Please verify

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am finding that we must double and triple check our plans these days when we travel. That is especially true when we are really busy and then traveling immediately after. We have tried a small amount of winging it with everything on the phone, but mostly I still print out stuff and make a folder to bring with us.
There have been a few cases where having the confirmation or receipt has saved the day. Lost car and hotel reservations, airline tickets that got canceled mid-trip, baggage that doesn't make it. Fortunately, not all those things at once, but it does happen. Strangely, I do not recall this happening with one of our guests. I wonder if our email 3 days prior helps..
They were sent a reminder email 5 days ago. They were sent a confirmation of their dinner reservation for the day they aren't going to be here.
They made these plans and now insist they didn't.
They had the confirmation in hand when they called. It's still our fault. We changed the date on them. Sigh.
Madeleine said:
They were sent a reminder email 5 days ago. They were sent a confirmation of their dinner reservation for the day they aren't going to be here.
They had the confirmation in hand when they called. It's still our fault. We changed the date on them. Sigh.
Of course they didn't think they needed to call you to correct the error. Just show up a day early and think all can be pushed up?

I sure hope you charged them. They are adults, they were able to read when they made the reservation & added the extras. It is not your fault they chose NOT to read the confirmation.
As Arks said, HE paid $200 for his mistake! The airlines are not going to take a loss and neither should you.

I sure hope that blogger finds this thread and writes about this Bob & Emily problem. If you do blogger, please make sure you remind the guest to READ their confirmation & CALL if it doesn't match what you THINK you booked.
wink_smile.gif

One thing that came to mind in reading this is that this is why we really try to find ways for our guests to book on line without us. They get an instant confirmation of what they did and there is no way for them to even suggest the inn keeper changed the date. They have to agree to our policies and we instantly confirm they have.
If innkeepers aren't following a set of firm and consistent basic guidelines, they are bringing unnecessary grief into their world.
I'm not being argumentative here but we have also had guests who made their own online reservations claim that we changed the dates when they either showed up days late or a week early.
It's a matter of taking responsibility which fewer guests seem to do.
In 10 years I think maybe 5 guests have called to say they got the date wrong, very sorry, is there any chance we have a room open for the correct date.
All the others either showed up on the wrong day or claimed ignorance when we called after them not showing up.
Madeleine said:
I'm not being argumentative here but we have also had guests who made their own online reservations claim that we changed the dates when they either showed up days late or a week early.
I can't see how they can do that, you send a confirmation, if the date is wrong it's their responsibility to get it corrected. I always tell people that we send a confirmation and if they've not receivd it in 24 hour they must let me know, online booking system says the same thing. That covers me for people claiming they never got the confirmation.
My online system has the same info. First line in the confirmation encourages the guest to check the dates. On the phone I say to expect the email that evening and to call if not received.
There's not much else I can do. They get multiple points of contact from us with all their details.
My guess is that guests coming from a couple of hours away just aren't as careful about the date. Altho this couple was from out of the country so that I don't get at all. They had all their other reservations made correctly, so they told me.
My guess is that there is a lot more you could do, but if you are determining that there is nothing more you can do, that's up to you.
happykeeper said:
My guess is that there is a lot more you could do, but if you are determining that there is nothing more you can do, that's up to you.
Other than personally talking to them? Sending them the confirmation? Resending a welcome email a few days before? Sending the dinner confirmation with the restaurant phone number and maitre d's name? Sending a taxi to the train to greet them? Never leaving the house so I can be here when confused people show up?
Should I harass them on their vacation by calling them? Texting them asking when they will be arriving? Calling after I send the confirmation to make sure they got it? Demanding they reply back to say that it is perfectly clear to them what they got themselves into by booking here?
Give me a break already.
Whoa Nelly! So if your long list doesn't result in a solution, do you just throw in the towel, blame the guests, and do it all over again?
Not to jump in the middle, but do you have a concrete suggestion?
It seems to me that at some point, the onus IS on the guests.

Yes as busy as people are these days, you have to really triple-check before reserving anything.
The worst thing I've ever done was book a flight to Atlanta, arriving at 11 a.m., meaning to book a return flight at 1 p.m. 3 days later, but I mistakenly booked a return on the say day I arrived, so I had just 2 hours in Atlanta!
It cost me about $200 to change the reservation. Lesson well learned! I triple check dates and times now..
Arks said:
Yes as busy as people are these days, you have to really triple-check before reserving anything.
The worst thing I've ever done was book a flight to Atlanta, arriving at 11 a.m., meaning to book a return flight at 1 p.m. 3 days later, but I mistakenly booked a return on the say day I arrived, so I had just 2 hours in Atlanta!
It cost me about $200 to change the reservation. Lesson well learned! I triple check dates and times now.
I booked a round trip flight to Norfolk, VA for 2. I was just about to hit confirm and was rereading the booking when I realized I wanted to be in Roanoke, not Norfolk. Came thiiiiiis close.

