Pricing a cheese tray?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a locally made cheddar cheese ball which they deliver to us and we can freeze. It's about 4 ounces. Put it on a tray with a dollop of grapes and a couple of strawberries and some of our local bakery's crostini for $12. Basically double our cost. It's popular.
Riki

We use a locally made cheddar cheese ball which they deliver to us and we can freeze. It's about 4 ounces. Put it on a tray with a dollop of grapes and a couple of strawberries and some of our local bakery's crostini for $12. Basically double our cost. It's popular.
Riki.
Sounds like a good price to me! I'd pay $12 without blinking. Madeline, if I were traveling and thinking I might be hungry, I think I'd pay up to $15. If it were a special occasion and this was a treat, I'd pay more, but I would purchase less often $25-$45. If I were with my DH, I'd know he'd get grumpy without a nod to meat. I'd make the booking, but would be hesitant to do an add-on just for me. Might want to just keep in mind and see if offering a cured meat in there helps sales...or not...

OK then first 2 responses and no actual answer. C'mon people, help me out here!
Cheese tray for 2 people. The question was what would YOU put on the cheese tray YOU serve. After that it was what would you pay? So, if you're paying, what would you expect and what would you pay for that?.
I would use local cheese which would be 1/3 of a small round of brie, and some of our famous cheddar, about 3 or 4 ounces and a soft cheese such as Boursin (you could cut it in half). Add some water crackers and maybe some Cabaret crackers. A small bunch of grapes and a few strawberries also. I wouldn't hesitate to charge $25-$30 depending on it's size.
I would estimate approx $10 for items which should get a mark up of at least 100%
(I know it doesn't seem like you could do it for $10, but if you have a Costco or similar, you buy the items in bigger quantity and store them)
I priced it out yesterday to come up with 1 lb of assorted cheese ($20), crackers ($5), fruit ($1), chocolates ($1) and a liter of lemonade ($3). It's about $30 to buy because I can't just get the amount I would need to do this. Of course, we would eat whatever wasn't on the tray, but it's a pricey thing to try to do.
Madeleine said:
I priced it out yesterday to come up with 1 lb of assorted cheese ($20), crackers ($5), fruit ($1), chocolates ($1) and a liter of lemonade ($3). It's about $30 to buy because I can't just get the amount I would need to do this. Of course, we would eat whatever wasn't on the tray, but it's a pricey thing to try to do.
Are you interested in doing this for just 1 person, or adding it to your add-on packages? Makes a big difference in pricing. If you're pricing a whole lb of cheese for each, and a whole box of crackers, etc., then it doesn't pay for itself. I buy a 2.5 lb block of cheddar at the warehouse store for $7.00 then cut it in sizes I'll use and shrink wrap them for later or freeze them, etc.
Breakfast Diva said:
I buy a 2.5 lb block of cheddar at the warehouse store for $7.00 then cut it in sizes I'll use and shrink wrap them for later or freeze them, etc.
OK, I never (purposely) tried to freeze cheese before! It doesn't get mushy when it thaws?
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I buy a 2.5 lb block of cheddar at the warehouse store for $7.00 then cut it in sizes I'll use and shrink wrap them for later or freeze them, etc.
OK, I never (purposely) tried to freeze cheese before! It doesn't get mushy when it thaws?
hard cheeses like cheddar and swiss freeze well. I tend to vacuum pack them and store them in the fridge for a long time, then if it looks like I won't be using them, will freeze them. Works great!
I buy a log of goat cheese, or a large block from a local producer who mail orders, and then I freeze it in the size pieces I need. It thaws in the refrigerator over night like it was just purchased. It does not get crumbly or mushy the way cream cheese gets when you freeze it. We don't offer any packages, as such but when someone wants one we make it up to their specs, adding $$ for our time and effort. I wouldn't do it for less than $15 profit.
http://www.chevre.com/ Check out their overstocks for the best price.

Riki.
Sounds like a good price to me! I'd pay $12 without blinking. Madeline, if I were traveling and thinking I might be hungry, I think I'd pay up to $15. If it were a special occasion and this was a treat, I'd pay more, but I would purchase less often $25-$45. If I were with my DH, I'd know he'd get grumpy without a nod to meat. I'd make the booking, but would be hesitant to do an add-on just for me. Might want to just keep in mind and see if offering a cured meat in there helps sales...or not...
$12 is $18 under what it costs me to put it together based on a run thru the store the other day. I priced a salami & mozzarella roll that looked nice. Of course, if we did this on a regular basis I would take suggestions from guests, 'Can you include some sort of 'meat' for my husband?!'
If I could price it out like was shown a restaurant would pay for the ingredients, then $15 would be making money. Right now, paying retail, that would be a losing proposition.
All good info!

