On the other hand, sometimes we really love you

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish we had a public area where we could socialize with guests like this, or just with each other. We've looked at various options such as extensions and conservatories but just not viable..
Highlands John said:
I wish we had a public area where we could socialize with guests like this, or just with each other. We've looked at various options such as extensions and conservatories but just not viable.
Screen house? Fire pit?
No, not going to work. Firstly the house is built on the side of a hill so most of the garden is sloping, quite steeply in places. The second problem is that the house is situated in the centre of a rectangular property, the largest space being right in front of our private lounge, don't want guests sitting there. Third problem is the climate, if it's a light fabrication or outdoors it's going to be unusable for a large proportion of the time (even in summer), making it pointless.
Highlands John said:
No, not going to work. Firstly the house is built on the side of a hill so most of the garden is sloping, quite steeply in places. The second problem is that the house is situated in the centre of a rectangular property, the largest space being right in front of our private lounge, don't want guests sitting there. Third problem is the climate, if it's a light fabrication or outdoors it's going to be unusable for a large proportion of the time (even in summer), making it pointless.
A little tangent - do most B&B's have a common area? We have a living room for guests and a porch. I know one in town that has a dining room but no common living room. Is there a 'norm?'
We don't have a common area inside either. It's a shame, but we've looked at various possibilities over the years, but none work. Not really expected with a uk B&B, I don't think.
That has been our experience in the UK and Ireland. If we want something more than our room and, usually, a breakfast room, we have had to look for that in advance. We have found that there are more manor houses etc in France and bed and breakfast equivalents that are more like what we offer. Is that changing at all? Has there been any growth in the inn style of accommodations? We did stay at a place in Oban that was more of a full service option. Just got a note that they sold it and it is being returned to a residence.

I wish we had a public area where we could socialize with guests like this, or just with each other. We've looked at various options such as extensions and conservatories but just not viable..
Highlands John said:
I wish we had a public area where we could socialize with guests like this, or just with each other. We've looked at various options such as extensions and conservatories but just not viable.
Screen house? Fire pit?
Highlands John said:
A little tangent - do most B&B's have a common area? We have a living room for guests and a porch. I know one in town that has a dining room but no common living room. Is there a 'norm?'
We don't have a common area inside either. It's a shame, but we've looked at various possibilities over the years, but none work. Not really expected with a uk B&B, I don't think.
we have a large lounge but very rare anyone uses it as we don't have a TV in there - we rented it out for a bridal exhibition last week so that was a handy earner. We have toyed now and again with turning it in to 2 bedrooms but at the moment it is the only access from the car park so people would have to walk all the way round to the front (we are a terrace so it would be a bit of a treck)

Back