Opinion - Decorating Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if you use these now, but if you do, motel style bedspreads have got to go. Whether or not they are laundered frequently, the perception is that they are dirty. The moment I go into a motel/hotel room I pull that thing off and throw it in the corner on the floor. As much of a hassle as it can be, white is the color guests want to see. You can then use splashes of color and put on those scarfs at the bottom of the bed that have color.
Have you ever watched Hotel Impossible? You can stream them on Netflix. Before you do anything in your rooms, I would suggest you binge watch those. We've made some changes and it also gets us to step up our game because of Anthony's suggestions. It's amazing how his designers take an older motel room and modernize it but still give it a unique feel.
I would use the same color linens for all the rooms, but decorate with different colors.
When changing any decor, think minimal, uncluttered and create many flat, empty surfaces so the guests have plenty of space for their own things.
I think the most important thing is to have fun doing it. It's a great way to continue whatever theme your place has..
While I don't disagree with you I sort of got overuled by ideas from wife and daughter on my bedspread thoughts and since they do the work sometimes I know when to hush. Maybe our guests don't watch the program you mention as most seem to use the existing spreads. I expect we may also get a more varied group of guests than many on the forum.
JimBoone said:
I expect we may also get a more varied group of guests than many on the forum.
This has nothing to do with the different type of guests we get. It's from personal experience. Personally when I travel we stay at so many types of places. From Mom & Pop places to castles and everything in between. This is not about b&b guests.
I also agree with JB to rip out those carpets and put in some other kind of flooring. There are so many inexpensive flooring options now. We just ripped out the carpet in our cottage and put laminated hardwood flooring. It's so much easier to clean! Now that room became pet friendly with no worries.
I agree with BD and JB. No carpet. There is some lovely wood look vinyl which is laid in strips just like wood. We are in process of putting it in our church. Will be easier to care for than carpeting and for pet friendly rooms can be cleaned easily :) Or a wood laminate would work as well. You can use an area rug if you want to cozy up the place :)
Here's a look that was used in a newly restored inn here in our town.
flooring.jpg

It looks similarly to what my parents put down. It came in one piece from Lowe's and was vinyl but looked liked wood.

I don't know if you use these now, but if you do, motel style bedspreads have got to go. Whether or not they are laundered frequently, the perception is that they are dirty. The moment I go into a motel/hotel room I pull that thing off and throw it in the corner on the floor. As much of a hassle as it can be, white is the color guests want to see. You can then use splashes of color and put on those scarfs at the bottom of the bed that have color.
Have you ever watched Hotel Impossible? You can stream them on Netflix. Before you do anything in your rooms, I would suggest you binge watch those. We've made some changes and it also gets us to step up our game because of Anthony's suggestions. It's amazing how his designers take an older motel room and modernize it but still give it a unique feel.
I would use the same color linens for all the rooms, but decorate with different colors.
When changing any decor, think minimal, uncluttered and create many flat, empty surfaces so the guests have plenty of space for their own things.
I think the most important thing is to have fun doing it. It's a great way to continue whatever theme your place has..
While I don't disagree with you I sort of got overuled by ideas from wife and daughter on my bedspread thoughts and since they do the work sometimes I know when to hush. Maybe our guests don't watch the program you mention as most seem to use the existing spreads. I expect we may also get a more varied group of guests than many on the forum.
JimBoone said:
This has nothing to do with the different type of guests we get. It's from personal experience. Personally when I travel we stay at so many types of places. From Mom & Pop places to castles and everything in between. This is not about b&b guests.
I also agree with JB to rip out those carpets and put in some other kind of flooring. There are so many inexpensive flooring options now. We just ripped out the carpet in our cottage and put laminated hardwood flooring. It's so much easier to clean! Now that room became pet friendly with no worries.
I agree with BD and JB. No carpet. There is some lovely wood look vinyl which is laid in strips just like wood. We are in process of putting it in our church. Will be easier to care for than carpeting and for pet friendly rooms can be cleaned easily :) Or a wood laminate would work as well. You can use an area rug if you want to cozy up the place :)
flooring.jpg

It looks similarly to what my parents put down. It came in one piece from Lowe's and was vinyl but looked liked wood.
No this flooring is not one piece. It is laid in sections just like strips of wood but it is vinyl. The old style stuff was one piece. Would not use that!
I am not sure the guys who laid it did the best job of laying the pieces but you all get the idea.

