OMG... Website!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the old host is GONE as we speak. Everything is moved over and the website is showing up just fine. Trying to check that everything works. One task now on my plate... redoing that slider.
I actually didn't do the original, it was done by the guy I hired to set up the website under the Karma theme. And it's very old. Not that I need to change much, but it's under a very old type of slider and maybe it's just time to redo a new one with a new plugin that's a little more modern..
Yes loading now. I would say get rid of the slider all together and go with one big hero image. People do not wait around to look at sliders they want to go in and get the information quickly. Alot of developers I chat with say sliders are OUT. If a client of mine wants one now..I will only do 2 images any more I people will just leave it. Here's an article about it: https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/
Thanks. I just replaced the slider because the old one was well... old. I looked at the themes out there. There is one thing in Avada's hotel theme that I really like...
avada%20capture.PNG
and I can't figure out how they do that box.... I WANT that box.
Instead of a hero image, I was thinking maybe putting the cityscape as the background image and then going with my room gallery below it. Unless I can figure out how they did that room gallery above... because if I can do that... I want that! Do I really have to buy that theme to do it? Because it's so tempting.

Well, the old host is GONE as we speak. Everything is moved over and the website is showing up just fine. Trying to check that everything works. One task now on my plate... redoing that slider.
I actually didn't do the original, it was done by the guy I hired to set up the website under the Karma theme. And it's very old. Not that I need to change much, but it's under a very old type of slider and maybe it's just time to redo a new one with a new plugin that's a little more modern..
Yes loading now. I would say get rid of the slider all together and go with one big hero image. People do not wait around to look at sliders they want to go in and get the information quickly. Alot of developers I chat with say sliders are OUT. If a client of mine wants one now..I will only do 2 images any more I people will just leave it. Here's an article about it: https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/
Thanks. I just replaced the slider because the old one was well... old. I looked at the themes out there. There is one thing in Avada's hotel theme that I really like...
avada%20capture.PNG
Instead of a hero image, I was thinking maybe putting the cityscape as the background image and then going with my room gallery below it. Unless I can figure out how they did that room gallery above... because if I can do that... I want that! Do I really have to buy that theme to do it? Because it's so tempting.
I don't think Karma will do it..but this is basically a BLURB set up..so Look into the builder for BLURBS and see if you can recreate similar. Avada one is nothing special REALLY, you can recreate it.

avada%20capture.PNG
I don't think Karma will do it..but this is basically a BLURB set up..so Look into the builder for BLURBS and see if you can recreate similar. Avada one is nothing special REALLY, you can recreate it.
Really? I'm obviously still missing something. I see the blurb in the centre (Residential, for example) but it's the box with the room at the top and the grey background at the bottom (unless that's actually the image that's behind it). Maybe it's just my imagination, I can't see it. But it just looks so good on the page.
I'm not really word if the theme is right. I'm trying to imagine how to do this visually, other than cheating by making the bottom part of the picture, which doesn't really make it responsive.
avada%20capture%202.PNG

avada%20capture.PNG
Really? I'm obviously still missing something. I see the blurb in the centre (Residential, for example) but it's the box with the room at the top and the grey background at the bottom (unless that's actually the image that's behind it). Maybe it's just my imagination, I can't see it. But it just looks so good on the page.
I'm not really word if the theme is right. I'm trying to imagine how to do this visually, other than cheating by making the bottom part of the picture, which doesn't really make it responsive.
avada%20capture%202.PNG

I will look tomorrow and get you a screen shot of how they do it

avada%20capture.PNG
avada%20capture%202.PNG

I like this, too. Clean and trendy.

avada%20capture.PNG
avada%20capture%202.PNG

Sorry your theme can't do anything like that:-(

avada%20capture.PNG
avada%20capture%202.PNG

Clean and trendy, you are speaking my name (even my haircut is clean and trendy).

avada%20capture.PNG
avada%20capture%202.PNG

I like it too! I usually don't go for the trendy look, but I like this one.

avada%20capture.PNG
avada%20capture%202.PNG

I managed to copy the picture with the description boxes below it. Haven't put it up, yet, but I did figure that part out. Didn't figure out the whole background thing... yet.

