Number of choices for hot breakfast in the morning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore these people, that's ridiculous. We do a two course breakfast (no options - it rotates each day) and I don't have a buffet of other options like you do and people don't complain - plenty of food unless you're a huge eater. I could never put all that other food out there and have waste … once it goes into the dining room if it isn't eaten it would have to be thrown out. We have dealt with 3 sets of paid innkeepers at the local place that would do this to our guests when they went there for dinner. Guests kept coming back giving me their brochure and telling me how they bugged them at the end of dinner to take a tour - they'd then give a 10% off stay coupon if they booked with them instead of us. Not sure how many took advantage of it but we have a huge % of repeat guests and they were the ones showing me the brochure and laughing about if they were coming here they were staying with us. Good riddance to Mrs. Suggestion - she can stay there next time instead.

I do have to mention that on another forum the North American way of doing things is dead wrong. (I could narrow it down to the US, actually.) The rest of the world expects a menu and cringes at our breakfasts. Even tho everyone always mentions fresh fruit and home baked items, things like quiche and potatoes are unacceptable on the breakfast table.
I'm not sure why people travel if they just want what they have at home.
Grocery store eggs? No thanks. Prepackaged jellies? Not acceptable.
For some, it's strictly homemade, and if you can milk your own goats and have your own chickens and produce that's all to the good.

I'm with the majority--sweet/savoury rotation. After I've served them their freshly baked item along with their fresh fruit, I announce the hot entree of the morning along with planned sides. Then I'll ask each table (only have four) if they'd like toast on the side, if it's savoury. At that point, guests with either yay or nay the meal or sides. If they ask for something like scrambled eggs or such, I tell them I'd be happy to do that for them but they'll have to wait until I've taken care of the other guests since my oven and cooktop space is limited and I am set up for the planned meal. Then, at the end I'll do them. No one has ever minded waiting, doesn't bother me to do it and they're happy. I've had a few ask in advance and I tell them they'll spoil the surprise. Of course this is when the forgotten allergy comes out but it's rare at that point. Other than that, no choices but mine.
Boo hoo to them to require a choice. That's what hotels and restaurants are for..
2cat_lady said:
I'm with the majority--sweet/savoury rotation. After I've served them their freshly baked item along with their fresh fruit, I announce the hot entree of the morning along with planned sides. Then I'll ask each table (only have four) if they'd like toast on the side, if it's savoury. At that point, guests with either yay or nay the meal or sides. If they ask for something like scrambled eggs or such, I tell them I'd be happy to do that for them but they'll have to wait until I've taken care of the other guests since my oven and cooktop space is limited and I am set up for the planned meal. Then, at the end I'll do them. No one has ever minded waiting, doesn't bother me to do it and they're happy. I've had a few ask in advance and I tell them they'll spoil the surprise. Of course this is when the forgotten allergy comes out but it's rare at that point. Other than that, no choices but mine.
your breakfasts equal two of mine every day, and I don't scrimp. Amazingly good and bountiful

I do have to mention that on another forum the North American way of doing things is dead wrong. (I could narrow it down to the US, actually.) The rest of the world expects a menu and cringes at our breakfasts. Even tho everyone always mentions fresh fruit and home baked items, things like quiche and potatoes are unacceptable on the breakfast table.
For some, it's strictly homemade, and if you can milk your own goats and have your own chickens and produce that's all to the good..
And work the back 40 with one hand while ironing the sheets with the other. And this is the land of Rednecks and the only country with prejudiced people. There are a couple I want to tell stick it where the sun don't shine because somewhere along the way there will be a "stick it" to the good ole USA. Glad they are so perfect.