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

No this flooring is not one piece. It is laid in sections just like strips of wood but it is vinyl. The old style stuff was one piece. Would not use that!
I am not sure the guys who laid it did the best job of laying the pieces but you all get the idea.
It is Linoleum flooring. New style back in 2014. Thick and strong.

I couldn't find Hotel Impossible on Net or Am last night, but I did find many full episodes on Y Tbe

I couldn't find Hotel Impossible on Net or Am last night, but I did find many full episodes on Y Tbe
Skamokawa said:
Looks like Netflix stopped them in 2015. You can watch full episodes on The Travel Channel Hotel Impossible

Skamokawa said:
Looks like Netflix stopped them in 2015. You can watch full episodes on The Travel Channel Hotel Impossible
Thanks. Couldn't help myself and watched 3 last night. Random shows and only one related to an inn property, far larger than most of ours, but seems like with problem pets - its so the owners. Couldn't take my eyes away from the 'train wrecks'
A few years ago I watched some of the Gordon Ramsey restaurant repair shows. A nearby restaurant was featured in a Ramsey show a couple of years ago. Haven't seen the show yet, but the local paper made much of the owner getting arrested for a DUI in front of the place the first night the camera crew was on the scene. The place closed before the show aired.

Skamokawa said:
Thanks. Couldn't help myself and watched 3 last night. Random shows and only one related to an inn property, far larger than most of ours, but seems like with problem pets - its so the owners. Couldn't take my eyes away from the 'train wrecks'
A few years ago I watched some of the Gordon Ramsey restaurant repair shows. A nearby restaurant was featured in a Ramsey show a couple of years ago. Haven't seen the show yet, but the local paper made much of the owner getting arrested for a DUI in front of the place the first night the camera crew was on the scene. The place closed before the show aired.
Yes, most of the properties are larger, but similar problems. You'll find that most of these places that are struggling have no online reservations or effective website, owners that have their heads in the sand and it's sad, but most never keep the suggestions Anthony makes.

I like variety.
Yes, Absolutely ... flooring. Good call, JB. Because of mud, wine, food spills, accidents of any kind, moisture ... pets! you name it. There were rooms I could not get 'fresh' no matter what cleaning I did. Ripping out carpet was the solution. You don't want to know what I discovered under the carpet and padding. And then repainting. Room by room.
Sheets and comforters ... I love white. Looks so crisp and fresh. Then add your colors to accent. They can be vibrant or subtle to match your mood or decor or season ... or switched around between the rooms.
BIGGEST mistake I made (and you did not mention this) was I had different size beds and sheet sets of varying colors ... but not dependent on bed size. And despite my best efforts to keep double sets, separate from queen sets, separate from king sets, they'd get mixed up. Such a waste of time figuring out that the pale green fitted sheet was the wrong size. When I bought them, the pale green seemed different enough from the forest green to easily tell the difference. It wasn't. ugh

I like variety.
Yes, Absolutely ... flooring. Good call, JB. Because of mud, wine, food spills, accidents of any kind, moisture ... pets! you name it. There were rooms I could not get 'fresh' no matter what cleaning I did. Ripping out carpet was the solution. You don't want to know what I discovered under the carpet and padding. And then repainting. Room by room.
Sheets and comforters ... I love white. Looks so crisp and fresh. Then add your colors to accent. They can be vibrant or subtle to match your mood or decor or season ... or switched around between the rooms.
BIGGEST mistake I made (and you did not mention this) was I had different size beds and sheet sets of varying colors ... but not dependent on bed size. And despite my best efforts to keep double sets, separate from queen sets, separate from king sets, they'd get mixed up. Such a waste of time figuring out that the pale green fitted sheet was the wrong size. When I bought them, the pale green seemed different enough from the forest green to easily tell the difference. It wasn't. ugh.
seashanty said:
BIGGEST mistake I made (and you did not mention this) was I had different size beds and sheet sets of varying colors ... but not dependent on bed size. And despite my best efforts to keep double sets, separate from queen sets, separate from king sets, they'd get mixed up. Such a waste of time figuring out that the pale green fitted sheet was the wrong size. When I bought them, the pale green seemed different enough from the forest green to easily tell the difference. It wasn't. ugh
The problem with comphy sheets in a nutshell, you nailed it. They don't realize we are laundering in not very well lit laundry rooms, or guest rooms without lights blasting on us. Beige and a pale green appear the same.
I too would say all white on everything, and everything the same size. cost and time, both would be saved.