It cost me about $200 to change the reservation. Lesson well learned! I triple check dates and times now..
On our way to the US in February we stopped overnight at a hotel near Edinburgh airport. We arrived there at 10pm to discover I'd booked the 12th March instead of 12th February. It was sheer luck that we managed to get a room.
In my defense...... because February is a 28 day month the 12th March is the same day of the week as 12th feb.
A family event has been announced in March in Las Vegas, I had a 1 night booking for the week we are going so I found her a room somewhere else, emailed her very apologetic, told her I'd transfer the booking and deposit if it was ok with her. Next morning she phoned, as soon as she told me her name I was expecting disgruntled guest, instead she apologized to me, she had meant to book June and it was only when she saw my email that she realized she'd booked the wrong month. Booking moved, everybody happy bunnies.
Yea, win/win

I am finding that we must double and triple check our plans these days when we travel. That is especially true when we are really busy and then traveling immediately after. We have tried a small amount of winging it with everything on the phone, but mostly I still print out stuff and make a folder to bring with us.
There have been a few cases where having the confirmation or receipt has saved the day. Lost car and hotel reservations, airline tickets that got canceled mid-trip, baggage that doesn't make it. Fortunately, not all those things at once, but it does happen. Strangely, I do not recall this happening with one of our guests. I wonder if our email 3 days prior helps..
Madeleine said:
Of course they didn't think they needed to call you to correct the error. Just show up a day early and think all can be pushed up?

I sure hope you charged them. They are adults, they were able to read when they made the reservation & added the extras. It is not your fault they chose NOT to read the confirmation.
As Arks said, HE paid $200 for his mistake! The airlines are not going to take a loss and neither should you.

I sure hope that blogger finds this thread and writes about this Bob & Emily problem. If you do blogger, please make sure you remind the guest to READ their confirmation & CALL if it doesn't match what you THINK you booked.
wink_smile.gif

One thing that came to mind in reading this is that this is why we really try to find ways for our guests to book on line without us. They get an instant confirmation of what they did and there is no way for them to even suggest the inn keeper changed the date. They have to agree to our policies and we instantly confirm they have.
If innkeepers aren't following a set of firm and consistent basic guidelines, they are bringing unnecessary grief into their world.
In 10 years I think maybe 5 guests have called to say they got the date wrong, very sorry, is there any chance we have a room open for the correct date.
All the others either showed up on the wrong day or claimed ignorance when we called after them not showing up.
Madeleine said:
I can't see how they can do that, you send a confirmation, if the date is wrong it's their responsibility to get it corrected. I always tell people that we send a confirmation and if they've not receivd it in 24 hour they must let me know, online booking system says the same thing. That covers me for people claiming they never got the confirmation.
My online system has the same info. First line in the confirmation encourages the guest to check the dates. On the phone I say to expect the email that evening and to call if not received.
There's not much else I can do. They get multiple points of contact from us with all their details.
My guess is that guests coming from a couple of hours away just aren't as careful about the date. Altho this couple was from out of the country so that I don't get at all. They had all their other reservations made correctly, so they told me.
happykeeper said:
Other than personally talking to them? Sending them the confirmation? Resending a welcome email a few days before? Sending the dinner confirmation with the restaurant phone number and maitre d's name? Sending a taxi to the train to greet them? Never leaving the house so I can be here when confused people show up?
Should I harass them on their vacation by calling them? Texting them asking when they will be arriving? Calling after I send the confirmation to make sure they got it? Demanding they reply back to say that it is perfectly clear to them what they got themselves into by booking here?
Give me a break already.
Whoa Nelly! So if your long list doesn't result in a solution, do you just throw in the towel, blame the guests, and do it all over again?
Actually, thanks for adding your thoughts.
I am just saying that if we are having repeated problems with a part of our business model, we will take a look at it in more detail, try a variety of solutions, and see what we can do to eliminate the problem.
  • How is our confirmation worded?
  • How far in advance do we send it out?
  • Are the words we use clear?
  • Are we getting verifiable information that will stand up to a CC challenge?
  • Are we following the policies that we set?
  • Are others having as much trouble with this as we are?
Coming onto a public forum and presenting a problem with our business model as if it were an industry wide problem that can't be solved helps no one. I may take a beating over this, but constantly thrashing the folks that pay my way seems like a recipe for unhappiness and grief.

Madeleine said:

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
happykeeper said:
Give me a break already.
I am just saying that if we are having repeated problems with a part of our business model, we will take a look at it in more detail, try a variety of solutions, and see what we can do to eliminate the problem.
Coming onto a public forum and presenting a problem with our business model as if it were an industry wide problem that can't be solved helps no one. I may take a beating over this, but constantly thrashing the folks that pay my way seems like a recipe for unhappiness and grief.
happykeeper said:
...constantly thrashing the folks that pay my way seems like a recipe for unhappiness and grief.
Agreed! You should only thrash the ones who have it coming! ;-)
Not thrashing the ones who need it seems like a recipe for unhappiness and frustration.
And regarding them paying my way, it's a two-way street. They pay with money, I pay with a place to stay. Since I feel my accommodations are underpriced, I'm thinking they're the ones coming out ahead in the deal.