Sounds like the neighbors are kind of d!cks (if I may speak plainly.)
Your breakfast sounds top notch to me.
I've been floating the idea of one entrée to my hubby for awhile based on what I read here. Sweet one day, savory the next. (As of now, we put out both eggs and a sweet entrée every day.)
You have a full continental plus a great chef's special PLUS the alternative of eggs. No need to worry..
from previous conversations - they are, whenever phin's guests go there they try and poach them and bad mouth P - not on. P won't play their nasty game
I do remember stories of this place. They hurt themselves in the long run.
Grateful that it works entirely different here. town businesses support each other to the betterment of the town in general. Inns, in particular, are quick to recommend other inns.
When an inquiry comes in wanting a pool, I know exactly where to send them. If the pool place hears from a prospect wanting a water view, they will refer them to us.
That isn't everybody, of course. There is one inn, in particular, that refuses to join the group and works for himself alone. He happens to have the most perfect location for an inn in this town. So he doesn't feel he needs the community.
Not to show off but have one of the best locations in town plus other facilities others don't have such as parking and I don't feel I don't need the community - its nice to have company, shoulder to complain on or just have a coffee and a grumble with - also neighbour has done a super trip man response its hilarious -
"noise from the road is horrendous". That is the most ridiculous and misleading statement that anybody has ever left me, and I mean EVER. Statements like that can have a detrimental affect on my business, and I'm not sure that's what you intend. There is some noise from the Skipton Road, which is about 50 yards away across the Stray, but it is not horrendous. In fact I'm sitting here in room 6, I know you were in room 6 as that's the only one with a shower curtain and not a screen, and I can safely say that if there was a spider in the room you'd be able to hear it fart. The new double glazing sure does do it's job.
If you're gonna set yourself up as the new self appointed replacement to Alex Polizzi please be accurate, as you seem to be for the rest of your review.
name of owner
Owner and noise marshall

I've been floating the idea of one entrée to my hubby for awhile based on what I read here. Sweet one day, savory the next. (As of now, we put out both eggs and a sweet entrée every day.)
You have a full continental plus a great chef's special PLUS the alternative of eggs. No need to worry..
from previous conversations - they are, whenever phin's guests go there they try and poach them and bad mouth P - not on. P won't play their nasty game
Grateful that it works entirely different here. town businesses support each other to the betterment of the town in general. Inns, in particular, are quick to recommend other inns.
When an inquiry comes in wanting a pool, I know exactly where to send them. If the pool place hears from a prospect wanting a water view, they will refer them to us.
That isn't everybody, of course. There is one inn, in particular, that refuses to join the group and works for himself alone. He happens to have the most perfect location for an inn in this town. So he doesn't feel he needs the community.
Not to show off but have one of the best locations in town plus other facilities others don't have such as parking and I don't feel I don't need the community - its nice to have company, shoulder to complain on or just have a coffee and a grumble with - also neighbour has done a super trip man response its hilarious -
"noise from the road is horrendous". That is the most ridiculous and misleading statement that anybody has ever left me, and I mean EVER. Statements like that can have a detrimental affect on my business, and I'm not sure that's what you intend. There is some noise from the Skipton Road, which is about 50 yards away across the Stray, but it is not horrendous. In fact I'm sitting here in room 6, I know you were in room 6 as that's the only one with a shower curtain and not a screen, and I can safely say that if there was a spider in the room you'd be able to hear it fart. The new double glazing sure does do it's job.
If you're gonna set yourself up as the new self appointed replacement to Alex Polizzi please be accurate, as you seem to be for the rest of your review.
name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Awesome.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
I'm letting her do all my mgmt responses from now on.

Boo hoo to them to require a choice. That's what hotels and restaurants are for..
2cat_lady said:
your breakfasts equal two of mine every day, and I don't scrimp. Amazingly good and bountiful
A www shucks. Thanks Innkeep. And you didn't really give me the chance to spoil you.

For some, it's strictly homemade, and if you can milk your own goats and have your own chickens and produce that's all to the good..
Morticia said:
For some, it's strictly homemade, and if you can milk your own goats and have your own chickens and produce that's all to the good.
Last night I saw Carambola at the grocery store and they weren't cheap, I had them in the cart and last minute said aloud "Never mind they will just end up in the trash."

