Question for the Americans :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By car as stated. You will not get it on a plane..
How so? If you check-in your luggage and you have some bottles inside - why would that be a problem? You don't take them into the cabin.
Or is that a real problem in the US? I have an American friend that came back some months ago and it wasn't an issue.
They took my bottle of water that I bought at the concession by the gate. As for checked luggage - I bought a lock for my suitcase in Germany and put it on my checked bag. When said bag was delivered to me, there was no lock. Everything was there (I think) but I did not have anything of big value - most expensive item was a 29.95 quid teapot that equaled $45+ in USD. Wine? Where is the evidence you even HAD wine? Glug, glug.
gillumhouse said:
They took my bottle of water that I bought at the concession by the gate. As for checked luggage - I bought a lock for my suitcase in Germany and put it on my checked bag. When said bag was delivered to me, there was no lock. Everything was there (I think) but I did not have anything of big value - most expensive item was a 29.95 quid teapot that equaled $45+ in USD. Wine? Where is the evidence you even HAD wine? Glug, glug.
they took water you bought inside security?
It could not go on the plane.

How so? If you check-in your luggage and you have some bottles inside - why would that be a problem? You don't take them into the cabin.
Or is that a real problem in the US? I have an American friend that came back some months ago and it wasn't an issue.
gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I'm surprised. Everyone buys water after they get inside security so they can have it on the plane. Is this new? Was it a US airport?

Unless that state is Pennsylvania, you are fine. Cannot bring alcohol from out of state into PA. Illegal. This is just for PA as far as I know, and perhaps Utah. Yes, welcome to prohibition.

Unless that state is Pennsylvania, you are fine. Cannot bring alcohol from out of state into PA. Illegal. This is just for PA as far as I know, and perhaps Utah. Yes, welcome to prohibition..
Get out! How would anyone even know that? Can you leave the state with alcohol and go elsewhere? Just can't import it?
Altho, it used to be illegal here to carry your meds in anything other than the original prescription packaging, so anything is possible.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I'm surprised. Everyone buys water after they get inside security so they can have it on the plane. Is this new? Was it a US airport?
2011 leaving OHare to go to Germany. Things may be different by now. A kid's cutlery set that was OK in Stuttgart was no-no in Atlanta (I think just to show me who was boss - I had forgotten there was even a knife (kid table knife with serrated edge to cut meat) in there).

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
2011 leaving OHare to go to Germany. Things may be different by now. A kid's cutlery set that was OK in Stuttgart was no-no in Atlanta (I think just to show me who was boss - I had forgotten there was even a knife (kid table knife with serrated edge to cut meat) in there).
Did you buy the water inside the airport but before you went through the security screening?

Unless that state is Pennsylvania, you are fine. Cannot bring alcohol from out of state into PA. Illegal. This is just for PA as far as I know, and perhaps Utah. Yes, welcome to prohibition..
Get out! How would anyone even know that? Can you leave the state with alcohol and go elsewhere? Just can't import it?
Altho, it used to be illegal here to carry your meds in anything other than the original prescription packaging, so anything is possible.
Morticia said:
Not just PA and Utah. It can be county by county, or city by city. From a website for beer enthusiasts:
Alcohol laws in the U.S. are wide and varied. Alcohol is still federally prohibited on Indian Reservations. In Alabama, 66% of the counties are dry. Mississippi is nearly 50% dry, and Arkansas has 129 counties that are designated dry. In Kentucky, 55 of 120 counties are dry, and Texas is 30% dry. Although Rhode Island never even ratified the 18th amendment, states like Pennsylvania allow the PA Liquor Control Board to prohibit the transport of alcohol across its border from-or-to another state, but allow it from another country if you fill out the proper forms and pay taxes and fees for the privilege.
In PA, you had to be careful going from NJ to PA around Philadelphia - the police would watch some of the liquor stores there, or at least they used to.
Most places don't care unless you are transporting it for resale, but you might want to drive extra careful if you're doing it.

Morticia said:
Not just PA and Utah. It can be county by county, or city by city. From a website for beer enthusiasts:
Alcohol laws in the U.S. are wide and varied. Alcohol is still federally prohibited on Indian Reservations. In Alabama, 66% of the counties are dry. Mississippi is nearly 50% dry, and Arkansas has 129 counties that are designated dry. In Kentucky, 55 of 120 counties are dry, and Texas is 30% dry. Although Rhode Island never even ratified the 18th amendment, states like Pennsylvania allow the PA Liquor Control Board to prohibit the transport of alcohol across its border from-or-to another state, but allow it from another country if you fill out the proper forms and pay taxes and fees for the privilege.
In PA, you had to be careful going from NJ to PA around Philadelphia - the police would watch some of the liquor stores there, or at least they used to.
Most places don't care unless you are transporting it for resale, but you might want to drive extra careful if you're doing it.
Thank goodness we just drink at dinner and don't travel with alcohol! And we always walk to and from dinner!
Funny, in Utah we had to ask if they even served alcohol. A lot of restaurants don't. There you always know when you've crossed the border into Nevada - booze, gambling, sin.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Did you buy the water inside the airport but before you went through the security screening?
No - I paid $3 for it in the gate area (not at the gate), Boarding side of Security & after I got my official MRI/CAT scan they were requiring then. Show what you got or stay home.

My upcoming trip involves crossing the US Canada border 4 times all together. I really wanted to travel with wine, but I guess it's not worth it. So, open invitation to Innmates who want to try Indiana wine, you'll just have to come here for a visit!

My upcoming trip involves crossing the US Canada border 4 times all together. I really wanted to travel with wine, but I guess it's not worth it. So, open invitation to Innmates who want to try Indiana wine, you'll just have to come here for a visit!.
Innkeep said:
So, open invitation to Innmates who want to try Indiana wine, you'll just have to come here for a visit!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

My upcoming trip involves crossing the US Canada border 4 times all together. I really wanted to travel with wine, but I guess it's not worth it. So, open invitation to Innmates who want to try Indiana wine, you'll just have to come here for a visit!.
Two 750ml bottles is all that is allowed per person. It's a tax thing around here. Gotta pay for all those great services... 48 weeks of parental leave, paid vacation, unlimited health care, etc. :)
PS: Around here we don't get 48 weeks of parental leave... we get 50.

And it is a great place to visit. Beautiful B & B with a great innkeeper I am fortunate enough to call Friend.

Interesting... Reminds me of buying cigarettes on reservations in Canada and trying to bring outside of the reservation. Do state troopers randomly stop you and ask you if you're carrying something from out of state? How can they prove it?
Interesting example is if you're coming over into Canada from the United States and have purchased an item you must declare it, but if they don't have any proof that you bought it from inside the states they cannot do anything at all….
They must find the receipts or pictures on your phone that indicate that you have bought the item in the United States. My Friends always bring in items that are brand-new, but since it cannot be proven that it wasn't bought in Canada they always go through without problem.

Interesting... Reminds me of buying cigarettes on reservations in Canada and trying to bring outside of the reservation. Do state troopers randomly stop you and ask you if you're carrying something from out of state? How can they prove it?
Interesting example is if you're coming over into Canada from the United States and have purchased an item you must declare it, but if they don't have any proof that you bought it from inside the states they cannot do anything at all….
They must find the receipts or pictures on your phone that indicate that you have bought the item in the United States. My Friends always bring in items that are brand-new, but since it cannot be proven that it wasn't bought in Canada they always go through without problem..
I had friends who forgot about a bottle of booze bought in the States - it was confiscated when they could not prove bought in States before entry as they were returning.

Back