Photography Weekends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give anything to be taken away for a weekend, I would love to sit and relax and read a book!
I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
I would give anything to be taken away for a weekend, I would love to sit and relax and read a book!
I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :)
You and me both. But you know as well as I do that there are millions of people out there who cannot sit still. I would love to go to some sort of 'convention' where Gomez was out conventioneering and I got to sightsee. Last time I did that, I hopped in my rental car and drove the PCH from SF to Carmel. WONDERFUL! I ate brekkie with the locals at a diner, met Willie Nelson, had a terrific time.
I think your blog idea was a good one! How to do nothing is excellent advice. But, you know how you're going to feel if someone is sitting in the parlor all day long and they want to chew your ear off! Get 'em out of the house!

I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :).
"HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B"
The problem with that is that they are THERE all day, meaning underfoot or just there so you cannot do anything that will be a messy or noisy task and they will be there to be chatty cathy or needy....... People get bored easily and quickly.
Exactly. Educational trips are entirely different from general getaways; participants have an expectation of activities.
If the plan is for them to sit around the inn while hubby is driving his own required car, not a good plan. If the plan is for them to enjoy activities in town that are within walking distance of the inn, let them know. Have a list of those things ready to go.
Some spouses will attend if given the option. They may very well want to relax but they don't want to sit around all day. They will quickly degenerate into needy guests if some activities of some kind are not planned out for them.
The fact that an inn doesn't normally do these things for guests doesn't really impact an educational getaway.
If you are selling it, you want it to be a success because it will reflect on your inn. If the photographer is selling it, much (but not all) of that pressure is off. If he does a great job, he'll already be thinking of these things. If he doesn't have a checklist of things that the inn would be taking care of, that's a sign he has not thought of all of the things that will impact the success of the weekend.
So I would ask him how he's done these things before. If he did them at another inn, I would call the innkeeper and ask what he/she would do differently next time if they did it again.
Starting out, you want to know what the photographer can/will do and what you would do, who would sell it, and what would happen if it doesn't sell out.
The photographer may tell you it's the same fee no matter what - but that means the inn is absorbing all of the risk for the workshop selling. So then the inn is stuck with the decision about what to do if only 1/2 the expected number sign up.

The problem with that is that they are THERE all day, meaning underfoot or just there so you cannot do anything that will be a messy or noisy task and they will be there to be chatty cathy or needy....... People get bored easily and quickly.
gillumhouse said:
I'm sorry, I am just on a totally different train of thought than most of the forum today. Totally. I am not sure what underfoot means on here today, I do what I do and have my quarters.
I just put together a blog on Doing Nothing at our B&B - not specifically what to do or not to do - but mentioning we can even deliver breakfast to your room so you can do nothing about walking downstairs. I have it set to post in end Jan.

Joey Bloggs said:
I still have not blogged that idea...I think I asked for ideas here and then never finished it "HOW TO DO NOTHING AT THE XYZ B&B" a list of doing nothing. I did a similar blog article, but not specifically on nothing. :)
You and me both. But you know as well as I do that there are millions of people out there who cannot sit still. I would love to go to some sort of 'convention' where Gomez was out conventioneering and I got to sightsee. Last time I did that, I hopped in my rental car and drove the PCH from SF to Carmel. WONDERFUL! I ate brekkie with the locals at a diner, met Willie Nelson, had a terrific time.
I think your blog idea was a good one! How to do nothing is excellent advice. But, you know how you're going to feel if someone is sitting in the parlor all day long and they want to chew your ear off! Get 'em out of the house!
The parlor is for the guests, they can sit there til the cows come home. Perhaps it is our set up that is diff to most, the parlor is at the front of the house, I don't cut through there or any of that, they can have it, and in fact I wish they would enjoy it more!
A guest who showed up the other day for this wedding group asked me at check in "Where is such and such" and I told her I don't know, I don';t keep track of the guests. She asked again, "Is such and such here? Are they in their room?" I replied again, I don't know, but you are welcome to go and find them.

gillumhouse said:
I'm sorry, I am just on a totally different train of thought than most of the forum today. Totally. I am not sure what underfoot means on here today, I do what I do and have my quarters.
I just put together a blog on Doing Nothing at our B&B - not specifically what to do or not to do - but mentioning we can even deliver breakfast to your room so you can do nothing about walking downstairs. I have it set to post in end Jan.
'Underfoot' around here means they are sitting in the living room constantly wanting to talk to me as I try to clean. Or following me around, which doesn't happen as often as it used to. Or sitting in their room telling me I can clean when spouse gets back and they go out for dinner.
My common space is pretty centrally located so I do have to walk thru to get to any other part of the house.
I know you don't get this as a guest because you research. I was just playing devil's advocate and pointing out the more you take care of up front, the less you have to deal with down the line.

gillumhouse said:
I agree with Morticia re underfoot. You know what a common area I do not have. I want them gone for the day please.
In my explanations of what it was like to be the spouse I was saying what it is for the spouse who goes to make their partner happy (I would have had no objection to DH going alone but he needed me to be pack horse and taking care of him to be honest). Also relaxing means different things to different people - to some it means sleeping or reading or staring into space. To me it means doing what I want, when, and if I have gone somewhere that does not mean just sitting around. I want to see things there and do things that are not available where I live. I think if Joey gives a list of what is available (a separate copy of what is in the room book which may or may not even get opened) and has the link on the Specials to her things to do page, nothing more s/b needed. She will have covered it and not need to do anything else.

Back