Point/Counterpoint

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, how many of us have lighted signs?
We don't but there is a street light (which is rare in our area) at the intersection of our driveway with the road, and our sign should be well-illuminated by the headlights of any vehicle coming down our road.
Harborfields said:
We don't but there is a street light (which is rare in our area) at the intersection of our driveway with the road, and our sign should be well-illuminated by the headlights of any vehicle coming down our road
We do. 2 of them. We regularly get guests driving right by our house and parking at the inn next door because they didn't see the first sign. Which, if we have late arrivals, we leave on all night so they can see that beacon in the wilderness. Our main sign is hanging on a tree, so totally invisible in the night. ;-)
We have a streetlight at our intersection, too. Half the time it doesn't work. OK by me, as my bedroom is darker when it's not on.
We not only have lights on our sign, but we had the electric company install a street light just inside our driveway entrance so that they aren't driving into a dark area. Nothing worse than a guest starting their stay off by getting lost after a long drive.
While it stinks that most of the articles are negative about our business, I have to say that some in the industry deserve these comments. And given that I'm an innkeeper, I held mine back but shouldn't have on the review sites. t stayed at 2 B&Bs that were horrible. One in Maine didn't have any locks on the doors because it was supposed to be like staying at Grandmas (not on the website by the way). Without breaking the chair, it was nicely shoved under the doorknob or I couldn't sleep knowing anyone in the entire large place could just open my door while I was sleeping. Would never go back or recommend to anyone. And the other one took kids and three of them were sitting at the common breakfast table slurping milk and making a mess while their parents slept in. One started laughing and his milk when up and through his nose onto the table. Disgusting and ruined my breakfast - the innkeeper should have gone and gotten them but didn't want to bother them so instead I was bothered. And actually a third which is one of the highest rated in Maine was not enjoyable for us - loud clanking gerbils being played by the off-color remaking innkeeper during breakfast and on the second morning their gardening staff were outside my window at 7:30am talking about their weekend and woke me up. Three different B&Bs, three non-happy experiences. It's no wonder people stop going to B&Bs if they happened to pick the wrong ones.
MtnKeeper said:
And actually a third which is one of the highest rated in Maine was not enjoyable for us - loud clanking gerbils being played by the off-color remaking innkeeper during breakfast and on the second morning their gardening staff were outside my window at 7:30am talking about their weekend and woke me up.
OMG! I know which one this is! We've had guests tell us about it.
Yes and I can't explain how these daily annoyances don't make it into their TA reviews. The innkeeper wears a hot dog hat to breakfast and says "Every guy should have a day to let his wiener hang out" and a hamburger hat the next day saying something about his meat. Right in front of ladies my grandmothers age. And the clanking gerbils were so annoying, and breakfast wasn't as good as mine either so it was not a great 4 nights - not bad, but for the money, not great. I so wanted to write a review but didn't.
I've heard about the hats, too. Would not stay there just given those 2 things (singing rats and tacky hats).

We don't but there is a street light (which is rare in our area) at the intersection of our driveway with the road, and our sign should be well-illuminated by the headlights of any vehicle coming down our road.
Harborfields said:
We don't but there is a street light (which is rare in our area) at the intersection of our driveway with the road, and our sign should be well-illuminated by the headlights of any vehicle coming down our road
We do. 2 of them. We regularly get guests driving right by our house and parking at the inn next door because they didn't see the first sign. Which, if we have late arrivals, we leave on all night so they can see that beacon in the wilderness. Our main sign is hanging on a tree, so totally invisible in the night. ;-)
We have a streetlight at our intersection, too. Half the time it doesn't work. OK by me, as my bedroom is darker when it's not on.
We not only have lights on our sign, but we had the electric company install a street light just inside our driveway entrance so that they aren't driving into a dark area. Nothing worse than a guest starting their stay off by getting lost after a long drive.
While it stinks that most of the articles are negative about our business, I have to say that some in the industry deserve these comments. And given that I'm an innkeeper, I held mine back but shouldn't have on the review sites. t stayed at 2 B&Bs that were horrible. One in Maine didn't have any locks on the doors because it was supposed to be like staying at Grandmas (not on the website by the way). Without breaking the chair, it was nicely shoved under the doorknob or I couldn't sleep knowing anyone in the entire large place could just open my door while I was sleeping. Would never go back or recommend to anyone. And the other one took kids and three of them were sitting at the common breakfast table slurping milk and making a mess while their parents slept in. One started laughing and his milk when up and through his nose onto the table. Disgusting and ruined my breakfast - the innkeeper should have gone and gotten them but didn't want to bother them so instead I was bothered. And actually a third which is one of the highest rated in Maine was not enjoyable for us - loud clanking gerbils being played by the off-color remaking innkeeper during breakfast and on the second morning their gardening staff were outside my window at 7:30am talking about their weekend and woke me up. Three different B&Bs, three non-happy experiences. It's no wonder people stop going to B&Bs if they happened to pick the wrong ones.
MtnKeeper said:
Gerbils??? huh?

Back