Madeleine said:

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
happykeeper said:
Give me a break already.
happykeeper said:
...constantly thrashing the folks that pay my way seems like a recipe for unhappiness and grief.
Not thrashing the ones who need it seems like a recipe for unhappiness and frustration.
And regarding them paying my way, it's a two-way street. They pay with money, I pay with a place to stay. Since I feel my accommodations are underpriced, I'm thinking they're the ones coming out ahead in the deal.
Fair enough. We promise to thrash each one who has it coming. We have thrashed exactly 0 guests in ten years, but don't give up on us. There has got to be someone out there that deserves a thrashing.
I agree, business is a two-way street, although cold hard cash only flows one way at our place.

Madeleine said:

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
happykeeper said:
Give me a break already.
happykeeper said:
Fair enough. We promise to thrash each one who has it coming. We have thrashed exactly 0 guests in ten years, but don't give up on us. There has got to be someone out there that deserves a thrashing.
I agree, business is a two-way street, although cold hard cash only flows one way at our place.
happykeeper said:
True. I've just always had a problem with people who think, I'm the customer, I paid my money, so I get everything my way. No. Not as long as you're getting something in return for the money. A thing you must have considered worth the value of the money.

Madeleine said:

wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
happykeeper said:
Give me a break already.
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
True. I've just always had a problem with people who think, I'm the customer, I paid my money, so I get everything my way. No. Not as long as you're getting something in return for the money. A thing you must have considered worth the value of the money.
Agreed. As long as people are getting what they paid for (what we say they will get) then everything else has an additional cost attached. Tens years has ensure that my personal habits around that have changed. I am a much better customer than I was before.
Bake a free cake for everyone- they'll want a free cake the next time too, the baker will quit, and you'll go broke.

Let me guess. You only charged them for one night. Or nothing? Please stop that! NOT YOUR FAULT! NONE OF IT!.
Arks said:
Let me guess. You only charged them for one night. Or nothing? Please stop that! NOT YOUR FAULT! NONE OF IT!
Correct. None of it is my fault. I did everything I could to insure they had a wonderful place to stay with terrific things to do. Even insuring they got a prime table at a very busy restaurant.
Did I want them to stay here for one night given how upset they were? Not a chance. Refunding the entire deposit was worth it to me to not have them here grousing about getting lost, no one being here and us getting their reservation wrong. Because they were not going to admit the least complicity in this debacle.
I have saved all my other guests the unpleasantness. I have saved myself the aggro. That is worth the deposit.
Starting out I would have disagreed with me. Now? The money is not worth my peace of mind and the relaxation of the other guests.
I sent them to a lovely inn where they will be pampered beyond anything they could imagine. They will be cosseted and fussed over and made to feel ever so special. Totally worth it to me to not have to spend another minute on them.

Madeleine I am so sorry that this happened to stress you out while you were away. I can totally understand both sides, part of me (probably MOST of me) would want to hold their feet to the fire because it was THEIR mistake and they cost you time/money/stress, etc. But I also completely get just not wanting the grief of dealing with them and potentially impacting other guests…sometimes just throwing money at it to make it go away ends up costing you less in the long run.
It doesn't sound like there's a problem with any of your policies/procedures, etc. It sounds like they screwed up and want it to be someone else's fault.
It sounds like you've let it go which is good. Hope the rest of the guests are better this week
heart.gif

Let me guess. You only charged them for one night. Or nothing? Please stop that! NOT YOUR FAULT! NONE OF IT!.
Arks said:
Let me guess. You only charged them for one night. Or nothing? Please stop that! NOT YOUR FAULT! NONE OF IT!
Correct. None of it is my fault. I did everything I could to insure they had a wonderful place to stay with terrific things to do. Even insuring they got a prime table at a very busy restaurant.
Did I want them to stay here for one night given how upset they were? Not a chance. Refunding the entire deposit was worth it to me to not have them here grousing about getting lost, no one being here and us getting their reservation wrong. Because they were not going to admit the least complicity in this debacle.
I have saved all my other guests the unpleasantness. I have saved myself the aggro. That is worth the deposit.
Starting out I would have disagreed with me. Now? The money is not worth my peace of mind and the relaxation of the other guests.
I sent them to a lovely inn where they will be pampered beyond anything they could imagine. They will be cosseted and fussed over and made to feel ever so special. Totally worth it to me to not have to spend another minute on them.
My DH would do the same thing - he hates thinking about a situation and being mad at the people we have at our inn or thinking they are mad at us, so would prefer they go elsewhere and not charge them. Me, I'd rather charge them. BUT he is my better half - sigh...

This same thing happened to us on Saturday afternoon. We were not here, we were flying back home and were in the JFK airport at the time. He had his correspondence in hand which clearly stated that his reservation was for NEXT Saturday. Busy weekend here. Our daughter, who was home with Grammy, tried to help them. They ended up going to a hotel.
How the heck were we supposed to know that he meant to book for 10/25 when his reservation came to us for 10/18???
In the end, he sent an email of apology, but it rattled DD quite a bit.
People!! READ!!

Back