Sliders are OK, as long as you don't put important content into each slide, content that people will most likely miss.
So you can use sliders for their main purpose - as a slideshow of your photos, not offers or rooms. Then everything will be fine, if it doesn't take crucial real-estate.
Yoast is correct in being somewhat anti-sliders, but the themes that they are making are not good either.
Hotel webdesign is often a compromise between trends and usability: you should never go to one extreme or the other.

I did it. I put those changes LIVE on my main page. Only thing I'm not sure of is the line with text to signify two rooms are together. I'm trying something new with separator lines and text in the middle. And gradients on the separator lines. Eventually, I will figure out how to fix the colours on the buttons to match my standard colours, but I like that they aren't the same colour for a change.
I worked on that contact page, but I'm still not happy with it. I want to move it down to just three icons. Though, I'm wondering if I should figure out how to make the contact form only appear if you click on the button, rather than have it always appear on the page... to further discourage it.
Now, how to get people to stop asking price and availability in email?

Things still on my list....
  1. How to make a set of fill-in buttons that parse back the parameters to Reskey
  2. How to set up something that shows our reservations accept until date
  3. Maybe set up two dates on the contact form and automatically open a page with the reservations set for that page?
  4. Maybe a button on the contact form that they have to click that says "I understand that reservations and pricing are not available in email."
I found a fantastic plug-in for maps that I want to get. It will not just allow me better control of maps, but I can put in my own markers and not use those go GMaps, so someone else can't link to my maps.

I did it. I put those changes LIVE on my main page. Only thing I'm not sure of is the line with text to signify two rooms are together. I'm trying something new with separator lines and text in the middle. And gradients on the separator lines. Eventually, I will figure out how to fix the colours on the buttons to match my standard colours, but I like that they aren't the same colour for a change.
I worked on that contact page, but I'm still not happy with it. I want to move it down to just three icons. Though, I'm wondering if I should figure out how to make the contact form only appear if you click on the button, rather than have it always appear on the page... to further discourage it.

1. How to make a set of fill-in buttons that parse back the parameters to Reskey
  3. Maybe set up two dates on the contact form and automatically open a page with the reservations set for that page?
  4. Maybe a button on the contact form that they have to click that says "I understand that reservations and pricing are not available in email."
I found a fantastic plug-in for maps that I want to get. It will not just allow me better control of maps, but I can put in my own markers and not use those go GMaps, so someone else can't link to my maps..
Good job but you have some text sizing issues with some of the longer names on mobile phone.

I found a fantastic plug-in for maps that I want to get. It will not just allow me better control of maps, but I can put in my own markers and not use those go GMaps, so someone else can't link to my maps..
Good job but you have some text sizing issues with some of the longer names on mobile phone.
Hmm, I didn't seem to have them with my phone. I'm checking. Might have to wait until later as I'm supposed to go out to see mom.

Hmmm, it's only on intermediate devices. Okay, so I guess I need to figure that one out. Works on small phone and on large desktops. Just some small 7" ipads. Interesting. I wonder if there is a way to fix that. Or I'm going to have to go with a small font for all.

Hmmm, it's only on intermediate devices. Okay, so I guess I need to figure that one out. Works on small phone and on large desktops. Just some small 7" ipads. Interesting. I wonder if there is a way to fix that. Or I'm going to have to go with a small font for all.
I have iPhone 6 look up media queries for custom css

Thanks. I made the font a little smaller and added spaces. Wish there was a way to put in hidden hyphens.

Thanks. I made the font a little smaller and added spaces. Wish there was a way to put in hidden hyphens.
Just google " how to write media queries"

Back