Riki.
So, maybe I should plan for a much smaller cheese tray than I was thinking. I could get a cheese ball for about $6. Then crackers, etc. Might cost me around $12 to put together and then charge $25 for it.

OK then first 2 responses and no actual answer. C'mon people, help me out here!
Cheese tray for 2 people. The question was what would YOU put on the cheese tray YOU serve. After that it was what would you pay? So, if you're paying, what would you expect and what would you pay for that?.
I would use local cheese which would be 1/3 of a small round of brie, and some of our famous cheddar, about 3 or 4 ounces and a soft cheese such as Boursin (you could cut it in half). Add some water crackers and maybe some Cabaret crackers. A small bunch of grapes and a few strawberries also. I wouldn't hesitate to charge $25-$30 depending on it's size.
I would estimate approx $10 for items which should get a mark up of at least 100%
(I know it doesn't seem like you could do it for $10, but if you have a Costco or similar, you buy the items in bigger quantity and store them)
Madeleine said:
Are you interested in doing this for just 1 person, or adding it to your add-on packages? Makes a big difference in pricing. If you're pricing a whole lb of cheese for each, and a whole box of crackers, etc., then it doesn't pay for itself. I buy a 2.5 lb block of cheddar at the warehouse store for $7.00 then cut it in sizes I'll use and shrink wrap them for later or freeze them, etc.
Breakfast Diva said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
hard cheeses like cheddar and swiss freeze well. I tend to vacuum pack them and store them in the fridge for a long time, then if it looks like I won't be using them, will freeze them. Works great!
I buy a log of goat cheese, or a large block from a local producer who mail orders, and then I freeze it in the size pieces I need. It thaws in the refrigerator over night like it was just purchased. It does not get crumbly or mushy the way cream cheese gets when you freeze it. We don't offer any packages, as such but when someone wants one we make it up to their specs, adding $$ for our time and effort. I wouldn't do it for less than $15 profit.
http://www.chevre.com/ Check out their overstocks for the best price.
Good to know that you can freeze goat cheese! Thanks

Riki.
$12 is $18 under what it costs me to put it together based on a run thru the store the other day. I priced a salami & mozzarella roll that looked nice. Of course, if we did this on a regular basis I would take suggestions from guests, 'Can you include some sort of 'meat' for my husband?!'
If I could price it out like was shown a restaurant would pay for the ingredients, then $15 would be making money. Right now, paying retail, that would be a losing proposition.
All good info!
Madeleine said:
All good info!
We purchase the cheese balls wholesale from a local cheesemaker. No meats. Just a little fruit for looks and crackers and crostini. Guests love it. $12 is double what we pay. Our cheese ball retails for $12 we get it wholesale for $4
Riki

Riki.
All good info!
Madeleine said:
All good info!
We purchase the cheese balls wholesale from a local cheesemaker. No meats. Just a little fruit for looks and crackers and crostini. Guests love it. $12 is double what we pay. Our cheese ball retails for $12 we get it wholesale for $4
Riki
egoodell said:
Madeleine said:
All good info!
Riki
I'll bet you do a lot more of these than I ever could. Doubt I could find someone to sell me cheese at wholesale for the amount I would ever buy. But, good ideas!

Riki.
All good info!
Madeleine said:
All good info!
Riki
egoodell said:
Madeleine said:
All good info!
Riki
I'll bet you do a lot more of these than I ever could. Doubt I could find someone to sell me cheese at wholesale for the amount I would ever buy. But, good ideas!
Madeleine said:
egoodell said:
Madeleine said:
All good info!
Riki
Our local person sells them to us a dozen at a time. Do you have any local small vendors in your area?

Riki.
CafeMae said:
To us here, a cheese plate is just cheese, if you want cheese and meat you would order a cheese and charcuterie plate.
Riki

Riki.
So, maybe I should plan for a much smaller cheese tray than I was thinking. I could get a cheese ball for about $6. Then crackers, etc. Might cost me around $12 to put together and then charge $25 for it.
I charged $20 & had several domed glass servers. (Yes, I sometimes had more than one room/day request these!) Cheese, fruit, and crackers.
Can't count on arrival time of guest? Don't use soft cheeses or sliced fruits, obviously. I tried to use 3 different cheeses - a cheddar, white, and then something a little different. Also used mini Babybel individually wrapped - no waste. Strawberries and grapes work well. Sometimes I'd do chocolate dipped strawberries or orange wedges if there was a special occasion involved. Might use a single slice of star fruit or kiwi as a garnish.
Ritz had packages with multiple individually wrapped crackers (about 10) that I'd use and then add crostini and another type of more unusual crackers.
I liked the dome servers because it was a nice presentation and kept things looking fresh.
I would add beverages with the tray as a separate package for a bit more, if you don't provide complimentary cold beverages.

Back