Pillow Chocolates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We almost always put cookies/cake/brownies out around 3:00 pm in the guest living room and the cottage. We don't advertise this amenity since there are days I am just too busy to bake and can't get to it. When we have guests who take advantage of the sweets in the afternoon I make sure to provide them. Sometimes, I put them out and no one even gives them a second look.
For 23 years we put chocolates, individually wrapped, on the pillow. A couple of years ago I stopped doing that as an experiment and....you know what I found? It does not make any difference if there are chocolates or if there are not. No one misses them when they are not there and no one remarks on them when they are. So as a business decision I have eliminated the chocolates from the pillows. If I come across a sale I will buy some good quality chocolate and put it in the candy dish in the main house, but otherwise it's one less thing to have to deal with.
But I am intrigued by the personalized mold. I swear half of the things we all do just plain makes US feel good. I'm not sure most guests would appreciate all the work and expense but if you get a kick out making your own chocolate treats then GO FOR IT!
thumbs_up.gif

I buy glassine envelopes for our business/welcome cards. Maybe they would work for the chocolates as well?

We almost always put cookies/cake/brownies out around 3:00 pm in the guest living room and the cottage. We don't advertise this amenity since there are days I am just too busy to bake and can't get to it. When we have guests who take advantage of the sweets in the afternoon I make sure to provide them. Sometimes, I put them out and no one even gives them a second look.
For 23 years we put chocolates, individually wrapped, on the pillow. A couple of years ago I stopped doing that as an experiment and....you know what I found? It does not make any difference if there are chocolates or if there are not. No one misses them when they are not there and no one remarks on them when they are. So as a business decision I have eliminated the chocolates from the pillows. If I come across a sale I will buy some good quality chocolate and put it in the candy dish in the main house, but otherwise it's one less thing to have to deal with.
But I am intrigued by the personalized mold. I swear half of the things we all do just plain makes US feel good. I'm not sure most guests would appreciate all the work and expense but if you get a kick out making your own chocolate treats then GO FOR IT!
thumbs_up.gif

I buy glassine envelopes for our business/welcome cards. Maybe they would work for the chocolates as well?.
Silverspoon said:
I swear half of the things we all do just plain makes US feel good. I'm not sure most guests would appreciate all the work and expense but if you get a kick out of...
You got it! A lot of what we do is not so much for the guests as for ourselves, wanting to make things the way we think they should be, the way we would like them to be if WE were the guest.

Hi, we are new here, but I thought I'd chime in and say that we put a big jar of jelly beans ( jelly belly) out every evening. Our jar has a spoon attatched for easy dipping! Guests seem to love them. Since we are dog friendly chocolates in the rooms are just trouble in the making. ❤️

Hi, we are new here, but I thought I'd chime in and say that we put a big jar of jelly beans ( jelly belly) out every evening. Our jar has a spoon attatched for easy dipping! Guests seem to love them. Since we are dog friendly chocolates in the rooms are just trouble in the making. ❤️.
Camge said:
Hi, we are new here, but I thought I'd chime in and say that we put a big jar of jelly beans ( jelly belly) out every evening. Our jar has a spoon attatched for easy dipping! Guests seem to love them. Since we are dog friendly chocolates in the rooms are just trouble in the making. ❤️
I don't want to be gross, but have you seen the jelly belly game? It is for teens and tweens and not really for adults unless they are trying to outdo their kids. Here is a link *you may get pina colada or you may get skunk. https://jellybelly.com/product/441

I think the game uses the Bertie Botts (Harry Potter) jelly bellies that have super gross flavors. We use the regular ones.
we return to Costco frequently to get the giant size.

I think the game uses the Bertie Botts (Harry Potter) jelly bellies that have super gross flavors. We use the regular ones.
we return to Costco frequently to get the giant size..
Camge said:
we return to Costco frequently to get the giant size.
Oh I am sure you don't use those ones, just thought I would mention as I forgot and you reminded me about them. I think I had pencil shavings when I played it, that was okay. Yeah pretty icky stuff. Funny tho.
Terrific I did it to myself. Now I have targeted ads from jelly belly everywhere...sheesh will I ever learn! ha

thumbs_up.gif

I buy glassine envelopes for our business/welcome cards. Maybe they would work for the chocolates as well?.
Silverspoon said:
I swear half of the things we all do just plain makes US feel good. I'm not sure most guests would appreciate all the work and expense but if you get a kick out of...
You got it! A lot of what we do is not so much for the guests as for ourselves, wanting to make things the way we think they should be, the way we would like them to be if WE were the guest.
When I do Aspiring Workshops, I tell them to think of what YOU would like to have in a room as a guide to what amenities you should provide.

thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
When I do Aspiring Workshops, I tell them to think of what YOU would like to have in a room as a guide to what amenities you should provide.
gillumhouse said:
YES! I would like 10 of these chocolates please.
shades_smile.gif
Actually Arks should go to that local toffee company and get his place branded on it and have a specialty blend made up. That is what I would do. Kill two birds with one stone, gimmeeeeee more of that toffee!

thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
gillumhouse said:
shades_smile.gif
Actually Arks should go to that local toffee company and get his place branded on it and have a specialty blend made up. That is what I would do. Kill two birds with one stone, gimmeeeeee more of that toffee!
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
shades_smile.gif
That is why I have Kisses and fruit on the dressers - chocolate for ME and fruit for him.

$3.20 for one night, one tiny chocolate each, yikes!
Of if you are inclined you can use a signature mold yourself or order one and melt and fill (they sell all of the microwavable melting chocolates at all grocery stores)
https://www.ckproducts.com/products/9263/PERSONALIZED-MINT-MOLD-90-PERS-/1180.
Joey Bloggs said:
...use a signature mold yourself or order one and melt and fill...
Yes I guess that's what this company is doing. They probably buy bulk chocolate and melt it and press it with molds they make. Much better to DIY if you have the time and energy...which in my case means it probably won't get done!
but how do you wrap them?
Beach House - check any dollar store in the wedding section. They usually have lots of different options for "wrapping" confections for reception favors - little favor boxes, silky type little draw string bags, etc. I used them for more expensive turndown chocolates for guests staying for special occasions. Otherwise, I had various little crystal dishes that I placed on the bedside table for the regular turndown chocolates.

$3.20 for one night, one tiny chocolate each, yikes!
Of if you are inclined you can use a signature mold yourself or order one and melt and fill (they sell all of the microwavable melting chocolates at all grocery stores)
https://www.ckproducts.com/products/9263/PERSONALIZED-MINT-MOLD-90-PERS-/1180.
Joey Bloggs said:
...use a signature mold yourself or order one and melt and fill...
Yes I guess that's what this company is doing. They probably buy bulk chocolate and melt it and press it with molds they make. Much better to DIY if you have the time and energy...which in my case means it probably won't get done!
but how do you wrap them?
Beach House - check any dollar store in the wedding section. They usually have lots of different options for "wrapping" confections for reception favors - little favor boxes, silky type little draw string bags, etc. I used them for more expensive turndown chocolates for guests staying for special occasions. Otherwise, I had various little crystal dishes that I placed on the bedside table for the regular turndown chocolates.
A C Moo re has that stuff also

Back