Rack card / brochure displays

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We only keep brochures & menus for places that we have actually visited, things we've actually done, friends that have businesses that we know & respect (even if we don't use the service, but can honestly recommend in good faith). We get businesses and realtors coming by all the time wanting to drop off brochures, business cards, fliers and other crap. We certainly don't want to overwhelm our guests and like being able to say that the places are Innkeeper tested & approved.
A friend of the owner built three small wood brochure holders - two slots deep, four & five brochures long - that sit on a long table in the entrance hallway. Then misc other holders & non-holdered stuff laying on it. I often go through it and cull the herd... if there's too much crap no one wants to even stop to look at it. We have all menus to the right, shopping in the middle & activities on the left. The map in the middle is of our shopping district. I keep it open to encourage people to pick them up. Our biz assoc puts that together (I'm on the board so I peddle them heavily!)
20150323_172032.jpg
Very nice! I like it a lot! They go well with the table. The light hanging over the area is a smart idea. We have plastic pamphlet holders on top of the piano...not ideal but what we have for now.
My only thought would be to remove the boxes and stuff from underneath. Makes it look junky. Just my two cents.
The boxes are full of food for the local food bank. We did a food drive & haven't yet been able to coordinate the food bank people & the newspapers to deliver & take photos. We put a sign on it saying what it was so guests didn't think we kept their breakfast fixins in the hallway.
Kay Nein said:
The boxes are full of food for the local food bank. We did a food drive & haven't yet been able to coordinate the food bank people & the newspapers to deliver & take photos. We put a sign on it saying what it was so guests didn't think we kept their breakfast fixins in the hallway.
:)

We only keep brochures & menus for places that we have actually visited, things we've actually done, friends that have businesses that we know & respect (even if we don't use the service, but can honestly recommend in good faith). We get businesses and realtors coming by all the time wanting to drop off brochures, business cards, fliers and other crap. We certainly don't want to overwhelm our guests and like being able to say that the places are Innkeeper tested & approved.
A friend of the owner built three small wood brochure holders - two slots deep, four & five brochures long - that sit on a long table in the entrance hallway. Then misc other holders & non-holdered stuff laying on it. I often go through it and cull the herd... if there's too much crap no one wants to even stop to look at it. We have all menus to the right, shopping in the middle & activities on the left. The map in the middle is of our shopping district. I keep it open to encourage people to pick them up. Our biz assoc puts that together (I'm on the board so I peddle them heavily!)
20150323_172032.jpg
Very nice! I like it a lot! They go well with the table. The light hanging over the area is a smart idea. We have plastic pamphlet holders on top of the piano...not ideal but what we have for now.
My only thought would be to remove the boxes and stuff from underneath. Makes it look junky. Just my two cents.
Grin! The more mess under the table the better!!!!!!! Thanks for giving a helping hand!!!

I have beautiful binders with menus and brochures in individual sleeves in each cottage. On the front of the binder is a welcome letter with information such as our phone numbers, should we ever not be there. This keeps the common area clutter free.
Much like Kay Nein, we only have information on businesses/restaurants and stores that we frequent ourselves and can recommend.
We stayed at a beautiful B&B this past weekend - they had this same kind of information binder in their rooms. I think it works well

Tomorrow I will take a photo of the rack Himself built for me. It is lightweight and we called it my traveling brochure rack - I took it to Tourism Day etc to display the brochures and rack cards of our member B & Bs when I was Marketing Chair for the Assoc. Its normal residence is on the big radiator in the foyer that is our emergency heating unit (turn on gas, light, and heat emanates - but no safety features) if the electric goes off. It tends to get a bit unwieldy at times because I forget to clear it out - but when someone needs info about something in the State, I most likely have it. It is made of 1/2 inch pine (10 x 12 sides - we just measured - and 26 inches across) and 1/8th inch plywood for the front & back and made with 4 levels. He said today he would use 1/4 instead of 18 in plywood. He also built a rack on the wall in a small space between the radiator and the door to the dining room for more brochures. Tomorrow is another day - too late and too dark now.
ebrochureracks-gillumhouse.jpg

eSideview-gillumhouse.JPG

There is a carry slot in the bottom..
gillumhouse said:
Tomorrow I will take a photo of the rack Himself built for me. It is lightweight and we called it my traveling brochure rack - I took it to Tourism Day etc to display the brochures and rack cards of our member B & Bs when I was Marketing Chair for the Assoc. Its normal residence is on the big radiator in the foyer that is our emergency heating unit (turn on gas, light, and heat emanates - but no safety features) if the electric goes off. It tends to get a bit unwieldy at times because I forget to clear it out - but when someone needs info about something in the State, I most likely have it. It is made of 1/2 inch pine (10 x 12 sides - we just measured - and 26 inches across) and 1/8th inch plywood for the front & back and made with 4 levels. He said today he would use 1/4 instead of 18 in plywood. He also built a rack on the wall in a small space between the radiator and the door to the dining room for more brochures. Tomorrow is another day - too late and too dark now.

There is a carry slot in the bottom.
I have a mirror in my breakfast room that is your mirror's twin!! :)
We have an old bookshelf we got in an antique store and we arrange the brochures on it.

There are companies that will set up a display or place a monthly stack of booklets at businesses; and give some kind of incentive, free ad or monthly payment (especially in tourist areas). This would seem like a profit opportunity and take away the need for the innkeeper to maintain it.
Has anyone tried this? You can usually get the contact info for local advertising companies from an existing display at other businesses.

20150323_172032.jpg
I know where this is and it is in a great location at the inn. Very well thought out. Plus you are right in town, and this is an added amenity for your guests who wander in for the night, see some great things to do right there!

There are companies that will set up a display or place a monthly stack of booklets at businesses; and give some kind of incentive, free ad or monthly payment (especially in tourist areas). This would seem like a profit opportunity and take away the need for the innkeeper to maintain it.
Has anyone tried this? You can usually get the contact info for local advertising companies from an existing display at other businesses..
You have to be a high traffic place like a restaurant or a major attraction. No one is going to bother with a little b & b

gillumhouse said:

We have an old bookshelf we got in an antique store and we arrange the brochures on it.
This mirror is original to the Gillum family - the Harris family forgot to take it. YEA. It is the only item (other than the heavy radiator itself that was too heavy to move) that belonged to the Gillums that was left behind.

gillumhouse said:

This mirror is original to the Gillum family - the Harris family forgot to take it. YEA. It is the only item (other than the heavy radiator itself that was too heavy to move) that belonged to the Gillums that was left behind.
gillumhouse said:
so cool. I found mine in an antique store in Essex, MA. When I lived in my old house before we moved into the inn.

Welcome!
I'm also totally adverse to clutter. I had a bookcase with brochures organized by type in baskets, a map basket, touring books, etc. Always seems much neater (and easier to keep dust free) to have things vertically organized rather than stacked on a table.
Lots of good info here...

Back