Policies - in place for a reason

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!.
Arks said:
And I don't WANT the people who insist on real people who will talk 10 minutes with them to make a reservation. Different strokes for different folks. Everybody happy!
Yes. Everybody happy. It helps to know your market. Mine wants personal interaction. I know some have a hard time believing it, but we still only average 50% online bookings. The other 50% want the personal touch.
Not just for deals as many online reservations ask for a discount in their 'additional info' comments.
Since we talk to every guest I can't really compare how much our business we lose by not having on-line booking. Forgoing on-line booking just works for us...brings us quality guests who have taken some time to choose us, and allows us to make sure they will be a good fit for our small B+B. I'm sure we are "old-fashioned", probably lose some business because we can not take a booking at mid-night or at the touch of a button, but if it ain't broke.....!
We do tend to get more over-50 guests than 20-30 year-olds. Since we are cutting back and not building a business our older market is just fine with us.
I'm with you, I like talking with our guests/prospective guests, I'm here to serve them and they are the fun reason to be in this business, remove the personal contact and the conversations and I'm just the janitor, no thanks.
Sure there are times when a "time out" from phone calls and interruptions might be nice, but this is the life I chose so I can't complain.
Yes JimB, answering the phone, questions, interacting with perspective guests, is a key essential of the HOSPITALITY business, especially with a B&B. It is no more a chore than all the myriad of ways we must personally interact with people on a day after day after day basis. It may be annoying, time consuming, not fun at times, but so are many aspects of this vocation we have chosen.
We simply focus on the abundance of good stuff and accept the normal everyday quotidian necessities of running a people-attuned successful B&B. This includes personally answering the phone if need be. We actually have all calls roll to my cell on the second ring if we are out and about. If the profession of innkeeping is your only income, then it requires dedication and diligence just like any other job (with its own set of negatives). But to each their own...

I suspect I have fewer than 50% book online. Since this is a non-tourist place, and I'm dealing with non-tourists for the most part, I get questions like "how far are you from Downtown? or from the university? or, since I grew up here, "What high school did you go to?"
The older folks almost never book online. I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
I am going to let them come, hoping I'll find them amusing instead of annoying....
devil_smile.gif

I suspect I have fewer than 50% book online. Since this is a non-tourist place, and I'm dealing with non-tourists for the most part, I get questions like "how far are you from Downtown? or from the university? or, since I grew up here, "What high school did you go to?"
The older folks almost never book online. I had a call from an off the wall "tourist" yesterday who says he's always wanted to visit our town because he lives in Chicago (4 hours away) and has never been here... but doesn't want breakfast, wants the cheapest room, wants a discount for no breakfast, wants to see all the rooms when they arrive, and maybe upgrade then, all of his conversation at a volume level of 11+. I told him I thought he'd really love our Hampton here. He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
I am going to let them come, hoping I'll find them amusing instead of annoying....
devil_smile.gif
I also hope you find them amusing!

devil_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
He called back, decided they'd stay 2 nights, then started telling me what his wife would and wouldn't eat for breakfast (darn).
devil_smile.gif
Give us a follow up after they leave. We'll want to know how it went.

devil_smile.gif
That's the spirit! We will keep our fingers crossed for you. But don't you hate that heavy pit in your stomach feeling when you suspect that they might annoy the beegeebers out of you?

devil_smile.gif
Having met you, I suspect you will work some magic and they will have a great stay. I'm crossing my fingers just in case.

devil_smile.gif
Having met you, I suspect you will work some magic and they will have a great stay. I'm crossing my fingers just in case.
happykeeper said:
I've met her too. Innkeep is a pro and can handle whatever comes her way, unless it comes in a wine bottle ;-)

devil_smile.gif
I've used the 'breakfast is complimentary' line on the rare occasion when someone wants a no-breakfast discount.
I also have to thank another inmate for the "our discounts are built into our prices" line. Replied with it to an inquiry last week. Stopped that train on its tracks.
lady wanted 'last minute discount'. Suggested another lodging nearby. The room filled a couple days later. August seems to be happening very early this year.
I love this forum

devil_smile.gif
I've used the 'breakfast is complimentary' line on the rare occasion when someone wants a no-breakfast discount.
I also have to thank another inmate for the "our discounts are built into our prices" line. Replied with it to an inquiry last week. Stopped that train on its tracks.
lady wanted 'last minute discount'. Suggested another lodging nearby. The room filled a couple days later. August seems to be happening very early this year.
I love this forum
was discussing this with a neighbour who does sell room online or BB online - says she is sick to death of arguing with people that no breakfast is not included (they have booked entirely on price and not read anything) also its why I don't do single occupancy as often becomes 2.
I am also not dealing with half a dozen people who didn't book breakfast and then turn up and want it as soon as they smell the bacon and coffee - its that simple.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
I hate the last minute people. Prices go up as there are less rooms available. You want a cheap room, call the damn Motel 6. That's cheap... I'm not cheap. And when the call on the same day, I'm "booked" even if I'm not. It creates this sort of cachet... that they can't get in. We've had a few people come after trying a few times but we were fully booked.... they learn to book earlier :)

