Nice when it's noticed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently changed the switch and outlet plates in one of my units from ones like the white plastic style below to antique brass ones like shown at the bottom, which are from the "arts and crafts" era of my building.
Since then I've had a couple of repeat couples and none of them said a word about the change (which is hard to miss)! But I like them, and I guess that counts for something.
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
Arks said:
I recently changed the switch and outlet plates in one of my units from ones like the white plastic style below to antique brass ones like shown at the bottom, which are from the "arts and crafts" era of my building.
Since then I've had a couple of repeat couples and none of them said a word about the change (which is hard to miss)! But I like them, and I guess that counts for something.
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
I like it.
We bought a 150 year old captain's house near the ocean. The PO gave us a bunch of brass switch plat covers when we passed papers. They had boats and anchors and such on them.
She said the realtors had advised her to replace them with new switchplate covers to brighten up the house for sale. But she hadn't wanted to throw them away. We put them back. They do go with the house. Not that anyone would notice, but it still adds to the ambiance.
TheBeachHouse said:
They do go with the house. Not that anyone would notice, but it still adds to the ambiance.
Glad you reinstalled them! My metal ones just go with the place, too. With the wide baseboards and original metal ceilings, these just belong there. My kitchens and bathrooms are all new and modern, so I left the modern electrical plates there, but in the living/dining and bedroom areas, these old-style ones look great.
I'm adding 3 more suites to my place this summer, and one thing I'm debating is using push button light switches like below. I remember them in my great grandmother's house when I was a child. Her house was built about 1900 like my guesthouse building, and that's what they used back then. I can get modern reproductions that are UL (Underwriters Laboratories) rated, but I'm not sure modern people will like them...
IMG_1715.JPG

We had some in this house, I took them out. They made me nervous pushing them.
Jon Sable said:
Nervous because you knew they were ancient and possibly unsafe? Or nervous because you thought it might call an elevator? Or nervous because you're afraid of buttons?
Nervous because they looked ancient and unsafe. They needed a lot of force to push and I always worried that they would spark. In fact, I dislike metal covers on switches because I'm always afraid that they might be touching the current. I've been shocked with current before and I'm a magnet for static, so I shy away from anything that might shock me.

EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
Arks said:
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
I like it.
We bought a 150 year old captain's house near the ocean. The PO gave us a bunch of brass switch plat covers when we passed papers. They had boats and anchors and such on them.
She said the realtors had advised her to replace them with new switchplate covers to brighten up the house for sale. But she hadn't wanted to throw them away. We put them back. They do go with the house. Not that anyone would notice, but it still adds to the ambiance.
TheBeachHouse said:
They do go with the house. Not that anyone would notice, but it still adds to the ambiance.
Glad you reinstalled them! My metal ones just go with the place, too. With the wide baseboards and original metal ceilings, these just belong there. My kitchens and bathrooms are all new and modern, so I left the modern electrical plates there, but in the living/dining and bedroom areas, these old-style ones look great.
I'm adding 3 more suites to my place this summer, and one thing I'm debating is using push button light switches like below. I remember them in my great grandmother's house when I was a child. Her house was built about 1900 like my guesthouse building, and that's what they used back then. I can get modern reproductions that are UL (Underwriters Laboratories) rated, but I'm not sure modern people will like them...
IMG_1715.JPG

Jon Sable said:
Nervous because you knew they were ancient and possibly unsafe? Or nervous because you thought it might call an elevator? Or nervous because you're afraid of buttons?
Nervous because they looked ancient and unsafe. They needed a lot of force to push and I always worried that they would spark. In fact, I dislike metal covers on switches because I'm always afraid that they might be touching the current. I've been shocked with current before and I'm a magnet for static, so I shy away from anything that might shock me.
Jon Sable said:
...I shy away from anything that might shock me.
Yes, Jon has always been so easily shocked ;-)

EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
Arks said:
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
I like it.
TheBeachHouse said:
IMG_1715.JPG

Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
...I shy away from anything that might shock me.
Yes, Jon has always been so easily shocked ;-)
All winter long... I take static shocks.

EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
Arks said:
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
I like it.
Arks,
You might consider that everything in your apartments is so cool that adding a small element of increased coolness might not be noticed.
In regards to the push buttons...I'd do it for one or two switches with one of your discreet signs explaining why they're there.,

EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
Arks said:
EA2138W_1.jpg

media.nl
I like it.
Arks,
You might consider that everything in your apartments is so cool that adding a small element of increased coolness might not be noticed.
In regards to the push buttons...I'd do it for one or two switches with one of your discreet signs explaining why they're there.,
Innkeep said:
I'd do it for one or two switches with one of your discreet signs explaining why they're there.
Great idea! Yes, I want to do it, but it would get old fast for every switch in the place to be "weird". One or two is plenty!
Oh, and Maddie, sorry for hijacking your thread!

Back