One night only !

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even accepting one night stays we are empty..
We do one night stays all days until Memorial Day weekend, then only Saturdays have a two night minimum.
This is going to be the worst April in the past 9 years! Prices were rock bottom low the whole month, starting at $115. Bookings for the first half of May are by far the worst in 12 years. The second half looks almost normal. June through October is down 33% from last year, which was a record year.
I hate to say it momma, but it helps me to know it's not just us. I think there is one place in town that has about half their usual numbers.
Yes, absolutely the worst spring ever. We've been here 13 years and even during the 2008-09 slump it wasn't this bad.
I agree, it's better to know it's not just us. And regretfully, I feel a bit better knowing that our closest competition is worse off. Their rezies from mid-May to October are 70% less than ours.... This is only their 4th year, but we knew the POs (actually our POs) that re-opened the new place in 07 after they sold us and they were doing gangbusters. And the NOs were doing just fine until this year too. They've upped their prices big time and are also on Bking.om. So OTAs aren't the reason. We're not on anything but TC. Have seen a big uptick in TC searches on RK. Also, I frantically searched Air and we are fortunate to have negligible listings anywhere near us. So that's not it either.
'Tis finally a beautious wkend here, we should be full.... then again, economic growth report just released for first quarter shows economy slip sliding away...
It's sunny and 80 where I am. Bringing the heat along with me when I go home tomorrow.
Were you in West Virginia? We had sun & 80 today.

I recently had ResKey start tacking on $5 on one-night stays. I know, not much, but it's something that adds up to an extra $25/week or so, and the amount is't a deal breaker for making the reservations.

We do one night stays all days until Memorial Day weekend, then only Saturdays have a two night minimum.
This is going to be the worst April in the past 9 years! Prices were rock bottom low the whole month, starting at $115. Bookings for the first half of May are by far the worst in 12 years. The second half looks almost normal. June through October is down 33% from last year, which was a record year.
I hate to say it momma, but it helps me to know it's not just us. I think there is one place in town that has about half their usual numbers.
Yes, absolutely the worst spring ever. We've been here 13 years and even during the 2008-09 slump it wasn't this bad.
I agree, it's better to know it's not just us. And regretfully, I feel a bit better knowing that our closest competition is worse off. Their rezies from mid-May to October are 70% less than ours.... This is only their 4th year, but we knew the POs (actually our POs) that re-opened the new place in 07 after they sold us and they were doing gangbusters. And the NOs were doing just fine until this year too. They've upped their prices big time and are also on Bking.om. So OTAs aren't the reason. We're not on anything but TC. Have seen a big uptick in TC searches on RK. Also, I frantically searched Air and we are fortunate to have negligible listings anywhere near us. So that's not it either.
'Tis finally a beautious wkend here, we should be full.... then again, economic growth report just released for first quarter shows economy slip sliding away...
It's sunny and 80 where I am. Bringing the heat along with me when I go home tomorrow.
gillumhouse said:
No, my second home - NY.

Do you think it's the Trump factor? I know most of our Europeans are on their way to Maine.
From what I have heard, the foreigners are choosing other places to visit. It seems they don't like the political climate here. That's a big hit for our area and has resulted in less funding for tourism on the state level. Plus, the dollar is strong so our area is more expensive for foreigners this year.
We have a destination location so I expect to see fewer foreigners this year. Those of you who who cater to tourists passing through may not experience the same impact.

Do you think it's the Trump factor? I know most of our Europeans are on their way to Maine.
From what I have heard, the foreigners are choosing other places to visit. It seems they don't like the political climate here. That's a big hit for our area and has resulted in less funding for tourism on the state level. Plus, the dollar is strong so our area is more expensive for foreigners this year.
We have a destination location so I expect to see fewer foreigners this year. Those of you who who cater to tourists passing through may not experience the same impact.
We have gotten quite a lots of foreign college students come due to not wanting to go home for vacations since they are afraid they won't be allowed back in. If you have colleges within a couple hours of you that have foreign exchange students, you might want to advertise there.
We are in a destination location as well and haven't seen a slump. PM me and I'll put your name out if any of our guests are heading your way.

