Refunds? Discounts? For things out of your control (but not weather)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our family maintains that I do not travel, I have adventures. I ran out of gas on the Interstate, got a ride to gas station from a pick-up traveling on a parallel side road, and back to my car in a semi. Ran out of gas with my motorcycle (too busy trying to stay warm that day to watch the mileage) on an exit that was an overpass over an Interstate and as I started to walk back across a bridge, a squad car picked me up, took me to get gas, and then took the gas can back to the station for me.
Tourism Day last month, as my friend went to drive up to the Capitol to unload the vehicle, the car in front of us proceeded and as we started in, the bollards that had been retracted to allow access came up - crunching her bumper as they rose.
(That is the main reason I did not drive the tank - was afraid the getting from the Pittsburgh airport to Charlotte did not count as the "adventure" of the trip.)

I had guests pay at check-in, so it was difficult to offer a discount if something small went amok.
One time we had a ceiling light fixture in a closet come loose and fall while the guests were in the room. Weird. I gave the guests a gc for a one night stay on a return visit.
Had a power interrupt which messed up the programmed heat one night in the second house. Did the same things for the guests in that house.
The guests were appreciative and knew that these kinds of things were out of our control....

We were in a Hil ton hotel in the UK when there was a fire alarm early in the morning. A lot of guests (along with us) were outside in the parking lot in robes or with wet hair from the shower. We were trying to make an early morning flight back to the States. We were offered nothing...

I had guests pay at check-in, so it was difficult to offer a discount if something small went amok.
One time we had a ceiling light fixture in a closet come loose and fall while the guests were in the room. Weird. I gave the guests a gc for a one night stay on a return visit.
Had a power interrupt which messed up the programmed heat one night in the second house. Did the same things for the guests in that house.
The guests were appreciative and knew that these kinds of things were out of our control.....
Samster said:
One time we had a ceiling light fixture in a closet...I gave the guests a gc for a one night stay on a return visit.
Too kind! For something like that in a closet, I would have said, "Well I'll be. I'll get that fixed ASAP" and nothing more.
In a big hotel, I wouldn't expect anything after a false fire alarm, unless it happened more than once. But at a B&B, yes, that would be unusual enough to merit a $20 discount or so.

The guests were appreciative and knew that these kinds of things were out of our control.....
Samster said:
One time we had a ceiling light fixture in a closet...I gave the guests a gc for a one night stay on a return visit.
Too kind! For something like that in a closet, I would have said, "Well I'll be. I'll get that fixed ASAP" and nothing more.
In a big hotel, I wouldn't expect anything after a false fire alarm, unless it happened more than once. But at a B&B, yes, that would be unusual enough to merit a $20 discount or so.
Well, the fixture came loose & crashed on the floor and made a bit of a mess. We were stymied how it even happened, to tell you the truth. According to the guests, it kind of alarmed them. So it seemed like I had to do something.
Then there's the instances of how guests broke or damaged things. How do you mess up a tub shower diverter? What kind of force to you have to put on a porcelain shower head over a clawfoot tub to break it? How can a guest break a weight cord on a window when you've never broken any on the other 44 windows in the house? Those are just a few.
Bizarre stories of innkeeping....hahaha

I don't travel well. That's how I'm going to look at it from now on. Stuck in a room next to the elevator last night with 2 other guests in the hall screaming obscenities at each other on and off until 12:30 am.
Now driving home under a winter weather advisory.

i offered partial refunds depending on the situation.
our guests were great and took it all in stride when we had a huge rain storm and the power went off everywhere. we lit candles all over the place, shared our wine with them in the common areas (and they with us). they came running from a church where they were rehearsing songs for a wedding. i pulled out every spare towel for people to dry off. that was a fun time. i did not offer discounts as it was not just the b&b.
i stayed at a b&b in new hampshire (you might recall) ... power went out and we were sitting in a dark bedroom for quite a while ... had to give a shout and make our way down a dark corridor and first flight of stairs to ask for a flashlight. (they had a pile of them) i thought that was bad form. i thought the innkeepers should have gone to all the rooms with flashlights and whatever info they could offer. it bothered me that they did not come up to our room - nor to anyone else's. not to check, not to offer flashlights, not to give info. odd ...
maybe they were scared of the storm..
If the power goes out I don't go to the rooms to tell guests. They may be sleeping or not even there.
If many are out I will leave a note on the counter under the Coleman lantern.
We do keep flashlights in the night stands for emergencies. The emergency lighting in the hallway comes on if the power goes out.
BTW, I was away the other day. I was a victim of no hot water, not the innkeeper on the hook. ;-)
It must be me. No heat, no hot water, fire alarms, burnt breakfast, parakeets flying around the dining room, dogs begging at the table. It's a wonder anyone will travel with me!
Morticia said:
It must be me. No heat, no hot water, fire alarms, burnt breakfast, parakeets flying around the dining room, dogs begging at the table. It's a wonder anyone will travel with me!
How does this happen, but it does. We have some great friends that always have things happen at restaurants. The stories they tell. And at times we have been with. I still go out with them, it makes for good stories.
We once knew a family that travelled under a black cloud. People would ask them when they had their camping trip planned so that they could plan a different time. True story.
That sounds like us . When ever we go on holidays it is always adventure to say the least. This last one was really hard on us all. It's cost was mentally bad and physically bad. Think next year I am not for going on holidays at all.

I don't travel well. That's how I'm going to look at it from now on. Stuck in a room next to the elevator last night with 2 other guests in the hall screaming obscenities at each other on and off until 12:30 am.
Now driving home under a winter weather advisory..
Gomez got sick on the drive. Whiteout conditions about an hour from home. If I didn't have another trip already planned, if be like flower and stay home.

Did you talk to the front desk about it, or just suffer through it?

We were in a Hil ton hotel in the UK when there was a fire alarm early in the morning. A lot of guests (along with us) were outside in the parking lot in robes or with wet hair from the shower. We were trying to make an early morning flight back to the States. We were offered nothing....
We warned a hotel about a fire. They gave us a €5 bottle of wine.

Did you talk to the front desk about it, or just suffer through it?
Because they wouldn't let us check in early (ironic) we didn't get back until late. Last room. So they said. The screamers kept going back into their room every time I got out of bed to call. I never knew which room they were in.
No one bothered to ask how our stay was; I was too tired to get into it this morning. Completely different attitude there than the place across the street where we usually stay.
We didn't spend another dime there for breakfast, just went to a diner.

They will make sure your own essay is actually mechanically audio when it comes to sentence structure, transliteration, in addition to general design. It is a great means for acquiring cost-free ease school admissions works, consequently maintain positivity to think about that option. grab my essay is best one and really awesome custom essay writing service providers.

Depends on the severity of the disturbance. I have given back whole nights (that one was due to a domestic disturbance that woke up 4 rooms and resulted in the police called. And once for a fire that burned out three rooms. We not only refunded them but paid for lodging elsewhere). I've also offered 10% discounts (for things like not having hot water, no coffee, housekeeper didn't clean the room, etc). Larger places will be able to go the value added discount route such as free drinks at the bar or free breakfast, but a small place won't be able to do that.

Back