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
We have linoleum. Great stuff! Somewhat more natural than the vinyl stuff. Ours shipped from Scotland.

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
We have linoleum. Great stuff! Somewhat more natural than the vinyl stuff. Ours shipped from Scotland.
also make sure its non slip!

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
Jcam said:
It has a fake wood grain in it which made people really believe that it was really true.

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
Jcam said:
It has a fake wood grain in it which made people really believe that it was really true.
We have some like that - but we have all sorts down, we have very small bathrooms so just get remnants from the local carpet shop much cheaper - works out about$70-80 a bathroom

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
Jcam said:
We have some like that - but we have all sorts down, we have very small bathrooms so just get remnants from the local carpet shop much cheaper - works out about$70-80 a bathroom
Carpet in a bathroom????? NEVER!

JimBoone said:
Because you are on here, my guess is you really care about your property. Gomez makes me stay at a motel when we travel to see the kid. The spreads in that motel should be burned. The backs are white and there are hideous stains all over them. On the floor they go. Then I wrap the edge of the sheet around the blanket and hope for the best.
Solid color bedding is the best. Those floral, stripey spreads are awful.
Yes, I do care, more than just the business, if a guest is staying then he/she is staying with Jim & Maxine and I've failed personally if that guest does not have a favorable experience, that said, I do still feel that motel guests, some of them anyway are different from the guests that might be attracted to a bed and breakfast.
Okay, most of our guests are super nice people and we constantly try to improve and upgrade our quality to attract them, but we still get one night guests that just drive up, prices, mid-week especially tend to be lower. I'm thinking of worse cases over many years, but the work crew that felt it was necessary to drag all their dirty ladders and equipment into the room rather than leave them in the truck, the guys that left 50 plus beer bottles in the room and felt the need to peel the labels off and stick them around the walls, we get all kinds of folks.
When I think colors, design, and quality, well I always want it to be improving, but I still have to keep in mind that not everyone appreciates the effort and temper what I would like to be with the business that I actually get so at times my result is a compromise.

I think having different bedding in the rooms would be nice and might encourage repeat guests to 'try a different room'. Set yourselves a bit apart from the 'standard' motel look. (Except you really should have those metal chairs outside that everyone remembers from the 50's-60's!)
Fresh paint goes a loooong way to making everything perk up. Maybe all the same bedding colors for the same size beds? (Like generic said that makes it easier for housekeeping.) With that pop of color that was mentioned by having throw pillows or different pictures on the walls.
I think I'd stick with the same color flooring in each room because it's cheaper to buy it that way. Whether it's carpet or tile..
Except for a twin bed in our two largest rooms (sort of a permanent roll-a-way) all beds and linen are the same, pale green linen, next swap would probably go back to white. Have ordered some throw pillows to add that flash of color.
Hopefully carpet folks will come look today, I wouldn't be purchasing in roll quantity and I don't think the shape and size of the rooms are such that changing colors between rooms will matter much with cost. Thinking two choices, [a] have the carpet shop do the work using maybe a mix of red, green and blue in different rooms or a grey carpet with some bronze highlights (cheaper from big box store) and lay it myself as I paint the rooms, estimate 75 or 80% less than the carpet shop, but more work on me.
I like some of those old metal chairs, but present porch benches are heavy wood as I got tired of chasing the plastic chairs around the parking lot during the winter, I'd wake up to a whoosh and look out to find the chairs in a pile.

JimBoone said:
Hopefully carpet folks will come look today, I wouldn't be purchasing in roll quantity and I don't think the shape and size of the rooms are such that changing colors between rooms will matter much with cost. Thinking two choices, [a] have the carpet shop do the work using maybe a mix of red, green and blue in different rooms or a grey carpet with some bronze highlights (cheaper from big box store) and lay it myself as I paint the rooms, estimate 75 or 80% less than the carpet shop, but more work on me.

I would pay to not have carpet in a hotel/motel.
You aren't asking about this, but you are asking...there are so many other options these days and you can sweep it up, wipe it down, and not stain or absorb smells. (This says ME who had to fork out bucks yesterday to have some carpets cleaned by the steamer guys, which I would rather never ever do! and it is on the list to be torn out).