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
"noise from the road is horrendous". That is the most ridiculous and misleading statement that anybody has ever left me, and I mean EVER.
We have a train track that goes through the mountains. People love trains. Some people hate trains. It is in the distance and one of the greatest things about living here, I absolutely love it. I listen to it when I can and try to guess if it is empty or full. Guests complain it is too quiet here. When the leaves are gone you can hear the train approaching afar off and it is magical. Guests complained about the train. No one has sat on the porch in the last month. No one has sat in the gardens in the last month.
The most glorious morning of the year, I mean ever, we set the table for the cottage for their breakfast delivery and they took it all inside. Baffles the mind.
To each his own. Tomato tomahtoe. Chips or french fries.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
"noise from the road is horrendous". That is the most ridiculous and misleading statement that anybody has ever left me, and I mean EVER.
We have a train track that goes through the mountains. People love trains. Some people hate trains. It is in the distance and one of the greatest things about living here, I absolutely love it. I listen to it when I can and try to guess if it is empty or full. Guests complain it is too quiet here. When the leaves are gone you can hear the train approaching afar off and it is magical. Guests complained about the train. No one has sat on the porch in the last month. No one has sat in the gardens in the last month.
The most glorious morning of the year, I mean ever, we set the table for the cottage for their breakfast delivery and they took it all inside. Baffles the mind.
We're set back from the road on lots of acres - that's why most guests book us. Had a city guest arrive and tell us that his wife had to leave as she couldn't sleep at night being so far in the woods and that there were bears in the woods. Really - nothing on our website gave that away before you booked and took the last room … not the 2nd photo which shows us set back in the woods with no neighbors? To each his own -- she was a NYC girl afraid of the woods and they booked a night in a mountain B&B set in the woods. Can't fix stupid.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
We're set back from the road on lots of acres - that's why most guests book us. Had a city guest arrive and tell us that his wife had to leave as she couldn't sleep at night being so far in the woods and that there were bears in the woods. Really - nothing on our website gave that away before you booked and took the last room … not the 2nd photo which shows us set back in the woods with no neighbors? To each his own -- she was a NYC girl afraid of the woods and they booked a night in a mountain B&B set in the woods. Can't fix stupid.
MtnKeeper said:
We had guests here who stayed at a place like yours and left. Same type story, they complained to me about this mountain getaway being in the mountains. They didn't feel safe.
wow. just wow.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
I had a very long conversation with a potential guest who went out of her way to tell me how far back in the woods she lives, how very quiet it is there, how she needs complete, human silence to sleep (crickets ok, people not ok), and could I guarantee that kind of quiet here?
Um. I live on one of the longest roads in the USA. The house is set back about 30 feet from what used to be a truck route. People live in the houses all around me. They have kids, dogs, cars and lives they live out loud.
She asked for something on the water. I had to explain working waterfronts, fog horns, boat engines, fishermen at 4 AM. I have no idea where she ended up going on vacation. But this was not the right place for her.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
MtnKeeper said:
We had guests here who stayed at a place like yours and left. Same type story, they complained to me about this mountain getaway being in the mountains. They didn't feel safe.
wow. just wow.
I have a frequent guest who is an avid rail-trail rider from a city. I guess her hubs must always ride with her because for several years when she first started coming here, when she was alone, she wanted me to ride with her because she was worried about it being safe. She spent a lot of time hearing - "You KNOW the only reason I am on this freaking bike is because it is you." "They do not make tractor seats for bicycles but they should." "This butt does NOT like bicycle seats." She now feels comfortable on our trail alone or is just being kind to my knees because the last few times she was here I did not have to sit on that $%^&* seat.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
MtnKeeper said:
wow. just wow.
I wonder if maybe people do read the description, but can't really comprehend it because they've never experienced that kind of setting for themselves before, so they go ahead and book anyways....

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
I'm letting her do all my mgmt responses from now on.
the response I copied? actually its a chap but I am sure his replies would be amazing! should do a spoof service lol

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
I had a very long conversation with a potential guest who went out of her way to tell me how far back in the woods she lives, how very quiet it is there, how she needs complete, human silence to sleep (crickets ok, people not ok), and could I guarantee that kind of quiet here?
Um. I live on one of the longest roads in the USA. The house is set back about 30 feet from what used to be a truck route. People live in the houses all around me. They have kids, dogs, cars and lives they live out loud.
She asked for something on the water. I had to explain working waterfronts, fog horns, boat engines, fishermen at 4 AM. I have no idea where she ended up going on vacation. But this was not the right place for her.
Morticia said:
Stay in the woods.
and then there are the other guests.
Last night the couple in the cottage sat outside enjoying the evening probably with a bottle of wine, laughing, talking til midnight. I am happy they were enjoying what we offer. Few really enjoy it.

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
MtnKeeper said:
wow. just wow.
Nothing to say but that these people are morons!!!! You book a mountain getaway when you are afraid of the mountains and it's wildlife. Stay in the city people so you'll be happy and people who want my location can get the room that you've unhappily filled. By the way, even though we are set back on a large piece of property at the end of the driveway is a state road that is the main road to cross through our state. And in 2 minutes your up town with restaurants, a theatre, stores, etc. This isn't a REMOTE location, but the building is surrounded by trees (which might have bears, and lions and tigers oh my)!!!

name of owner
Owner and noise marshall
Jcam said:
Morticia said:
Stay in the woods.
and then there are the other guests.
Last night the couple in the cottage sat outside enjoying the evening probably with a bottle of wine, laughing, talking til midnight. I am happy they were enjoying what we offer. Few really enjoy it.
JBloggs said:
I am happy they were enjoying what we offer. Few really enjoy it.
So true. We had guests sitting in the living room with the fireplace going. They were playing trivia. They seemed very happy.

Back