You might try just opening for the obvious dates (MLK weekend, Presidents Day, school breaks) and see how it goes.

The more we talk about it, the more excited we get. We are now researching best vacation destinations in March and April. :)

The more we talk about it, the more excited we get. We are now researching best vacation destinations in March and April. :).
TheBeachHouse said:
The more we talk about it, the more excited we get. We are now researching best vacation destinations in March and April. :)
Utah was lovely in April. Outer Banks also.

The more we talk about it, the more excited we get. We are now researching best vacation destinations in March and April. :).
TheBeachHouse said:
we love the Outer banks. I would not have thought of that. Great idea!
I did look at golf resorts in Georgia and Florida. Checking OBX now!

TheBeachHouse said:
we love the Outer banks. I would not have thought of that. Great idea!
I did look at golf resorts in Georgia and Florida. Checking OBX now!
Try to avoid when the local grade schools are on break. Ugh. Non stop noise at the hotels. Beaches were empty, tho, it's too cold for the locals!

Ugh....sounds like everyone is saying business is dead during the winter months? I hope not. I was hoping that when I get my web site done and all the marketing in place that things would pick up..
Depends on where you are. The coast north of Boston? Yeah. In fact, most restaurants and stores in this town close in the winter.
My mother now lives in Ipswich, moved there from Lanes Cove, Cape Ann, just to try to stay warm in the winter. The wind off the ocean made the candles flicker even with the windows closed. Tonight more snow coming in. Wet and heavy close to the sea, but accumulating by morning. I miss sailing there (solo) when I was 16 in a 16 foot sloop and I miss the lobster rolls, but I don't miss the winter.
Close and go to where your heart urges you to go.

Ugh....sounds like everyone is saying business is dead during the winter months? I hope not. I was hoping that when I get my web site done and all the marketing in place that things would pick up..
Depends on where you are. The coast north of Boston? Yeah. In fact, most restaurants and stores in this town close in the winter.
My mother now lives in Ipswich, moved there from Lanes Cove, Cape Ann, just to try to stay warm in the winter. The wind off the ocean made the candles flicker even with the windows closed. Tonight more snow coming in. Wet and heavy close to the sea, but accumulating by morning. I miss sailing there (solo) when I was 16 in a 16 foot sloop and I miss the lobster rolls, but I don't miss the winter.
I love the winter! Beaches all to ourselves. Snowshoeing along the coast. The color of the sky right now is breathtaking.
Gomez wants to go back to SC. No can do.

First season and yep...we closed mid November until mid January...
Time for family, Holidays, friends, grand-babies due, travels for us and more. Even random months when one of our adult kids or their families have special events we will block the dates and be gone (or them here). Our quality of life (with family or privately) still takes priority. We also still have date nights or dinners with friends (sometimes even here at our house - even if we have guests - they don't use the dining room at night anyway!), go to concerts, events, or the beach on a sunny afternoon! I am still available and attentive, but don't need to be a slave to fully capable adults staying at our B&B! We are also fortunate not to BE the destination, but simply offer lodging for an area that IS the destination!

Tom said:
We are on Cape Ann! One of our favorite things to do on our first Fall day off, is to walk Crane Beach.

Back