Newbie Advice

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am late to the table on this one, I hope you made some first guest memories to cherish for years to come!

What everyone said above, but I'm going to add not to hover. Give them some space. New innkeepers are so anxious to please that you feel like you want to be seen all the time in case they need anything. Give them some privacy and let them know how they can contact you if they need anything.
Good luck!.
Breakfast Diva said:
not to hover. Give them some space.
Absolutely right on advice. I observed early on that a beautiful breakfast on hot plates would go stone cold, untouched, if I am still engaged with the guest. Most people will not eat while you are standing there. Best to serve and say that you'll be back in a bit. If there is a talkative guest, excuse yourself saying that the kitchen calls.

We got all of our guests settled in except for the last room, which is booked for today. All is going well so far. We do already have one stressful, now funny, event to share. We spent three days cleaning, scrubbing and dusting our 184 year old Inn. Our first guests were due to arrive around 5 PM. The inn is sandstone with six fireplaces that seem to produce quite a bit of sand and dust. Our partner was performing one last cleaning of the fireplaces around 4 PM and suddenly, poof, the shop vac just kind of blew up and a dust cloud exploded into the entire upstairs where the guest rooms are located. I am not talking a little bit of dust and dirt, it was like a bomb went off. I was in the room directly below and it filled with the dust cloud! I thought my vision was going at first and then I thought "FIRE"! We called all hands on deck, including our neighbor to open windows, turn on exhaust fans and of course clean, scrub and dust everything in sight. The timing was just right to be PANIC, but we just made our final pass as our first guests pulled into the driveway. Whew, I hope that those kind of situations are few and far between.

We got all of our guests settled in except for the last room, which is booked for today. All is going well so far. We do already have one stressful, now funny, event to share. We spent three days cleaning, scrubbing and dusting our 184 year old Inn. Our first guests were due to arrive around 5 PM. The inn is sandstone with six fireplaces that seem to produce quite a bit of sand and dust. Our partner was performing one last cleaning of the fireplaces around 4 PM and suddenly, poof, the shop vac just kind of blew up and a dust cloud exploded into the entire upstairs where the guest rooms are located. I am not talking a little bit of dust and dirt, it was like a bomb went off. I was in the room directly below and it filled with the dust cloud! I thought my vision was going at first and then I thought "FIRE"! We called all hands on deck, including our neighbor to open windows, turn on exhaust fans and of course clean, scrub and dust everything in sight. The timing was just right to be PANIC, but we just made our final pass as our first guests pulled into the driveway. Whew, I hope that those kind of situations are few and far between..
Welcome to the world of "seasoned innkeeper" on your first day. May you have smooth sailing from here on in.

We got all of our guests settled in except for the last room, which is booked for today. All is going well so far. We do already have one stressful, now funny, event to share. We spent three days cleaning, scrubbing and dusting our 184 year old Inn. Our first guests were due to arrive around 5 PM. The inn is sandstone with six fireplaces that seem to produce quite a bit of sand and dust. Our partner was performing one last cleaning of the fireplaces around 4 PM and suddenly, poof, the shop vac just kind of blew up and a dust cloud exploded into the entire upstairs where the guest rooms are located. I am not talking a little bit of dust and dirt, it was like a bomb went off. I was in the room directly below and it filled with the dust cloud! I thought my vision was going at first and then I thought "FIRE"! We called all hands on deck, including our neighbor to open windows, turn on exhaust fans and of course clean, scrub and dust everything in sight. The timing was just right to be PANIC, but we just made our final pass as our first guests pulled into the driveway. Whew, I hope that those kind of situations are few and far between..
write that down for your book :)

Perfect! You are an innkeeper!

thumbs_up.gif
Houses this old do things like that to show their love for you. (and they are in control!)

they do pop up periodically but its how you deal with them that's key!

Back