No dairy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?

Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?.
MtnKeeper said:
Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?
Like I am allergic to hot dogs when I go camping. LOL!

BTW, we went thru the no cheese thing again today. Not a single person asks if there is cream in with the eggs, they all say "no cheeses".

Have a guest in for four nights - when my husband checked her in, she announced that she is allergic to "skim milk" -- she can only have full fat milk or cream. I've heard of everything and have a daughter who is lactose intolerant and a husband who is both lactose and gluten intolerant so I'm typically up on all of this. I truly believe she just wants to be sure that I made everything extra rich while she's here. Anyone encounter this before?.
That's lactose intolerance, usually. The lower the fat content the higher the lactose.

MtnKeeper said:
I'm only allergic to hot dogs that aren't all beef kosher hot dogs.

MtnKeeper said:
Jon Sable said:
Speaking of Kosher ...I told you that story I think... My good friend who was hosting the current PM "Net" at her place, long story, but it ended up he came to Seattle and we had a meeting, low key location so at her place, it was Hebrew National to the rescue! We did a cookout and that was what she served.

MtnKeeper said:
Jon Sable said:
Speaking of Kosher ...I told you that story I think... My good friend who was hosting the current PM "Net" at her place, long story, but it ended up he came to Seattle and we had a meeting, low key location so at her place, it was Hebrew National to the rescue! We did a cookout and that was what she served.
Do you remember their slogan?
5506210_orig.jpg

Yup... my hot dogs... don't come from the butt, either. (I love HN hot dogs, I buy them when I'm in the US. BTW, they are a unit of ConAgra.

BTW, we went thru the no cheese thing again today. Not a single person asks if there is cream in with the eggs, they all say "no cheeses"..
Madeleine said:
BTW, we went thru the no cheese thing again today. Not a single person asks if there is cream in with the eggs, they all say "no cheeses".
Probably more of a calorie thing than a dairy. I avoid cheese to cut calories.

BTW, we went thru the no cheese thing again today. Not a single person asks if there is cream in with the eggs, they all say "no cheeses"..
Madeleine said:
It's rampant now. Almost every other rez we're getting they call or email after the fact to say 'no dairy'. So it's not something they are living with as an allergy, it's a brand new choice.
And it's really screwing with the breakfast when we can't make eggs for every table the same way. No quiche. No egg bake. Because I can't sub soy, either.
We might just as well offer cooked to order.

Madeleine said:
It's rampant now. Almost every other rez we're getting they call or email after the fact to say 'no dairy'. So it's not something they are living with as an allergy, it's a brand new choice.
And it's really screwing with the breakfast when we can't make eggs for every table the same way. No quiche. No egg bake. Because I can't sub soy, either.
You don't ask what they CAN't Eat! Ask, are you allergic to any foods or have health issues which prevent you from eating certain foods?
You don't need to cater to "I just don't like it." You are not a short order cook or a restaurant. Seems like putting out just a buffet and say take your pick might be a good way to go. If it isn't there on the buffet, then don't eat ...GRRRRRRR
Or just use soy milk instead of milk

Madeleine said:
Actually, here's a great thing you can do with firm tofu.... keep it very cold, slice very thinly and fry. Serve like hash browns, crispy. Or if you want it a little different, dunk in soy sauce for a minute, dry and then fry. To get it extra crispy, add a little salt and pat dry (it draws out the liquid). You can even put that inside of the omelet for a little crispy surprise.
Or how about trading the cheese for asparagus, strip bottoms and put in microwave for a minute and then add while making the omelet. Slice of tomato on the side.... skip the cheese. Cheaper anyway.

Madeleine said:
Want to guess which Dr. came up with this fad on his way to see the Wizard?

Madeleine said:
You don't ask what they CAN't Eat! Ask, are you allergic to any foods or have health issues which prevent you from eating certain foods?
You don't need to cater to "I just don't like it." You are not a short order cook or a restaurant. Seems like putting out just a buffet and say take your pick might be a good way to go. If it isn't there on the buffet, then don't eat ...GRRRRRRR
We ask about allergies. That's it. It's at the table or the day before arrival we're getting "oh, and we don't eat dairy or gluten."
It's getting stressful.
And we now have guests loading the fridge with "their special food".
Give me a break.
I understand why we in this country don't have food that people can eat without getting sick on it but when people who aren't sick stop eating I wish they'd complain to big companies that they won't eat their poisoned food any more.