gillumhouse said:
No, my second home - NY.
I figured you were elsewhere, but it was so unusual for us lately to have 80 and SUN! I had to comment.
We had a BIG thunder boomer last night and today it is cloudy again. It looks as if tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. I hope so because some are hoping to come on motorcycles.

gillumhouse said:
No, my second home - NY.
I figured you were elsewhere, but it was so unusual for us lately to have 80 and SUN! I had to comment.
We had a BIG thunder boomer last night and today it is cloudy again. It looks as if tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. I hope so because some are hoping to come on motorcycles.
I wish very much that I could be there tomorrow…. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

gillumhouse said:
No, my second home - NY.
I wish very much that I could be there tomorrow…. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Thank you. Need prayers tomorrow with everyone who will be there.

Morticia said:
This has been our worst spring ever, and I've been doing this for 20 years. I can't figure it out. May is off to a very slow start. We're not affected by Airbnb here, yet.

I'm in the Midwest and things have been very slow since January. I'm in a non tourist town. Air rentals here start at $55 per night and get rave reviews. So it's a factor here for me.
May is looking better but my April was the worst in 10 years.

I'm in the Midwest and things have been very slow since January. I'm in a non tourist town. Air rentals here start at $55 per night and get rave reviews. So it's a factor here for me.
May is looking better but my April was the worst in 10 years..
That stinks. Do you have recourse? Have you tattled to the town or county?

TheBeachHouse said:
Very little. The head of Tourism is a political appointee and exemplifies the Peter principle at its worst. He is upset with Air because our county's innkeeper tax pays his salary but doesn't know how to do anything about it.

TheBeachHouse said:
Very little. The head of Tourism is a political appointee and exemplifies the Peter principle at its worst. He is upset with Air because our county's innkeeper tax pays his salary but doesn't know how to do anything about it.
Airbnb made us read and check the box that said that we agree to follow the laws and guidelines of our state and city, etc. (guest house, B&B, short term rental, etc.) We could not continue to use their site until we did that. (last year) Most places show a picture of the outside along with a map. Do the work and then give yourself a raise, head of Tourism. You don't even need to make an account to view the listings.

I recently had ResKey start tacking on $5 on one-night stays. I know, not much, but it's something that adds up to an extra $25/week or so, and the amount is't a deal breaker for making the reservations..
Arks said:
I recently had ResKey start tacking on $5 on one-night stays. I know, not much, but it's something that adds up to an extra $25/week or so, and the amount is't a deal breaker for making the reservations.
Ohh! Can you make only two rooms one night stays and all the rest have to have two nights? We were going to make the switch but then our advisor went looking for another reservation site so we are waiting to see the outcome…. they still have reskey. Just checked.

I recently had ResKey start tacking on $5 on one-night stays. I know, not much, but it's something that adds up to an extra $25/week or so, and the amount is't a deal breaker for making the reservations..
Arks said:
Ohh! Can you make only two rooms one night stays and all the rest have to have two nights? We were going to make the switch but then our advisor went looking for another reservation site so we are waiting to see the outcome…. they still have reskey. Just checked.
Lee2014 said:
Ohh! Can you make only two rooms one night stays and all the rest have to have two nights?
Yes, you can do that in ResKey

Arks said:
Lee2014 said:
Ohh! Can you make only two rooms one night stays and all the rest have to have two nights?
Yes, you can do that in ResKey
I have been working with a really complicated site who I convinced to use RESKEY. It can do just about anything you want. Some special things can take alot of time to create, but it can be done.

Totally different market, but we occasionally open up orphan rooms for single nights. Otherwise, the two night MIN has made our jobs much easier and considering how a single night can muck up the chance for a long stay, I'm not sure we would be money ahead if we went back.
Even with a high nightly, it isn't worth it to us to do all we do for single night guests. We are looking at some other options if we think we need a boost. Fourth night free has worked well in the past.

Back