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
was discussing this with a neighbour who does sell room online or BB online - says she is sick to death of arguing with people that no breakfast is not included (they have booked entirely on price and not read anything) also its why I don't do single occupancy as often becomes 2.
I am also not dealing with half a dozen people who didn't book breakfast and then turn up and want it as soon as they smell the bacon and coffee - its that simple.
That's a case where she needs to include breakfast and put up her price. She'll get less argument. Maybe include a continental breakfast instead of the full English... charge for the full English, but give a "buffet" selection of Continental.
I also no longer offer a single rate. It's not really like I save much. I lose the income I would have made from the other person.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
I hate the last minute people. Prices go up as there are less rooms available. You want a cheap room, call the damn Motel 6. That's cheap... I'm not cheap. And when the call on the same day, I'm "booked" even if I'm not. It creates this sort of cachet... that they can't get in. We've had a few people come after trying a few times but we were fully booked.... they learn to book earlier :)
We've heard that a few times. "We've tried for years to get in there! We decided to call early this year."

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
That's a case where she needs to include breakfast and put up her price. She'll get less argument. Maybe include a continental breakfast instead of the full English... charge for the full English, but give a "buffet" selection of Continental.
I also no longer offer a single rate. It's not really like I save much. I lose the income I would have made from the other person.
no she offers it as an option ie book room only or B&B but they don't read so when they come to check in she says "And would you like to book breakfast as you have only booked room only" and then leads into an argument.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
no she offers it as an option ie book room only or B&B but they don't read so when they come to check in she says "And would you like to book breakfast as you have only booked room only" and then leads into an argument.
Sounds like it might be easier to ask if they don't want breakfast than if they do.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
Or set up a discount for no breakfast that they can ask for and book everyone with breakfast.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
Or set up a discount for no breakfast that they can ask for and book everyone with breakfast.
Jon Sable said:
For us, that would be hard to keep track of. But we don't do plates delivered. For those of you who deliver to the room or the table, this idea sounds like a good way to save money and time.
On the other hand, for most of us, the breakfast is what sets us apart and where the creativity is the fun part.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
This is our first year offering a "Guest House" rate (no breakfast and limited housekeeping) for our cottage. So far, so good. But we speak to each guest and stress the "you arrange for your own breakfast" reservation. The reservation confirmation has Guest House all over it, along with the "no breakfast" notation. They can't miss it.
We just had weekly guests, first timers, check out. They were perfect guests, tidy, friendly, and they barely left the cottage for more than 2 hours a day.Because of bad weather with a long drive to the mid-west ahead of them, they stayed an extra, eighth night, requesting breakfast on their departing morning, which we happily provided, They paid the full B+B rate for the cottage for their extra morning, which is $25 more than the guest house rate.
I am liking this Guest House idea a lot! Yup, I think we can go another 5 years by limiting the B+B in the house to the summer-season when the cottage guests have a choice of either a B+B rate or a guest house rate.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
This is our first year offering a "Guest House" rate (no breakfast and limited housekeeping) for our cottage. So far, so good. But we speak to each guest and stress the "you arrange for your own breakfast" reservation. The reservation confirmation has Guest House all over it, along with the "no breakfast" notation. They can't miss it.
We just had weekly guests, first timers, check out. They were perfect guests, tidy, friendly, and they barely left the cottage for more than 2 hours a day.Because of bad weather with a long drive to the mid-west ahead of them, they stayed an extra, eighth night, requesting breakfast on their departing morning, which we happily provided, They paid the full B+B rate for the cottage for their extra morning, which is $25 more than the guest house rate.
I am liking this Guest House idea a lot! Yup, I think we can go another 5 years by limiting the B+B in the house to the summer-season when the cottage guests have a choice of either a B+B rate or a guest house rate.
Great to hear. We may follow that road some day.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
Jon Sable said:
For us, that would be hard to keep track of. But we don't do plates delivered. For those of you who deliver to the room or the table, this idea sounds like a good way to save money and time.
On the other hand, for most of us, the breakfast is what sets us apart and where the creativity is the fun part.
I'd actually put that up on the add-ons, a reverse add-on. This way the opt out of breakfast consciously. Not that I'm going to do that, since legally I can't. But it would end a lot of the arguments when they want breakfast but haven't paid for it.

devil_smile.gif
I love this forum
Jon Sable said:
I'd actually put that up on the add-ons, a reverse add-on. This way the opt out of breakfast consciously. Not that I'm going to do that, since legally I can't. But it would end a lot of the arguments when they want breakfast but haven't paid for it.
Especially during off-peak days or season.
If you have one room and they opt out of breakfast, makes the morning a little less complex. And it may attract a few more at a somewhat lower price who might not have booked otherwise.

Back