Madeleine said:
We ask about allergies. That's it. It's at the table or the day before arrival we're getting "oh, and we don't eat dairy or gluten."
It's getting stressful.
Give me a break.
I understand why we in this country don't have food that people can eat without getting sick on it but when people who aren't sick stop eating I wish they'd complain to big companies that they won't eat their poisoned food any more.
Do you have a refrigerator in any of the guest rooms? Or near there so you can tell them to use that. I know you hate signs, but is there no way you can put something out in your kitchen area like
"Strict health dept rule: Guests are not permitted in the kitchen area." or something like that? I would not stand for them going into my kitchen. Where is the screen I told you to buy years ago?? LOL!!!

Madeleine said:
It's getting stressful.
Give me a break.
Madeleine said:
It's getting stressful.
Give me a break.
Stock gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free granola and serve it in a lovely crystal bowl with soy milk and fruit on the side.
http://www.iherb.com/Udi-s-Gluten-Free-Granola-Vanilla-12-oz-340-g/34578?gclid=CjgKEAjw286dBRDmwbLi8KP71GQSJAAOk4sjHNly9dW2fs2ICKn05vKx29JIwfx9OUiHV25UXOhlGfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Madeleine said:
It's getting stressful.
Give me a break.
We have a fridge for guests. Anything they leave in our fridge is OURS. We assume that it's for us to use. No exceptions. And no "extra" space. Just a small fridge space shared (we bought a fridge with a glass door, just for that reason.)

Madeleine said:
It's getting stressful.
Give me a break.
Do you have a refrigerator in any of the guest rooms? Or near there so you can tell them to use that. I know you hate signs, but is there no way you can put something out in your kitchen area like
"Strict health dept rule: Guests are not permitted in the kitchen area." or something like that? I would not stand for them going into my kitchen. Where is the screen I told you to buy years ago?? LOL!!!
Sorry. Loading the guest fridge, not ours. Do there's no room for anyone else's stuff.
You know what's totally odd? For all the "no cheeses, no dairy" we had this weekend guests drank a quart of milk!

With lactose intolerance, there is just the slightest difference between the lactose sugar in skim milk and whole milk, like .4 so it's almost impossible for someone to be able to chug cream in their coffee and all of my homemade foods but they can't have a little skim milk. So this morning she had a parfait full of whole milk yogurt along with her coffee with milk. When she was told we were making her scrambled eggs because the cheddar bacon waffles contained fat free sour cream (all I had) that's made from skim milk, she said -- Oh I'd so much rather have the waffle, don't worry about me I can have it. Again, not a lactose intolerance but a preference. Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.

DH has taken to asking for 'no cheese' too. Doesn't want the calories, but also in most local restaurants, the cheese is some oily low cost concoction that somewhat resembles cheese, only with no flavor.

With lactose intolerance, there is just the slightest difference between the lactose sugar in skim milk and whole milk, like .4 so it's almost impossible for someone to be able to chug cream in their coffee and all of my homemade foods but they can't have a little skim milk. So this morning she had a parfait full of whole milk yogurt along with her coffee with milk. When she was told we were making her scrambled eggs because the cheddar bacon waffles contained fat free sour cream (all I had) that's made from skim milk, she said -- Oh I'd so much rather have the waffle, don't worry about me I can have it. Again, not a lactose intolerance but a preference. Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
MtnKeeper said:
Drives me crazy because she's the reason that innkeepers don't want to believe the guests when they list their real allergies.
So true!!
Right now I have someone who is severely allergic to eggs and all things poultry. I know that it's not just a preference because of my questioning him about pastries. Nope, no type of pastry if it has any egg. Nobody turns down my pastries!
For him, I happily adjust his breakfast. It's the others I resent.

Back