Perfectly Poached Eggs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wonderful egg poacher from Williams-Sonoma. The eggs cook perfectly in 4 mins.
Egg-Poacher-Williams-Sonoma_7DCBA5B5.jpg
I love mine too. Is yours an induction also? Country Girl sure do love your flower((())))

I have a wonderful egg poacher from Williams-Sonoma. The eggs cook perfectly in 4 mins.
Egg-Poacher-Williams-Sonoma_7DCBA5B5.jpg
I love mine too. Is yours an induction also? Country Girl sure do love your flower((())))
Flower said:
Thanks! That is a Double Delight Rose and it is one of my favorites! You may like this poem that was probably written about it.
A White Rose
The red rose whispers of passion,
And the white rose breathes of love;
O, the red rose is a falcon,
And the white rose is a dove.
But I send you a cream-white rosebud
With a flush on its petal tips;
For the love that is purest and sweetest
Has a kiss of desire on the lips
~ John Boyle O’Reilly

I'll try this method, parcooking the egg. I like eggs poached in water - as opposed to in cups - for breakfast and for dishes like salade Lyonnaise. The way I deal with the white running off is to use an English muffin ring, or a water chestnut tin can with both ends cut off. Place the ring in a large saute pan with an inch of boiling water, crack the egg inside the ring and poach. The ring limits the white escaping, and it holds the egg in place so I can slip a spatula underneath, lift and pause to allow water to drain. The top of the ring is cool enough for a cook to handle lightly with bare hands. The eggs are slippery devils when you are working fast and the ring is perfect to hold the egg on the spatula inside the ring until it is over the plate..
I did try it and it works.
Rather than do a separate cook, I brought my pan of 1 inch deep water to a boil and then lowered the egg-in-shell in to it and pushed it around for ... 15 to 20 seconds to parcook.
It did indeed hold together when cracked into the same water to poach.

I'll try this method, parcooking the egg. I like eggs poached in water - as opposed to in cups - for breakfast and for dishes like salade Lyonnaise. The way I deal with the white running off is to use an English muffin ring, or a water chestnut tin can with both ends cut off. Place the ring in a large saute pan with an inch of boiling water, crack the egg inside the ring and poach. The ring limits the white escaping, and it holds the egg in place so I can slip a spatula underneath, lift and pause to allow water to drain. The top of the ring is cool enough for a cook to handle lightly with bare hands. The eggs are slippery devils when you are working fast and the ring is perfect to hold the egg on the spatula inside the ring until it is over the plate..
Rather than do a separate cook, I brought my pan of 1 inch deep water to a boil and then lowered the egg-in-shell in to it and pushed it around for ... 15 to 20 seconds to parcook.
THAT is great to know. I tried to push a pin through my egg and it was so strong, the pin broke. So, again, we had soft boiled eggs for breakfast.
I am so glad this worked for you

THAT is great to know. I tried to push a pin through my egg and it was so strong, the pin broke. So, again, we had soft boiled eggs for breakfast.
Iris said:
I tried to push a pin through my egg and it was so strong, the pin broke...
Note that in the photo on the instruction page they used a heavy safety pin, not a thin straight pin, to make the hole.
I did it like Tom, gave it 15 seconds in the boiling water rather than the "exactly 10 seconds" mentioned in the instructions. I don't know how they can say "exactly 10 seconds" when there are variables like egg size and altitude (water boils at lower temperature at higher altitude).
Also like Tom, I prefer to eat an egg that was poached in water. It does make a difference to us egg connoisseurs. :)
It was the most beautiful poached egg I've ever made, though there were still a few streaks of white that escaped. Next time I'll try 20 seconds.
I was afraid the egg would be hot to handle as I opened it to drop it into the water, but it wasn't a problem at all. Thank you Julia Child!

Iris said:
I tried to push a pin through my egg and it was so strong, the pin broke...
Note that in the photo on the instruction page they used a heavy safety pin, not a thin straight pin, to make the hole.
I did it like Tom, gave it 15 seconds in the boiling water rather than the "exactly 10 seconds" mentioned in the instructions. I don't know how they can say "exactly 10 seconds" when there are variables like egg size and altitude (water boils at lower temperature at higher altitude).
Also like Tom, I prefer to eat an egg that was poached in water. It does make a difference to us egg connoisseurs. :)
It was the most beautiful poached egg I've ever made, though there were still a few streaks of white that escaped. Next time I'll try 20 seconds.
I was afraid the egg would be hot to handle as I opened it to drop it into the water, but it wasn't a problem at all. Thank you Julia Child!
Best egg-pricker is a plastic headed push pin: easy to grip, short, stiff, sharp.
Biggest variable with cooking eggs is how cold they are to start - straight from fridge or on counter for an hour makes a difference.

Today's poached eggs were the best I have made myself. No "fly-away" whites = perfection.
I took Tom's advice and used a pushpin. That worked swimmingly
I agree with Arks and let the eggs simmer for 20 exactly any shorter and I don't think it would have worked.

Back