JBloggs said:
JimBoone said:

You aren't asking about this, but you are asking...there are so many other options these days and you can sweep it up, wipe it down, and not stain or absorb smells. (This says ME who had to fork out bucks yesterday to have some carpets cleaned by the steamer guys, which I would rather never ever do! and it is on the list to be torn out).

Totally agree! Check the other options for flooring. If we had good between floor insulation I'd rip the carpet out next week.

Morticia said:
Totally agree! Check the other options for flooring. If we had good between floor insulation I'd rip the carpet out next week.
Imagine being pet friendly at that point, people would stop from NY/NJ to FLA - half way if they could have their pet stay there, I get calls ALL THE TIME. Today, I had one. You could double your rates if you allowed pets, not kidding.

For us pet friendly really isn't a good option, allergies, asthma, breathing issues, breathing machine, oxygen machine. If there is a breathing medication on the market, I'd bet it is on the shelf or been tried in the past.

JimBoone said:
Because you are on here, my guess is you really care about your property. Gomez makes me stay at a motel when we travel to see the kid. The spreads in that motel should be burned. The backs are white and there are hideous stains all over them. On the floor they go. Then I wrap the edge of the sheet around the blanket and hope for the best.
Solid color bedding is the best. Those floral, stripey spreads are awful.
Yes, I do care, more than just the business, if a guest is staying then he/she is staying with Jim & Maxine and I've failed personally if that guest does not have a favorable experience, that said, I do still feel that motel guests, some of them anyway are different from the guests that might be attracted to a bed and breakfast.
Okay, most of our guests are super nice people and we constantly try to improve and upgrade our quality to attract them, but we still get one night guests that just drive up, prices, mid-week especially tend to be lower. I'm thinking of worse cases over many years, but the work crew that felt it was necessary to drag all their dirty ladders and equipment into the room rather than leave them in the truck, the guys that left 50 plus beer bottles in the room and felt the need to peel the labels off and stick them around the walls, we get all kinds of folks.
When I think colors, design, and quality, well I always want it to be improving, but I still have to keep in mind that not everyone appreciates the effort and temper what I would like to be with the business that I actually get so at times my result is a compromise.
We all get people who should never have left home!
Gomez's dad used to travel for work and he always booked his work crew into a motel near their work site. They stayed Monday-Friday. The owner made them lunch every day.
5 years after his dad died (on the job) Gomez walked into that same motel totally by accident. The owners thought they were seeing a ghost. They were so happy to meet him.
Gomez now has a deep affinity for motels.

JimBoone said:
flooring.jpg

Duff2014 said:
Jcam said:
Carpet in a bathroom????? NEVER!
you missed the earlier bit - remnants of lino (ie off cuts) which are sold by the local carpet shop as they do carpet, lino, wood laminate and pretty much any kind of floor covering you can think off - plus fitting.
And yes no carpet in bathrooms BLEUGH!

I think having different bedding in the rooms would be nice and might encourage repeat guests to 'try a different room'. Set yourselves a bit apart from the 'standard' motel look. (Except you really should have those metal chairs outside that everyone remembers from the 50's-60's!)
Fresh paint goes a loooong way to making everything perk up. Maybe all the same bedding colors for the same size beds? (Like generic said that makes it easier for housekeeping.) With that pop of color that was mentioned by having throw pillows or different pictures on the walls.
I think I'd stick with the same color flooring in each room because it's cheaper to buy it that way. Whether it's carpet or tile..
Except for a twin bed in our two largest rooms (sort of a permanent roll-a-way) all beds and linen are the same, pale green linen, next swap would probably go back to white. Have ordered some throw pillows to add that flash of color.
I like some of those old metal chairs, but present porch benches are heavy wood as I got tired of chasing the plastic chairs around the parking lot during the winter, I'd wake up to a whoosh and look out to find the chairs in a pile.

JimBoone said:

JBloggs said:
JimBoone said:

Morticia said:
Imagine being pet friendly at that point, people would stop from NY/NJ to FLA - half way if they could have their pet stay there, I get calls ALL THE TIME. Today, I had one. You could double your rates if you allowed pets, not kidding.

For us pet friendly really isn't a good option, allergies, asthma, breathing issues, breathing machine, oxygen machine. If there is a breathing medication on the market, I'd bet it is on the shelf or been tried in the past.

JimBoone said:
For us pet friendly really isn't a good option, allergies, asthma, breathing issues, breathing machine, oxygen machine.
You just nailed the exact reasons people suffer with carpet, Jim.

Back